Catcher In The Rye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Poco

Babyface
Anyone ever read this book?
Apparently Mark Chapman was reading it round about the time he shot John Lennon
What's it about?

Cheers
P

I read it when I was in like 8th grade. I was sitting in the library reading and one of my teachers, Mr. Petrencik, said "You know what? Here´s a good book." He grabbed Catcher in the Rhye and gave it to me. I checked it out of the library about 3 or 4 times later on.

I should read it again because I don´t remember it so well. Everytime you read a book you understand something new that you had missed before.

I read this book in high school. It was good, but not as good as it's made out to be. I couldn't sympathise with Holden at all.

Yeah MDC gave a copy of the book to an officer when he was arrested for murdering John Lennon and had written "This is my statement" on the inside cover. He saw himself as a real-life Holdon cCulfiend and tried to re-enact parts of the book in the days leading up to the murder

The dufus who killed the actress Rebecca Schafer(sp) also had a copy of "The catcher in the rye" when he was arrested, along with a tape of "The Joshua Tree". I saw a documentry on that case a few years ago and the song "Exit" was actually brought up in court by the dingbats lawyer(I can't remember his name) as having driven him to murder and been an inspiration to him.

Last edited:
I'm Ready said:
it's my favorite book

:up:

it's mine as well :up:

I don't like it as much as my friend though, he can recite the entire first chapter...backwards :huh: I'd be lucky to get through the first paragraph forwards!

but it's a fantastic book, I think. for me the thing that really makes it great is the writing style. chances are you'll either love it or just go "I don't get it, this is boring." for me the writing style gets stuck in my head. the rambling. whenever I've been reading The Catcher in the Rye you can tell because I start talking like Holden!

man now I wanna go read it again, I haven't read it in a couple months... I think we get to read it for school soon though :drool:

Back
Top Bottom