Canucks?!?! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2004, 03:00 AM   #76
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 PM
As shameful as it may be, the refs may have overlooked the situation... seeing as Nieuwendyk has less of a history with suspendable acts (not an excuse, but plausible nonetheless). The disparity on and off the ice is a well-founded comment foxfire.

Old 03-17-2004, 05:48 PM   #77
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:22 PM
I think that's the right word for it--shameful.

With the Bertuzzi mess, the NHL has a chance to step up and clean house. The refs are just a joke. Like I said, I like rough hockey as much as anyone, but this is just embarressing.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:36 PM   #78
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 07:22 PM
The thing is, the only real suspension of any consequence Bertuzzi received was a 10 game one for leaving the bench to join a fight... So I dont even know if they have solid grounds based on history alone

It is embarassing though; the NHL's consistency is terrible, and while the players should clean up their act a little, its ultimately the NHL who permits them to do what they do - and yes, its the NHL who has to make the new standard. Head injuries are head injuries, and if they don't take them seriously, they ought to talk to someone like Brett Lindros whose career ended due to post-concussion syndrome. Albeit, he was hit cleanly by the powerhouse which is Scott Stevens; but that falls within the rules, and most of the cases where someone is injured do not.

Its not so much the players that ultimately disgust me, so much as the administration. I'll defend the players, as I always do, because theyre doing their job within the constructs and limits that exist, and theyre the ones with the burden of risk; the NHL officials, on the other hand... hmph.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:05 AM   #79
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:22 PM
Todd Bertuzzi was charged with assault causing bodily harm.

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=5508447

There have been a tremendous amount of news coverage regarding this story here. The one thing that surprised me was how many other incidents there were of NHL players being charged criminally for incidents that occurred during hockey games. I had no idea that there had been that many.
Old 06-26-2004, 04:11 PM   #80
New Yorker

You beat me too it, fah! (Actually, I thought we both would have been beaten to posting it...quiet times indeed here!)

It went over pretty quietly here in Denver, or at least I think so. Maybe it was accepted as a given...
Old 06-27-2004, 04:21 AM   #81
fah
Blue Crack Addict

AvsGirl has there been any mention of Moore and how he is recovering in your local press? Specifically, will he be able to play hockey again?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:43 PM   #82
New Yorker

It's been kept pretty quiet. This was the last thing reported in the Denver Post, with the Bertuzzi charge:

"Although Moore, 25, no longer wears a cervical collar for the three cracked vertebrae he suffered in the attack, he has not fully recovered from his other injuries. His agent, Larry Kelly, said Moore still has significant post-concussion symptoms and returning to his hockey career remains in question."

The general, unofficial consensus is that he will never play again, but no reason has been given why.
Old 06-27-2004, 08:56 PM   #83
fah
Blue Crack Addict

Thanks for the update.