Carlos Beltran signs with the New York Mets. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 02:09 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 05:39 PM
and by the way, assume the mets do sign delgado for a bit here...

they will then have piazza, delgado, reyes (assuming health), matsui, wright, floyd, beltran and cameron? correct me if i'm wrong with cameron. that is going to be one pretty good lineup...one of the best in the league up there with st louis, boston and texas...

Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
the sox dont need him any more?

schilling will be hurtin all throughout the year, curious the team doctor was fired no?

wells is not going to hold up the whole year

clements era will spike a bit going to the al

who knows how well miller will do

arroyo and wakefield are also unknowns

granted, if everything goes right, the staff will be good. but to say that they wont miss/need pedro is a bit assinine...maybe 3 years from now, they wont miss him, but i personally think dealing up with 1 or 2 shit years of pedro is worth having 2 good/solid years of pedro. but thats just me.
Pedro is not the same anymore. If he was in Boston again this year, I bet his ERA would go over 4.00, as it has been going up each year the last three years. I don't think that is too far-fetched.

I think it's a good bet Clement could match that.

I believe Schilling will be OK, although I agree, why fire the doctor who essentially saved us in the postseason?

We agree on Wells, but come on, he can't be worse than Lowe was.

As far as Miller, who knows, but if he is fully recovered, he will be the steal of the year.

I'm quite optimistic...

Old 01-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

and what some of you who are bitching about how they overpaid to get him... you fail to realize that the mets HAVE to overpay to get him. they've had so many bad PR moments involving high profile free agents in the past 5 years... a-rod, vlad... that they're baisicly paying for past mistakes. it would have been a disaster if beltran wouldn't have gone to the mets after the astros were no longer an option. if it's you making the decision, and you have two options in town, one is steak, one is mcdonalds... you're goin' with the steak. if the mets had tried to underbid after the astros had dropped out, the yanks would've swept right in and taken him. they had to push the bid out to assure that they got him.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

why would the mets want sosa over floyd?

i wouldnt take sosa for free these days

its extremely risky to put so much money and 4 years into a pitcher who's shoulder is so banged up he'll refuse to take an MRI, they'll be lucky to get 2 good years out of him, then theyll be screwed the next 2 years

but i guess when you are a team in new york you can afford 15 million in dead money, while it would cripple other teams

i just know at times like this im glad walt jocketty is in charge of the cardinals. he saw the market was going absurd, and still was able to get mulder, the starting pitcher for the al in last years all star game and the most dominant lefty over the past few years, for less than half the price of pedro, and for even less than kris benson!

he was able to get an ace, and adequate substitutes for ss and 2b for less than the price boston paid for renteria.

every member of the cards 2005 rotation won at least 15 games last year, and the whole rotation costs just 2 million more than sosa.

in walt i trust.
Old 01-10-2005, 02:45 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

great... you're the friggin cardinals. you can under pay for people, you're only direct regional competition is kansas city... woo hoo.

the mets have to compete with the yankees. in order to compete with them, they HAVE to over-pay. there's no ifs ands or buts about it.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:36 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

but you werent even competing with the yanks for beltran
Old 01-11-2005, 05:03 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Actually they were...in classic Boras fashion, after the Mets came in with their last offer, Boras contacted the Yanks Saturday night, and asked if they'd be willing to give Beltran $100mil over 6yrs. The Yanks said no, not wanting to tie up $140 mil($100 mil in salary plus $40 mil in luxury tax) in Beltran, though they liked him.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:43 AM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

The Mets "should" have a fantastic lineup if everything falls in place. But remember, this is the Mets we are talking about here.

Remember, wayyyy back when, our line up consisted of Roberto Alomar, Mo Vaughn, and Jeromy Burnitz? That was supposed to be an awesome lineup w/ each putting up amazing #s in previous years - but we all know how that turned out. I'm just the pesimistic Mets fan talking here.

Headache - give me a reason to believe !!
Old 01-11-2005, 06:49 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

What about Mo's big comeback?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:31 AM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Hewson
What about Mo's big comeback?
watch your tounge
Old 01-11-2005, 07:37 AM   #26
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Numb1075
Headache - give me a reason to believe !!
a reason to believe? ok...

carlos beltran is 27 years old
david wright is 21 years old
jose reyes is 21 years old (although i'm still nervous about him and his leg issues)

there's reasons to believe... they went out and got a young star who's still on the way up, not a 34 year old guy who's obviously on the way down.

they finally went out and spent the money... all be it overspending a bit... to get the #1 free agent available, when in past years they'd tease ya' and then leave ya at the alter with your pants around your ankles.

and they might not be done...

the best off-season move the mets made this year wasn't signing beltran or signing pedro... it was signing omar, a man who's done the impossiable... reminded fred wilpon that his team plays in the biggest market in america, not milwaukee.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:41 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Ok, thanks. Jose Reyes scares me in that he can only play half a season because he is so fragile.....

Wright will be the cornerstone of this team in a few years - Beltran and Wright give me hope.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 AM   #28
Blue Crack Distributor

Old 01-11-2005, 09:45 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Chizip
but you werent even competing with the yanks for beltran
maybe not, but if the mets didnt overpay and bite the bullet and held out a few more days, no telling if steinbrenner woulda made a few phone calls...

and yes im glad we have walt too. no doubt in my mind that he's the best gm in the game. does a lot with not too much...and is a brilliant trader.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:47 AM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

the mets are ALWAYS competing with the yankees... for everyone and everything. it's the nature of the beast when you're in a city with the winningest, most famous, most popular (and most hated) franchise in all of sport.