CD Storage question - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2005, 08:38 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:41 AM
CD Storage question

I have recently surpassed the 350 CD mark and my CD rack is out of space. I saw a few larger CD storage cabinets/shelves/cases at Tower Records, but before I go back to look at them, I thought I'd ask all of you how you store your CDs. I'm especially interested in hearing from people with large collections. Mine seems to be growing by the minute. And I store them in their cases, if anyone was wondering. Also, I'd prefer to have them all on one thing, rather than having them on multiple smaller racks.

So, any ideas on how to nicely display and store a large number of CDs?

Old 01-06-2005, 08:43 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:41 AM
Do you live in a place where you can build shelving to hold them? That's what I like as it is sturdy and easily enlarged (just add more shelves ).

Old 01-06-2005, 08:52 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I live in an apartment, so pretty much anything I use can't alter the place. One of my friends has built-in shelves in her house. That would be nice if it were an option.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
New Yorker

Rip them all onto your comp and put them in boxes. Not very pretty, but it's the most pragmatic if you move around a lot like me.

I just burn them onto CD-Rs (usually with B-sides and such) when I want to put them in my car's CD changer or something (keeps the originals from getting scratched up too).
Old 01-06-2005, 08:56 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:41 AM
I have 800 or so. Way back when, i bought a small rack. Then I built another small rack. Then I bought a big rack. Then my brother built me another big rack. I shoulda built 1 big one 10 years ago, cause you tend to fill them.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:10 PM   #6
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 01:41 AM
You know how I store mine, H to the G. For those who dont know, I have a decent sized case. Holds around 600 to 650. I dont remember the exact number.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

I'm having the same problem, HG. I've got one cd shelf (like a bookshelf for cds) that holds about 300 plus 4 additional smaller ones, plus some in boxes in the closet, plus a bunch in a bag in the trunk of my car to trade in. It's out of control. And this is after 2 moves where I paired down my collection by about 100 cds.

I've looked everywhere for one that holds all of them--I like the ones that are like bookshelves for cds, like a piece of furniture--but I think the solution is to get two big matching ones. The one I have I got from a flea market. I've been looking at Pottery Barn and Ikea online but haven't found the right thing yet. Then again, maybe I should have one built--I know a couple of good carpenters.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #8
New Yorker

I have a case from Ikea. It does not hold all mine (I have about 500 or so CD's). There are two stacks of CD's on top of the IKEA case now and my desk is piled with them. Both of those areas are running out of space.

One of my friends built what resembles a bookcase to store his CD's/DVD's. I think this is the way to go, if you have space.

If I had my own place I would build something into a wall.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:31 AM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:41 AM
I'm using the Benno from IKEA (their names are universal, right?). Holds about 180 CDs, so you will need several (I have 3 at the moment, but will need a fourth soon).

C ya!

Marty
Old 01-07-2005, 01:42 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:41 AM
This is problematic, especially for me still living at home or at school. I have 1 larger rack, 1 spinning rack, 1 reasonably tall rack, one two tiered wave rack, 1 home-made nightstand/Cd- rack, a bunch of little blue box stackable racks, and a cd locker. It's gonna be such a bitch to move these things.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:57 AM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 07:41 AM
I've got over a 1000 CD's in my collection, funny you asking this but I'm just about to go through my collection and tidy it all up this weekend!

I'm planning on putting all my CD's into CD folder books, keep the booklet and CD and bin the case as they take up a hell of a lot of space. I've recently done that with my DVD's, it only took 6 small folders and now I've gained a lot of space back, so doing something similar with CD's will help me out a lot.
Old 01-07-2005, 02:15 AM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

i've taken to kicking books off bookshelves and putting them in piles on my floor to make room for cds on the shelves.

it doesn't really work...
Old 01-07-2005, 03:12 AM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 08:41 AM
small racks all over the place. one box for cd-singles. another box for special editions that don't fit in the racks.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:37 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:41 PM
I use my bookshelf, a container box with drawers, and I stack them on my computer.

I only have 200 CDs or so but at this rate before five years is up I expect to double that number.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:11 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:41 AM
I'm lucky to have a bookshelf in my room that takes up the whole wall and reaches the ceiling. Currently I've got eight CD racks that fit 60 discs each, and right now I've got 7-and-a-half full. I intend to solve this problem (for a while at least) by combing through my collection for albums that only have 1-3 songs I really listen to, and burn these songs on a compilation CD.