Cat People I need your help....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtwohearts

New Yorker
Okay I have 5 cats and someone is peeing. I've now thrown out every bathroom rug I had and I just bought a pet stroller ( :reject: ) and someone peed in that too. I did find white fur in the pet stroller which would suggest it was my Bonzi but how do you stop them??? This isn't a brand new problem they peed on their mats that I've bought them in the past or beds or their scratching posts. I'm scared they are going to start on my carpets and my other rugs.

:crazy: my husband wants to kill them...

My cat just started doing that too! Just in one room and I have no idea why out of the blue she started doing that.

She's been to the vet and no bladder infection or anything.

I hope you find a solution!!! How do you get rid of the smell too? :sigh:

Would it be possible to keep Bonzi separated somewhere?

Back at my dad's, there was one time where we had 4 cats. We soon discovered that my darling Whiskers was having accidents. :( She was very old, so we thought her health might be failing. However, I saw her attempt to use the litterbox one day...only to have another cat come out from a hiding place and pounce on her. Terrified, Whiskers ran away...and peed on the rug. We realized that the other cats were too playful for her...and they were scaring her from using the litterbox.

Since Whiskers spent so much time in my bedroom anyway, we started keeping her in my room at all times (with the door shut, of course). After I moved out and couldn't take her with me ( :sad: ), we feared she would get too lonely in there...so Dad put up a screen door. :lol: :heart: Whiskers is able to sit at the screen and look out at everything. Dad also goes in and visits her. Sometimes, he's even able to leave the screen down, and the other two cats and the chocolate lab visit her...or she will even venture out.

Last edited:
Well I think it may be Bonzi but I'm not sure. I guess I will have to seperate each one until I discover who it is. See the thing is Bonzi is everyone's friend. He is the big mush. No one picks on him and he only picks on his brother (and even that is very rarely). He is only 7 and he is the biggest (fattest) cat in the house.

Well luckily I just keep throwing things out so there is no smell. I originally thought it was the baby but I may be wrong. Well I guess they are going to have to be seperated one by one :sad: .

Try using several litter pans. Some cats don't like to share litter pans so instead will go on the floor. Also make sure the litter pans are kept very clean. Not that you are not already doing this but just thought I would mention it just in case. :wink:

redkat said:
How do you get rid of the smell too? :sigh:

You need something with enzymes in it. There are a couple very good products.. Nature's Miracle and Zero Odor. I think they can be found online. Also there's a spray called OUT! that you can get at the pet store.

I knew right when I saw the title of this thread that I'd find Sicy in here.

inmyplace13 said:
I knew right when I saw the title of this thread that I'd find Sicy in here.

Actually I thought I'd find Khanada here for sure!

edit: U2Man, you're not allowed in this thread! :lmao:

All of the above advice is right on...another idea is to try this litter called Cat Attract. It's got some sort of herb in it that literally attracts them. Several people I know with multiple cat households for whom this is an issue off and on have used it with great success...

Here's the web address to the company that makes it...

www.preciouscat.com

How many litterboxes do you have? How often do you clean them? Are these big puddles of urine or small spots? Unfortunately the more cats you have, the greater the chances of having issues like this - goes up 10% with the addition of each cat.

Can you set up a video camera to try to catch them in the act?

Hey doc, I was hoping you'd stop by. We have 4 boxes. It has been this way for 4 years since the last one came in. It is cleaned two-three times a week (depending on if I forget). And it is big puddles. It isn't small amounts or drips. It seems like it is purposly done.

Should I seperate each cat? I was going to buy another litter pan. Usually it is done on the bathroom rugs. I did read on one of the sights Sicy said that once it is done you really can't fully get the smell out. The pet stroller ( :reject: ) was the first time I've seen on anything other then a plush rug. Except once they did do it on my daughters smushy pillow (those neck rolls things which smell funny as it is)

Ok, definitely could be a litterbox connection that one of the cats is fed up with - but ideally if you find the culprit you should have a urine sample checked for an infection or crystals.

But - it won't hurt to try to make things as appealing as possible at home. Even though you haven't had any problems with the setup until recently, some dynamic has probably changed between the cats -or- they have lost their patience with the litterbox not being clean enough. Many cats will tolerate dirty boxes for a long time, but tend to get fussy as they get older. They have done many studies to see what most cats prefer in regards to the litterboxes, this is what we recommend:

1. #1 most important issue to eliminate is box cleanliness. Absolute minimum to try to prevent (or address) problems is cleaning AT LEAST ONCE DAILY. Sounds like a lot, but with 5 cats I bet those boxes are pretty full on the days that you get around to cleaning them. If you can smell any bad odor when you go up to them, it is at least 10 times stronger to their little noses. They dislike it enough when they have to smell their own 'stuff', but it can really annoy them if they have to go where it smells like another cat. Doing this, far and away, usually makes the biggest difference on getting cats back on track.

2. The ideal litterbox 'math' is one box per cat, plus one extra. In a five cat household, that means finding space for 6 boxes.

3. Do the boxes have hoods? If they do, try removing them. Hoods can lead to an outhouse effect for the cat, concentrating odors. Also can make them nervous because there is only one way out.

4. Do you use box liners? If so, try stopping as these often absorb and hold odors in the box.

5. Have you changed litter brands recently? Normally we recommend to stick with what they've been accustomed to, as changing brands can upset them if they don't like the new texture or scent. Most cats, given a choice, usually prefer clumping/scoopable litter as it has a finer texture than regular clay. We also recommend using a fragrance free/unscented version, as some cats can be turned off by the scents of deodorizers. Remember the principle again that if you can smell it, it is 10 times stronger to your cat and can be overpowering.

6. Like Sicy said, you do need to carfeully clean spots where you know they have gone, with a carpet cleaner that has enzymes to break down those little particles that cats can smell when we can't. If you can stand it, while you are making the other changes with the litterboxes, try to keep the area rugs up since they are attracted to them at the moment.

Still is ideal to rule out something medical that is making them uncomfortable, but it is hard in a multi-cat household to know who is doing it unless you catch them in the act. Defintiely if you ctach the culprit, have a urine sample checked just in case. But it sounds like the box issues could be a big part of it. I don't want you to feel bad, most people don't know this stuff. And it is hard to know why they can go so long with no complaints, but often they will hit that breaking point and say, "I don't want to go in that stinky bathroom." That is my hunch anyway - worth trying to eliminate these factors...

:)

Unfortunately this is a very common problem - but there are many, many things that can trigger it. This is one area especially that would be soooooooo helpful if the cats could tell us why they are doing it :banghead:

youtwohearts said:
Okay I have 5 cats and someone is peeing. I've now thrown out every bathroom rug I had and I just bought a pet stroller ( :reject: ) and someone peed in that too. I did find white fur in the pet stroller which would suggest it was my Bonzi but how do you stop them??? This isn't a brand new problem they peed on their mats that I've bought them in the past or beds or their scratching posts. I'm scared they are going to start on my carpets and my other rugs.

:crazy: my husband wants to kill them...

Is there a chance that your husband is doing the peeing and blaming the cats?:wink:

Cats are habitual creatures and easily offended if those life-long habits are interrupted. (I know this because I am really a cat.):wink: I would say the other pieces of advice are great...make sure the litter is cleaned regularly, and kept in the same spot. The vet is always a good idea, too...just to be on the safe side. I would also keep an eye on the cats to see if they are fighting amongst themselves, where one cat could be isolating another from venturing onto their territory.

Good luck with it:)

Cat People (putting out fire with gasoline)

I still remember that Bowie song.

Ah, now I gotta here "Let's Dance"

and if you say run;..
I'll run with you............
And if you say hide...
we'll hide.............

Because my love for you
Would break my heart in two
If you should fall...
Into my arms...
and tremble like a
flower....................................

:rockon:

under the moonlight
this serious moonlight...............

:dance: :dance:

Okay going to purchase another two boxes. I separated the boxes. I did change litter about 6 months ago but it is the scoopable stuff and they culprit has been peeing on carpets way before this ever happened.

Well try this all and let you know.

Back
Top Bottom