CDs everyone must have in their cd collection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This thread is completely pointless. :down:
Some wanking about CDs that you need to have in your collection for others to see, just to show off that you're such a good music fan.
Yet, in the previous 30 posts not one person named a single album by Bob Dylan or The Jimi Hendrix Experience. And these are 2 of the greatest innovators in rock music. Not to mention all those other artists that have shaped music into what it is today or who made this brilliant album everyone has to hear.

:tsk:

Re: Re: CDs everyone must have in their cd collection

Shag On A Rock said:

Australian music doesn't suck that much. Well some bands do but not all of them.

At the moment, it's an utter disgrace....

So bad, that we are under some wild misconception that Missy Higgins and Jet are worthy of worship, when really they are churning out utter garbage, and both sold out before they even released their first album.

Motor Ace (an refreshingly honest and musically enchanting band) have split after just 3 albums....and what a musically barren landscape they have left behind.

Bring back the glory days of Men at Work, Cold Chisel, Midnight Oil, "real" INXS, 1927, Dragon, RatCat and Things of Stone and Wood...

Kylie Minogue is the best thing going around...and she doesn't even write her own music!

financeguy said:
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

Someone mentioned before - and I agree - that certain 'classic' albums aren't always what they're cracked up to be.

The album mentioned above was everything it was claimed to be -and more.

Best album ever. An absolute masterpiece. No one has bettered the Stone Roses' self-titled. Utterly gorgeous in every respect.

Achtung Baby
Sgt Peppers
Ok Computer
Dark Side of the Moon
Throwing Copper
Pills Thrills and Bellyaches
Any compilation of the Kinks earlier stuff
Meat is Murder

They are all just so marvellously enjoyable..

DignityPassesBy said:
I dont like jimmy hendrix and i probably never will i don't like his music, i think jeff buckleys album grace is better than anything he ever wrote.

It's not a question about liking an artist or not in this thread.
You need to have CDs by The Jimi Hendrix Experience in your collection, otherwise you're not a worthy music fan.

Popmartijn said:

It's not a question about liking an artist or not in this thread.
You need to have CDs by The Jimi Hendrix Experience in your collection, otherwise you're not a worthy music fan.

Says who? You? Then I guess you are participating in "a completly pointless thread".

People revolve aroud in different spheres. Not much Jazz is up here, or classical, or big band. Yet all of these might be essential to one taste or another.

People here seem inclinded towards "alt rocK" and might have a difference of opinion about good old Jimmy...(Though you and I should both get together and :drool: over Highway Chile some time.)

Essentials (In no Order):

The Joshua Tree
Atchung
Ok Computor
The White Album
Highway 61
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
London Calling
Disreali Gears
Deja Vu
Led Zepplin 2
Transformer
Neil Young's Greatest Hits (Not ideal but the best I could think of)
Flaming Pie
Between the Buttons
Exile on MainStreet
The Stone Loses
Live at Leeds

Tarvark said:
Says who? You? Then I guess you are participating in "a completly pointless thread".

No, the original poster implied this:
CrashedCarDriver said:
you dont necessarily have to listen to them

but you sure need them

What else do you need them for if you don't necessarily have to listen to them?

My list includes only cds that I currently own. Sadly, I lost many great records in a basement flood a few years ago.

Beatles - Sgt Peppers
Crowded House - Woodface
Clash - London Calling
Dire Straits - Making Movies
The Doors - The Doors
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Vince Gill - High Lonesome Sound
Elton John - Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player
Carole King - Tapestry
Led Zeppelin - II
Sarah Mclachlan - Fumbling Towards Ecstasy
Joni Mitchell - Court and Spark
Van Morrison - Avalon Sunset
Pearl Jam - Ten
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Damn The Torpedoes
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Police - Ghose In The Machine
Prince - Purple Rain
Pretenders - Pretenders
R.E.M.- Automatic For The People
Rolling Stones - Some Girls
Simon and Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
Bruce Spingsteen - Born To Run
Cat Stevens - Tea For The Tillerman
Talking Heads - Sand In the Vaseline (a greatest hits but I couldn't just pick one album by them)
U2 - Achtung Baby
Stevie Wonder - Original Musiquarium I
Neil Young - Harvest

I tried to stick with the one artist = 1 album rule

Popmartijn said:

No, the original poster implied this:

What else do you need them for if you don't necessarily have to listen to them?

Sorry lines got crossed. I think he means some essential albums to the music world.

I was commenting on your saying this was a pointless thread, then going out and saying:

Bono's shades said:
Isn't "CDs everyone must own" just another way of saying "CDs I really love"? :wink:

Well....for most people's lists that is indeed true, but my list is truly the list of cd's everyone should own, because my taste is absolutely perfect. Even if most people don't seem to realise that simple fact. :mad:

:wink:

fah said:
Crowded House - Woodface

Wow, Woodface? I'd have to disagree quite strongly there, as I think it's the only Crowded House album to have significant filler - I feel it really falls off after Fame Is.

If I were to choose just one Crowdies album for this essentials list, it would be Together Alone. It would be the perfect album if it weren't for Pineapple Head.

Bono's shades said:
Isn't "CDs everyone must own" just another way of saying "CDs I really love"? :wink:

yes, but in order to avoid the whining of jackasses like myself ( "we just had this thread!" ), you must disguise your thread titles. it's the same as the euphemistic differences in "i hate [insert band name here]" threads, and "list the bands you dislike" threads. somehow, the latter are allowed (or the mods don't close them down until people are at each other's throats), and people will always find new ways to title them to start essentially the same thread. i hate coldplay, the beatles are overrated, so-and-so sucks, etc.

oh, and like popmartijn said, that "you don't need to listen to them" comment pretty much sums it up.

Velvet Underground- Velvet Underground
Van Morrison- Astral Weeks (!!!!)
Van Morrsion- Moondance
Beatles- Rubber Soul
U2- Achtung Baby
Santana- Abraxas
REM- Out of Time
Aimee Mann- Bachelor No. 2
U2- Joshua Tree
Bob Dylan- Blood On the Tracks
Flaming Lips- Yoshimi's Pink Robot whatever

sort of a shitty list because there are a lot of albums I really like but I don't know if everyone must have them :wink:

but if you don't own Astral Weeks, you should.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
arcade fire has been mentioned and no one's yet mentioned abbey road

:tsk: for shame

The Beatles aren't as fashionable right now as Canadian indie "collectives" with 11 ever-changing members.

shrmn8rpoptart said:
^how about the hoodoo's "ampology"? as far as an aussie band that definitely does NOT suck!

Ahh! The Hoodoo Gurus. One of my favs.

Is any band more fun to listen to than the Hoodoos?

God bless'em.

Back
Top Bottom