CD Storage question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeartlandGirl

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
I have recently surpassed the 350 CD mark and my CD rack is out of space. I saw a few larger CD storage cabinets/shelves/cases at Tower Records, but before I go back to look at them, I thought I'd ask all of you how you store your CDs. I'm especially interested in hearing from people with large collections. Mine seems to be growing by the minute. And I store them in their cases, if anyone was wondering. Also, I'd prefer to have them all on one thing, rather than having them on multiple smaller racks.

So, any ideas on how to nicely display and store a large number of CDs?

Do you live in a place where you can build shelving to hold them? That's what I like as it is sturdy and easily enlarged (just add more shelves :) ).

I live in an apartment, so pretty much anything I use can't alter the place. One of my friends has built-in shelves in her house. That would be nice if it were an option. :up:

Rip them all onto your comp and put them in boxes. Not very pretty, but it's the most pragmatic if you move around a lot like me.

I just burn them onto CD-Rs (usually with B-sides and such) when I want to put them in my car's CD changer or something (keeps the originals from getting scratched up too).

Last edited:
I have 800 or so. Way back when, i bought a small rack. Then I built another small rack. Then I bought a big rack. Then my brother built me another big rack. I shoulda built 1 big one 10 years ago, cause you tend to fill them.

You know how I store mine, H to the G. For those who dont know, I have a decent sized case. Holds around 600 to 650. I dont remember the exact number.

I'm having the same problem, HG. I've got one cd shelf (like a bookshelf for cds) that holds about 300 plus 4 additional smaller ones, plus some in boxes in the closet, plus a bunch in a bag in the trunk of my car to trade in. :| It's out of control. And this is after 2 moves where I paired down my collection by about 100 cds.

I've looked everywhere for one that holds all of them--I like the ones that are like bookshelves for cds, like a piece of furniture--but I think the solution is to get two big matching ones. The one I have I got from a flea market. I've been looking at Pottery Barn and Ikea online but haven't found the right thing yet. Then again, maybe I should have one built--I know a couple of good carpenters. :hmm:

Last edited:
I have a case from Ikea. It does not hold all mine (I have about 500 or so CD's). There are two stacks of CD's on top of the IKEA case now and my desk is piled with them. Both of those areas are running out of space.

One of my friends built what resembles a bookcase to store his CD's/DVD's. I think this is the way to go, if you have space.

If I had my own place I would build something into a wall.

I'm using the Benno from IKEA (their names are universal, right?). Holds about 180 CDs, so you will need several (I have 3 at the moment, but will need a fourth soon).

C ya!

Marty

This is problematic, especially for me still living at home or at school. I have 1 larger rack, 1 spinning rack, 1 reasonably tall rack, one two tiered wave rack, 1 home-made nightstand/Cd- rack, a bunch of little blue box stackable racks, and a cd locker. It's gonna be such a bitch to move these things.

I've got over a 1000 CD's in my collection, funny you asking this but I'm just about to go through my collection and tidy it all up this weekend!

I'm planning on putting all my CD's into CD folder books, keep the booklet and CD and bin the case as they take up a hell of a lot of space. I've recently done that with my DVD's, it only took 6 small folders and now I've gained a lot of space back, so doing something similar with CD's will help me out a lot.

i've taken to kicking books off bookshelves and putting them in piles on my floor to make room for cds on the shelves.

it doesn't really work...

small racks all over the place. one box for cd-singles. another box for special editions that don't fit in the racks.

I use my bookshelf, a container box with drawers, and I stack them on my computer.

I only have 200 CDs or so but at this rate before five years is up I expect to double that number.

I'm lucky to have a bookshelf in my room that takes up the whole wall and reaches the ceiling. Currently I've got eight CD racks that fit 60 discs each, and right now I've got 7-and-a-half full. I intend to solve this problem (for a while at least) by combing through my collection for albums that only have 1-3 songs I really listen to, and burn these songs on a compilation CD.

Popmartijn said:
I'm using the Benno from IKEA (their names are universal, right?). Holds about 180 CDs, so you will need several (I have 3 at the moment, but will need a fourth soon).

C ya!

Marty

I saw this one on the Ikea website, I need to get me a few of those :drool: . I now have my 200+ cds and all my U2 stuff in 4 different racks. :mad: At least the Ikea one seems to be able to store all those limited editions and special packages I love.

My cd collection is eating my entire room. I've got them everywhere...in cases, in books, I have boxes of burned ones in my closet. It's starting to stress me out. Plus I've got records, cassettes, 45s....:|

342724%3B523232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3236%3E7%3B4%3E793%3EWSNRCG%3D32327%3B6689835nu0mrj

My Mom's boyfriend made this for me for Christmas, and it's already full, lol. It holds about 300, and the bottom shelf is for DVDs (I put all my music ones there - it holds about 30). I still have two other racks I need, especially since I haven't even gotten my U2 ones out of their boxes since I've moved. :der:

April, you still owe me a pic of the full case. :mad: Have you already ordered your mum's boyfriend to make me a similar case? :wink:

I'm facing the same dilemma. The thing I have now holds about 300 and I got it at Target. It's a decent-looking piece of furniture. I'm looking at one at Office Max that holds 700 cds. It's about $80, but it should do for a while. (If only I can find a place in the house to put it. I think the couch may have to go. The dog is the only one who uses that couch.) That way I can put all the non-U2 cds in the new thing, and use the Target thing for U2 discs. I like to keep the discs in the jewel boxes. They're less likely to scratch, and I have all the inserts where I can find them.

I use an iPod, my CDS are all boxed away

buy a cassette adapter so you can listen to it in the car, and speakers so you can listen to it around the home:)

holds a lot of cds!

Balfron said:
I use an iPod, my CDS are all boxed away

buy a cassette adapter so you can listen to it in the car, and speakers so you can listen to it around the home:)

holds a lot of cds!

I do the same, except I greatly prefer the itrip, however, i still buy lots of cds, lets hope you do too.

Glad I'm not the only one with a problem, here. I failed to mention that I have my U2 CDs and some Placebo CDs displayed on the wall via these cool things I bought (can't remember the name). The CDs slide into these black plastic holders, you hang them on the wall, and the front of the case opens so you can get the CD out. :up:

Anyway, guess there's not much to do but find a bigger case or another case similar to the one I have until I buy that house in Paradise Valley. :wink:

Last edited:
I have over 900 cds

I keep 800 or so of them in a rotating cd stand. The stand has 4 sides with 8 shelves on each side (each shelf holds 25cds). It's fairly compact, not overly attractive but it does the job. I need to buy/find another one.

The extra 100 or so cds are currently living in an IKEA cd stand that my brother gave me cuz he hated it.

Back
Top Bottom