Cell phone recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cleasai

Rock n' Roll Doggie
So, I want a new cell phone. What are your favorites? I currently have a Motorola V300 which I understand is not even offered by T-Mobile anymore. After researching new phones for the past month I don't even know what is good anymore. Feel free to recommend any type of cell but I tend to like clam shell phones the best. The last time I had an open faced phone I accidently called the emergency number 3 times even though the phone was "locked" :| I also would love it to have a multi mega-pixel camera on it.

Oh yea, I find the buttons on the Razr are too hard to manipulate with my stubby fingers. :mad:

I don't have any recommendations (as I've never had a cell phone... that's right, never!), but thanks for starting this thread because I'm also in the market for one :up: There are so many options, it'd be nice to narrow things down. I was considering the Razr but then a few people told me they're very delicate and break easily :shrug:

I have a razr, just got it. It's ok but the fact that it is so wide makes it kind of awkward to manage with one hand. I do like all the features on it though!

Yeah and the buttons are indeed kinda weird.. I sometimes end up hitting the wrong key.

my friend has this phone that rules

6800.jpg

i want it just cuz it looks cool

That'd be a godsend for drunken text messages :drool:

*recalls once message that was meant for icelle but ended up going to a girl I haven't spoken to in years* :uhoh:

Sicy said:
I have a razr, just got it. It's ok but the fact that it is so wide makes it kind of awkward to manage with one hand. I do like all the features on it though!

Yeah and the buttons are indeed kinda weird.. I sometimes end up hitting the wrong key.

Wow! :happy: I just got a Razr too.. with Verizon. I really like how it slips into my pocket! :combust: But I agree that the buttons are kinda weird. And I sometimes accidentally hit the buttons on the sides! :mad:

But overall, I like it! Great design! Great battery life! Great camera & speaker phone! :up: :up:

I hate the Razr. It's way too wide and clunky.

Is the Motorola PEBL available where you are? I like that one.

Cleasai said:
So, I want a new cell phone. What are your favorites? I currently have a Motorola V300 which I understand is not even offered by T-Mobile anymore. After researching new phones for the past month I don't even know what is good anymore. Feel free to recommend any type of cell but I tend to like clam shell phones the best. The last time I had an open faced phone I accidently called the emergency number 3 times even though the phone was "locked" :| I also would love it to have a multi mega-pixel camera on it.

Oh yea, I find the buttons on the Razr are too hard to manipulate with my stubby fingers. :mad:

I have the V360, which is causing me endless problems. The phone itself is excellent, but the battery was fucked and I'm having trouble with Telstra getting the fucking thing as I had it before. Long story, but I'd not not recommend it based on what's happened.
:up:

I set up my father's contacts on his Razr (he's old :wink: ) I thought it was difficult to navigate, but the screen sure was pretty.

I have an LG vx6000, its pretty simple but reliable.

The Razr and PEBL are nice looking but not all that as phones. I have a V330 (bridge phone between the V300 and V360), which is almost exactly like the 300, but with most of the kinks worked out. Still I don't like how it handles browsing and it's starting to get a bit crotchety. I'm seriously eyeing getting the SDA when I'm eligible for upgrading again. :drool:

Last edited:
Remember, the larger the cell phone, the more calls you can make with it.

These little tiny ones are only good for a dozen or so calls, then they stop working.

RedrocksU2 said:
I just got the Samsung A900 from Sprint, I like it. :up:

Looks nice, but aren't Sprint phones not really compatible with other carriers? I mean, my current phone has a SIM card in it which has my info. That way when I get a new phone I slip in the card and voila. I thought Sprint phones didn't have a SIM card?

So this is what we have recommended so far. The ones in bold look good to me so far.

Motorola V300 - Good basic, but out dated, phone.
Motorola V330 - Good basic, slightly improved, phone.
Motorola V360 - S'posedly even better basic phone with expandable mini SD slot. May have issues technically.
Motorola Pebl - Really good phone with tricky controls. Cousin of the Razr and Slvr.
Motorola Razr - Looks cool but hard to use.
Motorola Slvr - Basically an open faced version of a Razr.
LG vx6000 - Great phone overall however it has no analog roaming and can store only 20 images.
Nokia 6800 - Cool flip-out QWERTY keypad but is an old model. Was replaced by the 6820.
Nokia 6820 - Updated cool QWERTY flip-out phone. Excellent reviews from cnet.com
Samsung A900 - Razr alternative but better. Possibly only for Sprint users (?).

Last edited:
I have this phone. I get lots of comments on how cute it is. I really like it. It's a Samsung SGH-E335.

e335mid.gif

I have a Motorla V505 and I love it aside from the fact it starts dropping calls after talking about 20 mins if I've not turned the phone off for a couple hours at a time each week (this is what Cingular told me would remedy the problem and it works but I don't like to turn the phone off!)

I like the PEBL but Cingular doesn't offer it. It's cute and sporty looking and I like the different colors. I also like the Razr but don't know if I'm ready to get a phone upgrade just yet. If/when I do it'll be something with Cingular and something where I can use my SIM card.

Looks like you are doing a thorough investigation tho, Cleasai....good luck on your choice, let us know what you decide on!

Carek1230 said:
I like the PEBL but Cingular doesn't offer it. It's cute and sporty looking and I like the different colors. I also like the Razr but don't know if I'm ready to get a phone upgrade just yet. If/when I do it'll be something with Cingular and something where I can use my SIM card.

You don't have to use only their phones. I used to have Cingular but now have T-Mobile. I have been able to switch phones with no problem. Just make sure your info is on the SIM and not on the phone.

AngelofHarlem01 said:
Anyone tried any of the Kyocera phones from Virgin Mobile or know anything about their talk plans?

I've had a couple of friends who worked for them and would occasionally show me the latest models that they're trying out. They always look nice and sleek. I really don't know anything about them though. I guess that doesn't really help you any LOL.

Correction...wasn't actually recommending the v330 (it was discontinued anyway when the v360 came out), I was drooling more over the T-Mobile SDA!

You should go to www.howardforums.com, it's all about cell phones, and see what people have to say there.

Last edited:
I've been thinking about getting the new Virgin Mobile Switchback phone..I text more than talk so the keyboard feature would be handy, as well as the web browsing, although i'm not quite sure how that works on a phone..do you pay a seperate fee for the web feature?

ea6ce7d6.jpg

Right now I have the Samsung A840 for Sprint. I love clamshell phones and this one is the nicest so far for me. For one it's durable, easy to hold, not too heavy or clunky, and the buttons are easy to use.

I had the Sony Ericsson T226 for Cingular. It wasn't the best. It made me yearn even more for a clamshell. The buttons are sooo small (and I have small fingers too) and I always dial wrong numbers when the phone's in my pocket.

In short. I :heart: clamshells.

I got my phone fixed finally, and have to say it's brilliant. there was 2 problems with it, first a faulty battery, and then when they reinstalled the software, it didn't update properly so it wasn't actually the phone as i had first bitched it was, lol. but they sorted it out and it runs exceptionally well. it is neat, efficient, easy to customise, packed with more features than you will ever use, the clarity on the camera and video is second to none (it also has the best refresh rate i've ever seen), and it's bits are cheap - or at least they are here. i got the bluetooth, car handsfree, car charger, wall charger, extra memory card, lanyard, and some other thing for $69 extra.
i recommend the v360. best non-nokia ever
:up:

Back
Top Bottom