Celine Dion's "A New Day Has Come" Is Good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
I've watched the music video of "A New Day Has Come" several times over the past couple of weeks and saw her sing it on the Divas telecast after I had finished watching Conan the Barbarian tonight and I must say that this song is actually pretty good. The lyrics aren't brilliant but then I don't demand brilliance from every song that I hear. One thing though, the lyrics seem much more meaningful when Celine sings them considering it fits whats been going on her in life over the past couple of years. So I guess that helps makes the song more "meaningful" then a regular pop song.

I also have to say the music is great and the chorus isn't a typical pop chorus (seems like it would fit as a bridge or a verse rather then a chorus) thus making it more interesting to me. Love the sentiment behind it too. Celine has a great voice to boot and it adds to the song. Heck, when Celine was singing this song on Divas Live, she sang it well IMO cuz she sang it in an understated manner (unlike the usual Celine that I've heard.

I'm not a "fan" of Celine Dion, though her Titanic song is the other song I like, I just wanted to write something positive about Celine and this song b/c IMO it is actually good and the Divas performance left a very good impression on me tonight. She also looks pretty attractive these days...

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

you must be kidding me.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

Don't try to play it on your computer.

No, on second thought, go right ahead and play it on an iMac; you deserve the consequences for liking it.

~U2Alabama

I'm not kidding... actually decided to download it now.

smile.gif

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

I'm not a huge fan either, I liked the Titanic song but she did a really good job on the Diva's thing.

She's showing some versatility ( like the ACDC cover) which is cool. I thought it would be totally bad, but it was really pretty entertaining!

It would be interesting to see if she could write her own songs.

instead she takes other people's songs and takes in a % of the royalties.

I like it, too. *hangs head in shame* But it's a well written song. (Granted, she didn't write it.) I like the "hush now" part.

------------------
Sunday all the lights of London / Shining, sky is fading red to blue / I'm kicking through the Autumn leaves / And wondering where it is you might be going to

Love,
Emily

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html" TARGET=_blank>
Emily's Wallpapers
</A>

Actually I don't really mind/ care that much if a recording artist writes their own their songs to be honest. The fact that a singer does write their own material is only a bonus to me. When I listen to a song I don't jump up and down with glee that the singer wrote the lyrics or wrote that particular song.

Nothing to be ashamed of. No guilty pleasures here. And yesh, the hush part/ background vocals are cool.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 05-24-2002).]

here is an idea of what celion does for her albums....maybe I'm the only one that doesn't like it.

AP
Celine Dion

When Celine Dion sings "It's All Coming Back to Me Now," she really means it: The bestselling superstar is collecting a hefty percentage of the publishing rights of songs she herself did not write but performs on her new album. The album, "Let's Talk About Love," has sold about 12 million copies worldwide in its two months of release and is currently No. 2 on the Billboard Top 200. Dion does not write her own songs; she depends on professional songwriters to craft her hits. But on "Let's Talk About Love," Dion and her husband/manager, Ren? Angelil, asked the writers of all the songs submitted to them for up to 20 percent of the publishing money.

Some writers whose songs had been on previous Dion albums declined, and their songs were not used. But six songs by lesser-known writers, or writers without clout in the music industry, succumbed to Dion's demands. In one case ? a song called "The Reason," co-written by Carole King, Mark Hudson and Greg Wells ? the last two writers agreed to Dion's terms but were vetoed at the last minute by the veteran King, who refused to give in.

The song was still included on the album but not used ? as it had been advertised prior to release ? as the album's title. King's objections, however, are not reflected on the album's credits: Dion's music-publishing company, Duffield Music, is still listed as the co-publisher of "The Reason." Paul Farberman, a spokesman for Celine Dion, says that will be corrected in future printings of the album. King's manager, Lorna Guess, says, "They asked, and we said no. We never give publishing away." Guess says that King, who co-writes with many artists, has "never" been asked to do such a thing in the past by anyone.

Duffield Music's name is affixed to five more songs Celine Dion did not write, including two by Canadian pop singer Corey Hart. In this way, Duffield collects royalties on songs Dion did not write. She exacted a tariff on the writers, whose songs then appear on a bestselling album. The tariff can be as much as 25 percent of the royalties. "Basically, we were told it was the only way we could get on the album," says one songwriter.

All the writers declined to be interviewed for this story, fearing that Sony Music or Dion and Angelil would have them blackballed. "I have never, ever, been asked to give up publishing before this," says one writer. Bruce Brault, who manages Corey Hart, acknowledged that Duffield was collecting royalties on his client's songs, but refused to comment further. A spokesman for Sony ATV Music Publishing in Canada said that Duffield was "a company controlled by Celine Dion" and referred all questions to her office.

Interestingly, Dion's demand did not work with established writers such as David Foster, the Bee Gees or Bryan Adams. "Giving away publishing" has long been a tradition in the music business, as writers have had to make compromises to get their songs recorded. Elvis Presley, Celine's defenders point out, "did it all the time." However, it's not such a common practice these days: Indeed, divas like Barbra Streisand, Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey are not in the business of charging a fee to their songwriters.

Still, Dion's hefty take on "Let's Talk About Love" is unusually high for one album. Sources claim that Angelil received "an enormous amount of money to sign artists to the label, but he hasn't done so, so this is his way of paying it back." Because Angelil demanded publishing fees, some writers of hit songs from Dion's previous, Grammy-award-winning album Falling Into You, declined to be included. "I know for a fact that Jim Steinman and Billy Steinberg refused to give up their publishing. I consider it extortion or blackmail," says a source. "It's tacky," says one songwriter, who recalled the singer's royal-like wedding to Angelil, which was filmed by Lifetime Television. "How much money can Celine need?"

Paul Farberman, speaking for Dion, says that he personally negotiated all the deals on the album, and adds, "I made it clear that giving us publishing was not a prerequisite to being on the album." Farberman says that when about 25 songs were chosen from demo tapes, he called each writer's representative and told them Dion was asking them to "relinquish their rights," he says. Writers who objected or declined were not omitted, he insists, from the final selection process. "And some songs were recorded anyway," he observes.

But songs by Jim Steinman, Diane Warren and Billy Steinberg ? all of whom had hits on previous Dion albums but refused to give up a percentage of their publishing rights ? were deemed by Dion and Angelil "not among the best 14 or 15 songs. In the end it was about having the best songs." Ultimately, counters Farberman, "anyone who says we told them they couldn't be on the album otherwise is not telling the truth. It may just be a songwriter who was disappointed that they didn't make it." This is not the first time such a problem has arisen for Dion: on Falling Into You, several songs are co-published by CRB Music, another one of her subsidiaries.

Originally posted by BEAL:
It would be interesting to see if she could write her own songs.

instead she takes other people's songs and takes in a % of the royalties.

Didn't know that she doesn't write her own songs. Hmmm...more reason not to like her.

Back
Top Bottom