Cat people: have you ever seen this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hehe, I love the yogurt pic! My cat wanted to say hi to all of you. I don't think she's ever had her picture posted here at interference.

This is Juno:

pookie1.jpg

Juno and I hope Cricket is back to normal soon!

Oh dear! I just phoned her usual vet in Toronto, and the assistant said that this pupil problem could either be a neurological disorder or the beginning of a stroke!! She said the cat had better be taken in just to make sure... :uhoh:

Hey guys, don't panic - the most likely cause is uveitis (inflammation inside the eye), corneal ulcer is less likely based on her symptoms but still very common. It can be something serious - that letter that Lies posted covered pretty much all the possibilities - but the odds are that it's not. She just needs a good close-up eye exam :) Keep me posted on what's going on...

Angie - cats have 3 eyelids, not 7 silly ;) They have the usual top and bottom like we have, and the third one usually is not visible, at the corner of the eyes nearest the nose. If you see it pop up, the eye is usually irritated.

BTW - I am one of those crazy vets that has office hours on Sunday - and guess who always gets to work it, 9-4 :rant: My new 2nd raise makes it a little less painful though :shifty:

bonosloveslave said:

BTW - I am one of those crazy vets that has office hours on Sunday - and guess who always gets to work it, 9-4 :rant: My new 2nd raise makes it a little less painful though :shifty:

That sucks for you, but it would be great for me...my animals invariably get sick on weekends (and evenings and holidays). Are you at an emergency vet clinic or is it a more regular vet with extended hours?

Ok, got the cat to the vet's. They gave her a check-up. Looked at her eyes. Apparently the eye in question is her left one (the right one in the pic with the open pupil). It seems it's not reacting to light. My first thought is that she might be blind in that eye, so I asked if the eyes were "connected", thinking that if they shone light into one eye, would they both react to the light, or just the one.

The vet was on the same page, and as I was asking that, he was testing it. Shining light into the "unreacting" eye did in fact make the "good" eye respond, so she can still see out of it. He then looked into both eyes with one of those scopes. The optic nerves and blood vessels all look normal.

The pressure in the questionable eye was a little higher than the other eye, so that's a question. He took blood from her, and she was VERY good and didn't fuss about that at all.

Before I left, he gave her some medicine what was supposed to "relax" her eye and make it more responsive, or something. This is where the one problem occured.

On the way home, I noticed her spitting up foamy saliva. There was a LOT of it. When I got her home, she kept spitting it up, so I called the vet. They asked if she got car sick, but since she had made a 10-hr trip in a car, I said no. So she asked the vet. The vet got on the phone and was very apologetic - because he had given her the wrong medecine. :mad:

It wasn't a huge mistake, because it was still eye medecine, and it would still give us an answer with the eye, but it takes 24 hrs to work and not 2, and it makes her spit up saliva. :angry:

Right now she's fine. Not really spitting up any more. The vet called and said her blood tests all look normal so far, but the red & white counts will not come back until tomorrow, so we'll see.

Doing the lbs - kg conversion from her last weigh-in, she's gained around 1/2 lb, so I'm going to ask for the Rx cat food for her. She has a heart murmer, and I don't think the extra weight is doing her much good at all.

Last edited:
cydewaze said:

On the way home, I noticed her spitting up foamy saliva. There was a LOT of it. When I got her home, she kept spitting it up, so I called the vet. They asked if she got car sick, but since she had made a 10-hr trip in a car, I said no. So she asked the vet. The vet got on the phone and was very apologetic - because he had given her the wrong medecine. :mad:

omg.

im glad it wasnt worse. i hope cricket's eye gets better soon.

indra said:

That sucks for you, but it would be great for me...my animals invariably get sick on weekends (and evenings and holidays). Are you at an emergency vet clinic or is it a more regular vet with extended hours?

No, I work at a cats-only practice with hours of M-Th 8-9, F 8-8, S&S 9-6. There is not a doctor here every hour of the day, but a good majority.

I forgot to mention that last night about knowing even which eye is the problem - many times there a difference in pupil size but both could be ok for the ambient light - it makes it trickier unless the reflexes are not working like they should. Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of it soon! One thing I would ask about is if they have checked her blood pressure - if not see if they are able to do it at her next checkup just in case. High blood pressure can cause eye problems, though it is more common to have it in both eyes than just 1 - won't hurt to check.

omg I cant believe they gave her the wrong meds!! :mad: Do you have to go back and get the right meds now?
Poor thing :( I hope she is feeling better and not spitting up anymore .. give her some treats or something :hug:

Apparently the "wrong meds" will still do what was intended by the right ones. The difference is that they take longer to do it, so I have to check her tonight and see if there are any changes to her eyes.

The spitting up has stopped. She was being VERY affectionate last night, and she watched TV with me and slept in bed with me. I think the vet visit stressed her out.

I love my new kitty. :love: :heart:

Yesterday I was out with my mom (she was picking out a new sink and faucet that I'm installing for her) and the whole time I kept bitching about how I had to get home to feed the kitty, because her feeding time is 6pm and it looked like I'd be almost an hour late. :lol:

I feel in debt to the kitty for keeping me company while Jess is away. :yes:

cydewaze said:

The spitting up has stopped. She was being VERY affectionate last night, and she watched TV with me and slept in bed with me. I think the vet visit stressed her out.

I had a cat that never cared for me much...until I took him to the vet (and more importantly, brought him back home). After that first vet visit that cat thought I was the best thing since catnip! :wink:

indra said:

I had a cat that never cared for me much...until I took him to the vet (and more importantly, brought him back home). After that first vet visit that cat thought I was the best thing since catnip! :wink:
Hehehe! It was a bit of a pain getting Cricket into her carry case, but once the vet opened the door (after the exam was over) she couldn't jump in that case fast enough. :laugh:

cydewaze said:

Hehehe! It was a bit of a pain getting Cricket into her carry case, but once the vet opened the door (after the exam was over) she couldn't jump in that case fast enough. :laugh:

It's amazing how that works, isn't it? :D

I've learned with some of my more resistant cats that I try to put them into the crate face forward and when the lean backwards really hard I quickly turn them around and put them in backwards. :) So far it's working.

I lowered her feet first with the crate facing up. Seemed to work, because she was NOT going to go in face first while she was still concious. :p

Back
Top Bottom