CBGBs (The end of an era)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laird/Bono

Refugee
:grumpy: We're counting down to the end of an era here in New York. CBGBs the birthplace of Punk, is about to go the way of LP records and the Do-Do bird. Many of you out there in interferenceland may be too young to remember this club but I can tell you this. The fact that this place is being shut down is a crime. I've seen many a show at CBs, I watched Slash (Guns and Roses) fall off a barstool and not spill his drink. I sat 3 feet from Joey Ramone at the bar and watched him sleep through a Living Colour set ( lol ) How could we have allowed this piece of NYC/Punk history vanish? It's so sad....
If there was never a CBGBs... there would never have been a punk scene to begin with in New York, hence No Ramones... hence no Clash, no Sex Pistols and quite possibly......... (dare I say it?) No U2 :slant:

http://myspace.com/pridetheu2show
http://pridetheu2show.com

Last edited:
It pisses me off that I'll never get to go there. To me, Sun Studio in Memphis and CBGBs are 'the motherland" musically. I got to Sun 4 years ago. Alas, no CBGB for me...

~LadyLemon~ said:
It pisses me off that I'll never get to go there. To me, Sun Studio in Memphis and CBGBs are 'the motherland" musically. I got to Sun 4 years ago. Alas, no CBGB for me...

I would add Chess studios, Electric Ladyland, Motown's Studio A, Stax studios and Capitol Records in Los Angeles.

i finally made it down to CBGB's a few months ago... one of those things where there's so many things in New York that ya just take some of 'em for granted (stil haven't been to the statue of liberty or gone to times square for new year's... despite living here my entire life).

the place is an absolute dump lol... but everyone knows it's a dump, it's part of the charm. very very loud, too.

only stayed for an hour or two, but glad i did... there is deffinetly an atmosphere about the place that was electric.

I went in college with a bunch of people who couldn't have cared less. I think maybe Filter was playing that night or something, and Marky Mark was trying to be incognito.

I remember having to bribe someone to sell me a shirt there because they had "just closed the cash register, and didn't want to open it back up." At the time, as a touristy Floridian, I was like "OMG how rude!"

I don't think I was ever prouder of a t-shirt. Still have it, and glad I didn't buy it at Urban Outfitters next to "vintage" ACDC t-shirts.

I can't believe that all (or at least some) of the bands that played there haven't stepped up and "rescued" the room. It can't cost THAT much can it??? Sounds like a classic case of DROPPING THE BALL to me.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061016...3IvoJNxFb8C;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

NEW YORK - The final chords reverberated off the black, sticker-covered walls of CBGB as the grungy, iconic club toasted the end of its 33-year residence in New York. Rock poet Patti Smith headlined the Sunday night concert, CBGB's last before eviction by its landlord — the Bowery Residents Committee, a homeless advocacy group that owns the property. The club will close Oct. 31.

Hundreds of music fans packed the small downtown club Sunday, while reporters hovered outside. The mood was both somber and raucous at CBGB, hailed by many as the birthplace of punk.

"This place is not a ... temple," Smith said during the concert. "It is what it is."

She refused to wax nostalgic, instead claiming at a pre-show news conference that doubled as a sound check that "CBGB's is a state of mind" that will carry on elsewhere for a new generation. She later noted with relish that CBGB, at 33, was the same age as Jesus.

Red Hot Chili Peppers bassist Flea surprised the audience, joining Smith's band for much of her second set. Having turned 44 at midnight, he was treated to a loud, enthusiastic "Happy Birthday" by the band and crowd.

Much of the concert was filled with reminders of changed times. Sirius Satellite Radio broadcast the show live, and digital cameras populated the audience.

Nevertheless, Smith often struck a '60s vibe, urging change and awareness of issues such as the disputed treatment of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay. She sang covers of the Who's "My Generation" and the Rolling Stones' "Gimme Shelter" with obvious parallels to CBGB.

The club was founded by Hilly Kristal in 1973 and over the years helped spawn the careers of such acts as the Ramones, Blondie, the Talking Heads and Television. Though its glory days are long gone, it has remained a symbolic fixture on the Manhattan music scene.

The crowd paid tribute to many of the bands forever connected to the club — including several chants of "Hey ho, let's go!" from the Ramones' classic "Blitzkrieg Bop."

Chris Frantz and Tina Weymouth of the Talking Heads were on hand, as was E Street Band guitarist Little Steven Van Zandt, who had battled to keep the club open during the protracted dispute over its future.

The Bowery Residents Committee's decision not to renew CBGB's lease when it ran out in August 2005 sparked protests, tributes and vigils for more than a year. Kristal recently gave up his legal fight to stay.

Though weary from his battle with lung cancer, he remains combative about his club's exodus from the Bowery, and said Sunday he was "very disappointed" in Mayor Michael Bloomberg for not saving the club.

Still, he says he remains focused on "generating the energy" for CBGB, which he plans to move to Las Vegas. It's very much alive as a brand, too. Kristal will transplant its store, CBGB Fashions, to a new location a few blocks away on Nov. 1.

"I'm thinking about tomorrow and the next day and the next day, and going on to do more with CBGB's," Kristal said Sunday.

Frantz said he and his wife, Weymouth, had to attend the finale because CBGB is like the "center of gravity for us." He reflected on the club where the Talking Heads got their big break.

"It just had a super cool ambiance or electric vibe ... even though it was pretty much a dump," Frantz said.

With a capacity of barely 300, CBGB was founded as a place of freedom for different musical acts. Smith said Kristal "always gave us a job, just like tonight."

"He was our champion and in those days, there were very few," she added.

Though its letters stand for the music Kristal originally planned to present there — country, bluegrass and blues — it quickly came to represent the physical epicenter of early punk and the storied downtown scene of 1970s New York.

Smith's final encore was a quiet poem listing many of the musicians who have died in the years since they played CBGB, but perhaps the more fitting send-off came right before it. The band played the punk staple "Gloria," verging back and forth between choruses of "Gloria! G-L-O-R-I-A!" and "Hey ho, let's go!"

The crowd shook its fists high for the Ramones' classic — an anthem to CBGB and so much more

Headache in a Suitcase said:
i finally made it down to CBGB's a few months ago... one of those things where there's so many things in New York that ya just take some of 'em for granted (stil haven't been to the statue of liberty or gone to times square for new year's... despite living here my entire life).

I never made it. :sad: I did get to the statue of liberty for the first time a few years ago. Very cool, worth a trip.

Seems you Americans have the same respect as us English when it comes to musical history venues after what happened to the Cavern, Roundhouse e.t.c over here.

zoobeatle said:
Seems you Americans have the same respect as us English when it comes to musical history venues after what happened to the Cavern, Roundhouse e.t.c over here.

only if we can put its logo on a tshirt and sell it to kids who don't live anywhere near ny.

Back
Top Bottom