Cat questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to steal this with another question...I was hoping I could ask another question? I have to take my cat to the vet this Sat. She absolutely HATES going to the vet, always has. The problem is that she gets SO irritated and freaked out, the doctor cannot listen to her heart or lungs at all. I am worried that she might have a little kitty asthma because she sounds as if she is wheezing, but the doctor can't do the exam since she won't let him close to her. A friend told me that her vet gave her some kitty valium (diazepam) to relax kitty before the appointment. She gave me the prescription, but I wonder if this is safe, I am worried. Has anyone ever had this problem, and will it actually relax her so that the doctor can do the exam?

I'd be scared to give anything like that to my cats. Maybe you can call your vet and ask them what they think about that?

Or can you call a mobile vet? One that comes to the house? We had to do that years ago for our family cat because she was an absolute nightmare to try to take to the vet.

Thanks Sicy - Yes, i am really worried about the pills. I think I will give them a call.

Mobile vet, eh? That would be awesome, I have never heard of such a thing. My cat is sweet to us, but pretty much does not like to many people, even at our house, but maybe someone coming to her comfort area might help.
Thanks for the info, I am going to start researching now!

There are also natural products that you can buy that are supposed to calm your cat in stressful situations. One is Feliway, which you can get at any pet store (you're supposed to spray it in their cat carrier 15 minutes before you take them to the vet) and the other is Rescue Remedy (which you can put a few drops in their food or water, or actually rub them down lightly with it). I tried both with Saki when I took him to the vet but he was still freaked out. May work for different cats though. Good luck!

Still looking for Mobile Vets - not so easy in Arkansas :wink:
I'll try looking for the natural stuff - Hey, it's so worth it to get her calm enough for the exam, thanks again!

dipster said:
I know a lot of you own cats, so I thought I would ask my questions here. I don't have a cat, but I am watching one at my house, for some friends while they are away. She has been here before so she is familiar with the house. She is a really good cat, however the last two nights she has been up meowing very loud most of the night making it difficult for us to sleep.

It seems as though as soon as we go to bed, she starts crying like a baby, and it is extremely loud. She has the run of the house, so she will go from room to room, just meowing at the top of her lungs. A few times I shut my bedroom door to try and muffle her out, but she would end up scratching at the door.

This goes on for most of the night. She has food, water, kitty litter and cat toys. I am not sure if she's doing it because she is in a different place and misses her home or if somethings wrong with her.

We really enjoy having this cat over, my kids and I love her, but these last two nights have been hard. We all have to get up early to go to work/school.

heh...sounds like she's been hanging out with my cat Beckham. He howls nonstop, all day, all night. He howls for attention, food, anything. He howls to go out the bedroom door, then howls to get back in. I honestly cannot have him in my room at night anymore b/c he's so loud and vocal about everything. It's been this way since the week I adopted him. I lost so much sleep over his acting up I honestly had to take time off of work to recuperate. Posh will meow if she's very hungry or got locked somewhere for a long time by accident and wants out, but that's about it. Beckham just plain talks nonstop. I don't know what he wants most of the time. At first I felt guilty like I don't feed him enough or something, but he's plenty big. I'm thinking the problem got worse like this....... When I wake up, I usually first take my shower and then feed the cats. By that time, they're VERY hungry and howling loudly (Beckham is crying and howling nonstop, clawing at the bathroom door and scratching up the carpet). Then I go in my room and feed them. I think Beckham thinks that I'm feeding him because he's howling and showing me where the food goes, so now he thinks he can be fed whenever he does this act because he is in charge. Unfortunately, cats do not understand social hierarchy and cannot be trained who's boss like a dog can, so I'm really not sure if there's any solution (feeding him more is definitely NOT a solution).

ok, just as an example, right this very moment, Beckham is sitting on top of a cardboard box next to my bedroom wall. He's facing the wall looking at a Discotheque poster. He's meowing and howling at the poster and pawing at it. I really have no clue what he's up to sometimes......

too bad he doesn't react to catnip. my neighbor's yard has been taken over by catnip so I could theoretically drug Beckham into behaving.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Cat questions

ewen said:
I just want your cat.

I'm with you Ewen. That little kitty would fit purrfectly with my girls :D

Chloe sometimes goes around the house carrying a glitter ball in her mouth meowing looking for someone to play with too.

Yeah, I swear to God the my Discotheque poster is haunted! Posh goes NUTS whenever her eyes fix on it. She just stares and does this excited meow that's like "meeeeeOW meeeeOW meeeeOW" and her head moves b/c her eyes are following something. They're usually howling in Larry's direction.

I would love to have a kittycat. :( But with looking at moving sometime in the next year or so, I feel like it would be selfish to get a cat now. I'm thinking about doing some volunteering at the Humane Society so I can spend time with the cats there.

Or I could visit my mom's kitties. She has three, two longhaired boys and a shorthaired girl.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
Mia's been quiet all night, but mark my words, as soon as my head hits the pillow tonight.... "meeeeeroooooooooow, meeerrrrooooooooooow", like someone's hurting her. :crack:

She's a freak. :heart:

This is exactly what Katie has been doing. She did it again last night. We ended up putting her in the laundry room and shutting all the doors. I feel bad doing that, but it did allow us to get some sleep. I don't understand why she's been like this, we've watched her before and never had this problem. :sad:

:slant: Did you play with her n stuff before bed? Didnt work? I cant imagine she would howl alll night. Saki will usually do it for a little while then get tired of it and go lay down.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Yeah, I swear to God the my Discotheque poster is haunted! Posh goes NUTS whenever her eyes fix on it. She just stares and does this excited meow that's like "meeeeeOW meeeeOW meeeeOW" and her head moves b/c her eyes are following something. They're usually howling in Larry's direction.

:lmao:

:hmm: Maybe "meeeeeOW" is kitty for "BOOM CHA!" :lol:

Or Posh detects that Larry is not a "cat person." :shifty:

Catnip does nothing for Worf either. However, she gets stoned out of her gourd on Ben Gay :eyebrow: She does the "meow" to get into the bedroom, the 5 seconds later "meows" to get out again. I gave up and started leaving the door open a crack so she can push it open, but sometimes she gets lazy and stills meows even though she could push it open if she really wanted to. :banghead:

Sicy said:
:slant: Did you play with her n stuff before bed? Didnt work? I cant imagine she would howl alll night. Saki will usually do it for a little while then get tired of it and go lay down.

We tried to get her to play, but she was not interested, she was awake, just laying around. I'm starting to think she is depressed, homesick or maybe just not feeling well. She's never been like this before, hopefully it won't last long.

dipster said:

We tried to get her to play, but she was not interested, she was awake, just laying around. I'm starting to think she is depressed, homesick or maybe just not feeling well. She's never been like this before, hopefully it won't last long.

Poor kitty, she is probably wondering what happened to "her" people and her stuff. I hope, for her sake and your's, that she is able to relax and enjoy her surroundings while she is there.

You said 'she'...is this kitty spayed? I had a kitty years ago that would do that thinking she was going to annoy me into letting her out at night when she was in heat...about 3am. She would bawl at the door and it sounded soooo real..like she was yelling "ma I want ouuuuutttttt.."
All I did was walk into the room and tell her she was NOT going to get romped tonight under my bedroom window and to go to bed..NOW! She would flip her tail at me and march to her bed and sleep.

Try a little catnip or kitty grass...see if that helps her unwind.

Sicy said:
There are also natural products that you can buy that are supposed to calm your cat in stressful situations. One is Feliway, which you can get at any pet store (you're supposed to spray it in their cat carrier 15 minutes before you take them to the vet) and the other is Rescue Remedy (which you can put a few drops in their food or water, or actually rub them down lightly with it). I tried both with Saki when I took him to the vet but he was still freaked out. May work for different cats though. Good luck!

Just wanted to give you an update ;-) Brooks is fine, I called the vet and they said to go ahead and give her the 1/4 kitty valium before the appt. and she would be fine, they said it would take the edge off. HA! I don't think it even phased her at all. They ended up having to put a towel over her, and the vet assistant had to hold her down so she could get her shots :(
Brooks cried and hissed the entire time, so once again, no checkup for the heart or lungs. But the vet did say that her coat looked good and shiny and her eyes were clear.
Thanks again for all the info - was not ever able to find a mobile vet, seems like such a wonderful idea, we need them here!
Thanks~

Aww that's too bad you couldnt get the readings for Brooks. :slant:

Well, I also admin on a kitty forum if anyone has cat questions or just want to babble about your cat there are tons of cat nerds there.. and even 2 vet techs :)

http://p203.ezboard.com/bkittyhaven

egyptluvr said:

They ended up having to put a towel over her, and the vet assistant had to hold her down so she could get her shots :(

We had to put one of my cats in "the cat bag" :ohmy: at the vet once he was sooo very upset and fought so hard. And he still managed to get partway out of it. That was a fun vet visit. Strangely he's great at the vet now, but he can go off his little rocker when he's scared.

Sicy said:
Aww that's too bad you couldnt get the readings for Brooks. :slant:

Well, I also admin on a kitty forum if anyone has cat questions or just want to babble about your cat there are tons of cat nerds there.. and even 2 vet techs :)

http://p203.ezboard.com/bkittyhaven

Yeah, it stinks that she can't get the real check-up, but hey what can we do?!
Cool, I'll totally check it out!

indra said:

We had to put one of my cats in "the cat bag" :ohmy: at the vet once he was sooo very upset and fought so hard. And he still managed to get partway out of it. That was a fun vet visit. Strangely he's great at the vet now, but he can go off his little rocker when he's scared.

Cat bag, eh ;) Sounds scarier than the towel! It totally stresses me out to see them freak out like that! Strange that he is alright at the vet now?....I wish mine would grow out of it. Hopefully someday it will happen. We have been saying that maybe she will get better when she is older, but it has been 6 years already, and it is not getting any better :(

They make this thing called a 'kitty burrito' I think its kittyburrito.com but I cant imagine even trying to get one of my cats in it, let alone have them be calm once in it lol.

i do the burrito thing all the time with pippin when i trim her nails. otherwise i'd get bitchsmacked.

That has got to be the funniest thing I have ever seen!! They say one single person can get a cat in it, HA - they have never seen mine :)

Back
Top Bottom