Career Advice Pls! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2005, 01:41 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Career Advice Pls!

Hello All,

I'm going through some heavy changes in my life right now, mainly, a career change.

I've been stuck in a job for the past two years that I have greatly disliked; I was an Account Executive for a Office Equipment company. In a nutshell, I sold copiers and software solutions to business'. My position was recently down-sized but when it happened, I actually was happy about it because I knew it would force me to change into a rewarding career. Financially, it was a great job for a 25 yr old. I was making over 50k/yr. I got the job directly out of University where I acheived a business degree with a finance major.

Anyway, I feel like I've "pigeon holed" myself career wise. My experience is in Sales but my education is in Finance/marketing. I paid $40k for my education and I want to make sure that I'm using it. But it seems that recruiters want hire me based on my sales experience only. And if I did want to get into something that wasn't sales-based, I'd probably have to earn only $30-$40k/yr for the first few years. My lifestyle/bills are used to a $50k /yr income.

Companies that seem really "hot" to hire me want me for Financial Adviser postions (again, sales based). This career has piqued my interest because it would successfully marry my sales experience and financial education. The risk factor here is that Financial Advisers are paid 100% commission. On the plus side, I could end up making over $250k/yr if was good at it though.

I know there is probably someone in here who has been down a similar road in life. I would greatly appreciate your input.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:51 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 PM
If you need to take a pay cut to change tacts, I reckon you should.

I have a business degree, major in accounting. I used to prepare tax returns for a living. I took a pay cut to work, initally, as the Donor Records Officer, ie record and bank the donations. Then I switched to admin in Oxfam. Then I moved over to another company working in Risk Management. Ive done a few different things here and Im starting to get bored again so who knows where Ill end up next.

If you want to move, you just might have to take a pay cut.

This isnt very helpful but Im sure you can get a job somewhere else. Keep trying.

Old 09-26-2005, 01:54 AM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:19 AM
here's a couple places you can start:
use whole words - what the hell does "pls" mean?
using quotes around "words" is as bad as using "air-quotations" while "talking."

seriously (because the above was supposed to be a joke), i've got nothing. just say fuck it all, and go find something you like. if the financial advisor thing sounds interesting, then go for it. so you may struggle financially. you save up from when you were making 50,000 a year? no need to ask the opinion of a bunch of random strangers on the internet what you should do.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:00 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
here's a couple places you can start:
use whole words - what the hell does "pls" mean?
using quotes around "words" is as bad as using "air-quotations" while "talking."

seriously (because the above was supposed to be a joke), i've got nothing. just say fuck it all, and go find something you like. if the financial advisor thing sounds interesting, then go for it. no need to ask the opinion of a bunch of random strangers on the internet what you should do.
IWB

Seriously, asking a bunch of random strangers causes a person to analysis their reaction to the responses. Well, at least it should. Its a bit like explaining something to someone else. The explaining process crystalises the concept in the mind of the person doing the explaining.

Or sumfin.

Dont ask me about psychology, I'm an accountant.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:01 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

IWB

Seriously, asking a bunch of random strangers causes a person to analysis their reaction to the responses. Well, at least it should. Its a bit like explaining something to someone else. The explaining process crystalises the concept in the mind of the person doing the explaining.

Or sumfin.

Dont ask me about psychology, I'm an accountant.

i know. if people didn't question themselves and so actively seek the opinions of complete strangers, we wouldn't have message boards. and my life would suck a bit more (seriously, look how much time i spend on line). i'm just being a jerk.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:04 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Group hug everyone
Old 09-26-2005, 02:05 AM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

i hate hugs.

we're slowly de-railing this thread. maybe the mods ought to move it to the zoo confessionals before any more damage is done.
Old 09-26-2005, 02:18 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:19 AM
First, be thankful you're good at sales. That is, unfortunately, what the economy is turning into. Companies like hiring people on commission for obvious reasons.

Have you considered searching for a financial position that would be part salary/part commission? I know that not everyone in finance works only on commission.

Melon
Old 09-26-2005, 12:04 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:19 AM
Make sure you have money in the bank, trim back on your spending, and take the plunge.

Also, look around for a few other opportunities instead of jumping for the one that is currently available. You are in the best position possible, looking for a job while holding a job.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:54 PM   #10
Refugee

Thanks All for the advice!

nbcrusader, I think you're right. I should keep my options open for the next few weeks and continue searching while holding on and possibly stalling my financial adviser job offer.
Old 09-26-2005, 12:56 PM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by beli
Then I moved over to another company working in Risk Management. Ive done a few different things here and Im starting to get bored again so who knows where Ill end up next.
How do you like Risk Management work?