Catch Up With Your Favorite 1990s One-Hit Wonders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Angela Harlem said:
Green Jelly - 3 little pigs

Hahahaha.

awesome. When I was 7 years old, I phoned in to a local video show and requested it.

Little Pig, Little Pig, Let Me In.
Not By the Hair of My Chinny Chin Chin.

classic. :up:

classic crap that is.

How about the Presidents of The United States Of America... do you remember how much they sucked?

:sexywink:

u2popmofo said:
Verve Pipe - "The Freshmen"

I still like that song.

Actually, I still like the majority of the songs that have been mentioned here....

Me too. Then again, the two of us have questionable taste to begin with. :wink:

Here are a few others:
"Hobo Humpin' Slobo Babe" by Whale. Anyone remember it? What about "Stay" by Shakespeares Sister?
Gotta give props to Digable Planets with "The Rebirth of Slick (Cool Like Dat)". I actually have that album, and it's good.
"Cantaloop" by Us3 was cool.
"Lucas With the Lid Off" by uh, Lucas someone? ;)

HeartlandGirl said:

What about "Stay" by Shakespeares Sister?

I cant believe I didnt think of that!!!! That song rules :up:

I actually have it on my computer....

Spin Doctors- Two Princes.

et al.

Pocket Full Of Kryptonite :up:

I remember Hobo humpin slobo babe.

Who remembers the following:
I'm ugly and I don't know why.
Lucas With the lid off.

Or there were the 2 hit wonders from MC 900ft Jesus (who U2 sampled for DGPFYCC:
The City Sleeps
If I only had a brian

notiti said:
Or there were the 2 hit wonders from MC 900ft Jesus (who U2 sampled for DGPFYCC:
The City Sleeps
If I only had a brian

Those songs rule! I'm going to download them both now, it's been a while since I last heard them.

cujo said:

Hahahaha.

awesome. When I was 7 years old, I phoned in to a local video show and requested it.

Little Pig, Little Pig, Let Me In.
Not By the Hair of My Chinny Chin Chin.

classic. :up:

classic crap that is.

How about the Presidents of The United States Of America... do you remember how much they sucked?

Haha, a band destined to never go far, Green Jelly that is.

I have to confess, I bought the single of 'Lump'. It didn't take that long to end up despising it after it was played continuously on radio for about 3 months.
'Peaches' was more annoying without a doubt.

:up:

Actually who sang 'Dont Go'? To this day I cringe at the absolute total complete crappiness of that song. I despised it with a passion then, and still do. If anyone see's the guy who wrote it in the street, please run him over.

Thanks.

"Babe, I love you soooo
and I want you to know
please dont go.
dont goooo away
baby please dont go
dont goooo away
please dont go"

[repeat 97 times]

:banghead:

You know, I downloaded that Primitive Radio Gods song yesterday, and I suspect now that Moby has done little else with his last 2 albums besides rip off...yes, Primitive Radio Gods.

jann arden - insensitive
mister big - to be with you
bachelor girl - buses and trains - for australians anyway
alicia's attic - i kissed a girl
sonique- alive

theres a zillion others but i'll exhaust myself and get a lot of the artists wrong as well

Does anyone else remember "Camera One" by the Josh Joplin Group? That was a good little song.

HeartlandGirl said:
Does anyone else remember "Camera One" by the Josh Joplin Group? That was a good little song.

AAAAHHHHH The Josh Joplin Group is awesome. If you don't have that album, i would say it is a must! That song was only 2-3 years ago. No follow up album yet, so can't put him in the one-hit wonder category yet.

Angela Harlem said:
Actually who sang 'Dont Go'? To this day I cringe at the absolute total complete crappiness of that song. I despised it with a passion then, and still do. If anyone see's the guy who wrote it in the street, please run him over.

Thanks.

"Babe, I love you soooo
and I want you to know
please dont go.
dont goooo away
baby please dont go
dont goooo away
please dont go"

[repeat 97 times]

:banghead:

AC/DC or Van Morrison?

OMG I love STAY by Shakesperae's Sister!

Their album was pretty good actually - Hormonally Yours!!!

I loved the video for that song...it was number 1 fro 6 weeks or something wasn't it?

I also loved New Radicals and Merdith Brooks :) and you have to be joking with Radiohead

500 miles... The Proclaimers.

Haha, when you had just forgotten it. Eat that!

Aw, memory lane

Angela Harlem said:
Deee Lite - groove is in the heart
LaTour - People are still having sex
SOHO - hippy chick
Nikki French - total eclipse of the heart
Jesus Jones - right here, right now
Allanah Myles - Black Velvet
EMF - Unbelievable

I had/still have all of those :reject: :lol: I thought no one else knew who LaTour were heh heh. I also liked...
The Revolting Cocks (Do ya think I'm sexy remake)
Shakespeare Sister (Stay)
Camper Van Beethoven (Pictures of Matchstick Men)

Re: Aw, memory lane

Cleasai said:
The Revolting Cocks (Do ya think I'm sexy remake) )

RevCo is not a one hit wonder for the simple fact that that was not a hit. I don't think I have ver heard a RevCo song played on the radio (although, something tells me it would be damn funny to hear "Beers, Steers and Queers (Texas remix)" on the radio.

Texas Hoe-down
Texas Low-down
Your full of shit
destined to go down

I love Stay Cleasai! Its the song you sing along to when you are pretending you can sing :D

I have to go d/ling now....

I really love this thread. So many good happy tunes in here. The Proclaimers had another hit after 500 miles, not as popular and I cant recall the name of it something like "trailer for sale or rent, room to rent for 50 cents"....something something...King of the Road I think it may have been called.

The 90's was the best decade.

1) I believe the song "Please Don't Go" is the one you're refering to, and it was originally recorded by K.C. and the Sunshine Band in 1980. Perhaps you're recalling a song that sampled its chorus. If you can find who covered/sampled K.C's version, you'll find your answer.

2) My all-time favorite one-hit wonder of the 1990's is Tom Cochrane's "Life is a Highway". It's timeless due to its universal rock-pop beat with a bridge that knocks me to the ground.

Other favorites---->Ini Kamoze: "Here Comes the Hotstepper", Baz Luhrman (sp?): "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)", Take That: "Back For Good", Snow: "Informer", Eagle-Eye Cherry: "Save Tonight".

Dano, If you're not from the North,
you're definitely a closet Canadian.

A nicky boom boom yeah.

Last edited:
Danospano said:
2) My all-time favorite one-hit wonder of the 1990's is Tom Cochrane's "Life is a Highway". It's timeless due to its universal rock-pop beat with a bridge that knocks me to the ground.

Ooh, that's a good one.

How about Soul Asylum's "Runaway Train"? I really like that one (and I particularly like the video-it's very interesting. Deserves more recognition, I think).

Originally posted by Danospano
Ini Kamoze: "Here Comes the Hotstepper", Baz Luhrman (sp?): "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)", Take That: "Back For Good", Snow: "Informer", Eagle-Eye Cherry: "Save Tonight".

:yes:.

"Back For Good" is my favorite out of those...that's such a great song.

Angela

womanfish said:

AAAAHHHHH The Josh Joplin Group is awesome. If you don't have that album, i would say it is a must! That song was only 2-3 years ago. No follow up album yet, so can't put him in the one-hit wonder category yet.

They released a follow up album last year.

I also really like 'Camera One'. It's about the only song of theirs I've heard that I've liked though.

A few random thoughts:

The New Radicals broke up pretty much right as their single came out. To my knowledge, they no longer exist, which is why no one has heard anything new from them. ;)

:up: to Snow and Eagle Eye Cherry.

I'll have to check out some more stuff by the Josh Joplin Group. I only ever heard Camera One on the radio, but I'd be willing to give their other stuff a listen.

Here's one. Does anyone remember Shake It Like a White Girl by Jesse Jaymes? I used to have the single, but someone stole it. I bet he feels like a loser now!

What about Mr. Vain by Culture Beat? Love that song.

Bad Luck by Social Distortion is another good one, imho.

Back
Top Bottom