"Celine Dion unleashes wave of destruction on Mac users"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevatedmole

Rock n' Roll Doggie
That wicked bitch. I know what you mean about the whole Computer/stereo thing. I have friends like that. I like playing CDs while I am on the puter. I do it all the time at work since I am at a puter for just about the whole time I am at work, and if I am at home I don't have a stereo near my puter to listen to it and I don't wanna blare it from the other side of the house just to listen to some thing. I think that they have gone a little to far. They could have done some thing that crashes or messes up the system if there is an attempt to burn or clone the CD. They just assumed that everyone who puts a CD in there machine has the intention of stealing the music. I am glad I do not like her. I wish I did though just so I could say that she lost my business. That is just straight up fucked up. It is malicious. It is stereo typing to.

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

That's what you get with deregulation, folks. Big business gets to legally rape you, metaphorically speaking.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

and all new U2 releases will feature this feature as well.
frown.gif

Meh, the way I see it, its just a matter of time before the hackers get their hands on it and find a technological way around it. They always do. I wouldnt stress it too much. You tell people they cant do something and theyll damn sure find a way to do it, and once they do theyll get everyone else in on it too. I suspect this new technology wont be incapacitating computers for any longer than 8 months... The record companies are only going to end up hurting themselves in the end. They can keep developing and wasting money but people will keep cracking it.

I hope they have some kind of obvious warning label on the discs so people don't ruin their computers. If they don't they could be asking for trouble. Why would they want to cause people trouble if they want to *play* music on their computer?

We recently got one of the new iMacs and it has great sound. It will be sad if they make it impossible for us to play music on it.

Wouldn't you think it would be better to do something so the music couldn't be *copied* rather than making it impossible to play? You'd think with all the technology out there it could be done. I can undersatnd artists not wanting people to copy music, but there should be a distinction between copying and playing.

Okay...I'll get off my soapbox and quit rambling now.

------------------
Cheers!
Meringue

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-bitch."
-Jack Nicholson

Originally posted by Lemon Meringue:
I hope they have some kind of obvious warning label on the discs so people don't ruin their computers. If they don't they could be asking for trouble. Why would they want to cause people trouble if they want to *play* music on their computer?

Unfortunately, I believe they didn't have any warning at all. Maybe the record companies didn't know -- although that is pretty stupid.

------------------
"I dance much better horizontally than vertically." - Bono

Popheart.org

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
Meh, the way I see it, its just a matter of time before the hackers get their hands on it and find a technological way around it.

They have since last fall. These stunts were tested in Europe first, and the hackers destroyed it in no time at all. I'm guessing that the music industry figures that most people will never bother to hack it.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

I noticed that the article also mentioned All This Time by Sting. There is an odd thing about that CD--my portable CD player won't play it. The same CD player also will not play my copy of Midnight Oil's Capricornia. But you can definitely put Capricornia into a computer, because it has an mpeg interview that I've watched. I just wondered if there was a connection. My regular stereo will play both these CDs. Probably just coincidence.

Where does it say that all future U2 CDs will have this feature?

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 05-20-2002).]

Originally posted by scatteroflight:
I noticed that the article also mentioned All This Time by Sting. There is an odd thing about that CD--my portable CD player won't play it. The same CD player also will not play my copy of Midnight Oil's Capricornia. But you can definitely put Capricornia into a computer, because it has an mpeg interview that I've watched. I just wondered if there was a connection. My regular stereo will play both these CDs. Probably just coincidence.

Where does it say that all future U2 CDs will have this feature?

First, you brought up an interesting idea: will "enhanced" CDs no longer exist if this type of copyright protection continues on CDs?
And second, I believe what Khanada meant was that most (if not all major ones) record companies will have some form of protection on their CDs, and Interscope (U2's label) will most likely have it, thus U2's albums will be protected.

------------------

Popheart.org

Coincidentally, I got the following mail in my mailbox this morning (ie. 5 minutes ago)

Subject: The Pen is Mightier than the Copy Protection...

Another one of those hard to believe stories:
Major music labels, including Sony and Universal Music, have begun selling the "copy-proof" discs as a means of tackling the rampant spread of music piracy, which they claim is eating into sales.

The new technology aims to prevent consumers from copying, or "burning," music onto recordable CDs or onto their computer hard drives, which can then be shared with other users over file-sharing Internet services such as Kazaa or Morpheus MusicCity.

Sony's proprietary technology, deployed on many recent releases, works by adding a track to the copy-protected disc that contains bogus data.

Because computer hard drives are programmed to read data files first, the computer will continuously try to play the bogus track first. It never gets to play the music tracks located elsewhere on the compact disc.

The effect is that the copy-protected disc will play on standard CD players but not on computer CD-ROM drives, some portable devices, and even some car stereo systems.

Technology buffs immediately cracked music publishing giant Sony Music's elaborate disc copy-protection technology with a decidedly low-tech method: scribbling around the rim of a disk with a felt-tip marker.

Internet newsgroups have been circulating news of the discovery for the past week, and in typical newsgroup style, users have pilloried Sony for using "high-tech" copy protection that can be defeated by paying a visit to a stationery store.

"I wonder what type of copy protection will come next?" one posting on alt.music.prince read. "Maybe they'll ban markers."

Sony did not immediately return calls seeking comment on whether they will take steps against the marker industry.

Don't ask me how it exactly works, but the copy protection can apparently be hacked in no time.
On the other hand, maybe your computer deserves to die when there is a Celine Dion CD in the CD-ROM player...
smile.gif

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
First, you brought up an interesting idea: will "enhanced" CDs no longer exist if this type of copyright protection continues on CDs?

Good point I have some CDs that are "enhanced" and have extra data stuff on them. Interseting to think about.

------------------
When life hands you a lemon, say "Oh yeah, I like lemons. What else you got?" --Henry Rollins

Originally posted by Popmartijn:

Don't ask me how it exactly works, but the copy protection can apparently be hacked in no time.
On the other hand, maybe your computer deserves to die when there is a Celine Dion CD in the CD-ROM player...
smile.gif

Hahaha.. thanks for the article, Popmartijn.
biggrin.gif
I'm certainly glad they cracked it so fast.

Originally posted by ghetofabu:
Good point I have some CDs that are "enhanced" and have extra data stuff on them. Interseting to think about.

I do wonder what they plan to do.. but I hate enhanced CDs. Maybe it's just because I have an old computer, but enhanced CDs never seem to work for me -- or, as in the case of my Beautifulgarbage CD, it shows me the little remix thing you can do but I can't play the album tracks.
mad.gif

------------------

Popheart.org

Back
Top Bottom