Catch Up With Your Favorite 1990s One-Hit Wonders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cujo said:
500 miles... The Proclaimers.

Haha, when you had just forgotten it. Eat that!

:up:

They used to play that song on the radio every 10 mins the summer it came out. Sheesh. I liked it though.....I still do.....

'Rump Shaker' by Tag Team. Ma Bell knows what I'm talkin' about. :up:

You're damn right. :sexywink:

Only I'm pretty sure Wrecks-N-Effect sang Rump Shaker. Don't make me rap the whole song right here and now, because I will do it!

Some other booty-shakin' one-hit wonders:
Daisy Dukes
The Dip
C'mon Ride the Train - Quad City DJs
Whoomp! There It Is! - Tag Team
Knockin' Boots - Candyman :up:

Crap, you're right. You've knowledge of '90's radio hits blows mine out of the water!

Here's an '80's one hit wonder I love:

Icehouse - 'Electric Blue'

:lol: I don't know whether or not to be proud or ashamed! I grew up in such a small town (there were 12 kids in my graduating class), so I had lots of free time. Then again, it's amazing I ever heard anything that wasn't country music.

Here are a few other great ones from that wonderful source for one hit wonders, the MTV Party to Go CD Collection!

Freak Like Me - Adina Howard
This Is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
Missing - Everything But the Girl
Set U Free - Planet Soul (I loved dancing to this in clubs)
Feels Good - Tony! Toni! Tone!
Don't Wanna Fall in Love - Jane Child

And a really good song...not sure if I'll get the title exactly right:
Never Met a Girl Like You Before - Edwyn Collins

HeartlandGirl said:

Holy crap, I havent heard that song for ever!!! I'm off to find it to download right now!

'80's One hit wonder great:

'Cool For Cats' by Squeeze.

Last edited:
HeartlandGirl said:

Apparently it's called : 'A Girl Like You'

I know have it on my computer....

u2popmofo said:
Crap, you're right. You've knowledge of '90's radio hits blows mine out of the water!

Here's an '80's one hit wonder I love:

Icehouse - 'Electric Blue'

You got Icehouse??? Tres excellent. They had a bunch of other hits over here, but that was probably their biggest, internationally too it would seem. It was kinda sad cos at the time, Icehouse were seen as the poor man's INXS, and INXS at that time were seen as the poor man's U2.
You want to check out a song called Love In Motion by Icehouse with/feat. Chrissie Amphlett. Its very, I dunno, hard to describe really. A little bit lounge lizard.
Excellent song, underrated terribly I think.

Anyone remember Enigma?

Return to Innocence etc...

Made an appearance in every movie/commercial of that year.

cujo said:
Anyone remember Enigma?

Return to Innocence etc...

Made an appearance in every movie/commercial of that year.

Ah yes, a song who's yelling would make Tarzan proud.

What was the other song with the Tarzan yell in it? I remember there was some type of mouth wash commercial that used the song also. If someone can figure the song out from my crappy description, I will be very impressed.

Damn! I could sing it for you, but I have no idea what it's called.

Anyway, I'd call Enigma a two-hit wonder. First with "Sadeness Part I" and then "Return to Innocence." Their first album was so wonderful to listen to, but of course, someone stole mine. :angry: Loved Return to Innocence as well.

And at 12 kids, my graduating class was pretty big. That year's freshman class had 5 kids. :wink:

u2popmofo said:
What was the other song with the Tarzan yell in it? I remember there was some type of mouth wash commercial that used the song also. If someone can figure the song out from my crappy description, I will be very impressed.

Be prepared to be blown away.

Well, I think what you're talking about is that song which was lifted from Moby's Play album... the one which made a cameo in car commercials, and that Leonardo DiCaprio movie... something Paradise.

in my dreams I'm dying all the time...

Is that the song?

It's called "Porcelain." And I guess it counts inasmuch as Play was released in 1999, but Moby so does not count as a one-hit wonder, sorry. :sexywink:

That video DOES freak me out, though.

No, I wasnt talking about Moby.

I'm talking about a song from the early '90's or late '80's.

CampbellMSU said:
"please don't go" was sampled by haddaway. it was his other hit, therefore knocking him out of this post. oh well, i saw a two-hit wonder show on vh1 once. somebody, start the post!

Haddaway count as 2 hit wonders definately with "what is love" being his other. The song I was thinking of was KWS "Please Don't Go" I dont think they had another song in the 90's though. I'm trying to forget this hideous tune by a hideous group lol.

Also Rozalla "Everybody's free to feel to feel good"

:scream:

It's not Deep Forest. It's a really stupid-sounding Tarzan song. Deep Forest is actually good. :)

HeartlandGirl said:
It's not Deep Forest. It's a really stupid-sounding Tarzan song. Deep Forest is actually good. :)

The only thing I can remember lyrically other than the Tarzan yells, was a part in the song where they say "Tonight, Tonight" a few times.

I hope someone can come up with what the heck this song is.

The Tarzan song you're thinking of is called "Tarzan Boy". It was recorded by a guy called Baltimora in 1986. Interesting sidenote---> He died of AIDS in 1995 (age 37). The song went to #13 on the charts and was released on Manhattan records.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom