Canadian love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zoorock Girl! said:
Rush is the single worst band in the history of music. Noone from any corner of the globe, has a more awful voice than Geddy Lee.

Did you forget about....(see below)

Cujo Wizard said:
I would agree with the Rush comment... for the first 20 years of my life I detested them.....

And along came Nickleback!?

Dorian Gray said:
I don't think Sam Roberts has been mentioned yet...

I was trying to think of his name. Good call.

Last edited:
Heh, my dad was playing some music on our computer earlier and he played a Tragically Hip song-"New Orleans Is Sinking". It wasn't bad.

wolfeden said:
Crash Test Dummies

Heh, they're an odd group. But I like the couple of songs I've heard by them.

Rush...they're okay. The lead singer does have a really different voice.

Neil Young rocks, and the Barenaked Ladies are pretty cool (is it just me, or do they remind anyone else of XTC in a way?).

Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Cowboy Junkies
Daniel Lanois
Joni Mitchell

Didn't know these artists were from Canada.

Some of these other artists listed are ones I've never heard of before.

Another band I thought of that's from Canada: Glass Tiger.

Originally posted by wolfeden
However we get to blame Canada for Alanis, Celine, and Loverboy.

Not a big Celine Dion fan, and Loverboy's okay, but...I personally like Alanis. :shrug:.

Angela

Per capita, Canada has produced the worst mainstream music acts compared to any other country in the world.

Let's take a look at what Canada has submitted, shall we? Nickelback, Default, Rush, Danko Jones, Three Days Grace, Theory of a Deadman, Alanis, Celine Dion, Avril Lavigne, Snow, Swollen Members, etc. etc. the list just goes on and on! What has the rest of the world done to deserve this?!

Now let's take a look at some of the better music Canada can call it's own: Broken Social Scene (one of the best band's in the world), Kid Koala, The Weakerthans, Stars, Boards of Canada (aren't they from the UK though? I've heard both).

Then there's the more maintstream and quite tolerable acts of Pilate, The Tea Party, and a few others.

I'm far too opinionated, aren't I? :wink:

Sarah Harmer and Sarah Slean are two of my favorites. Sarah Harmer was just here at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. I met Sarah Slean a few years back and she was really cool. I hung out backstage at a Hawksley Workman concert last year too. </bragging>

Sam Roberts' cd is really good; he did a concert here last month, but I missed it.

I used to be obsessed with Alanis Morrissette when I was in 6th grade. She's still kinda cool in my opinion. :up:

A final salvo in defense of The Tea Party

somehow, a "fratboy" with a 1.5 GPA majoring in Labatts Blue with a minor in hockey, I don't see him getting down to "Alarum" as "easy to like rock"...

perhaps the Tea are a little too intellectual for some folk, who miss all the literary references and dismiss the music because they don't understand it...

after all, how many "frat boys" or anyone else not very world-experienced are going to catch references to Tom Cowan, Piranesi, Bulgakov, Burroughs, Thelemic religion, Roy "The Badger" Harper, Pentangle, or recognize a sitar beyond "uuuuuh hey, that's the thing Metallica used on 'wherever i may roam'..."

</snark>

and hey, maybe if enough beer drinking fratboy types DID listen to the Tea, there wouldn't be a need for the White Ribbon Campaign, which the Tea have heavily supported over the years..... yeah, the frat boys all clink their Molson Ices and sing along to 'Release', right? :|

ps - not an attack on you Bassy (or DaveC or anyone else here), the snark is aimed at the fratboys more than anything else... :sigh:

Last edited:
Oh, and yes, this IS Canadian Love.

Please start a new thread to discuss how putrid you believe Canadian music to be.

Thank you.

my US$0.02 -- frankly if anywhere is responsible for the most awful music "per capita" it's either America or Germany... now back to the Canuck love-in...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Holly McNarland? sorry, I only know her via the Tea...

Metal -- Annihilator and Voi Vod- heh, I listened to them in high school

Classics -- BTO and Steppenwolf

I believe the solo and combined careers of Mssrs. Fulber and Leeb have been mentioned in their various guises yes?
(so so so addicted to Conjure One right now)

Does anyone remember Bif Naked?

Generational divides: Were you introduced to Buffy Sainte-Marie via Sesame Street, or by her song 'Codeine'? ...or do you have no idea who she is?

Without Nivek Ogre and SKINNY PUPPY!!!!!! there would be no NIN, no Ministry, no Marilyn Mans... um, maybe that'd have been a good thing, nevermind... ^_^

Everyone knows Buffy St Marie now thanks to Moulin Rouge. Or they know her without knowing her.. ("Love lift us up where we belong..Where the eagels cry on a mountain high").

Nice to see the Weakerthans and Delerium bet a mention, too. I approve.

What about Manitoba and the Junior Boys?

and you'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best, but it looks like y'all forgot spirit of the west! :p

Last edited:
you'll have to excuse me, I'm not at my best
I've been gone for a week, I've been drunk since i left
and these so called vacations will soon be my death
I'm so sick of the drink
I need home for a rest
TAKE ME HOME

hahaha...great drinking song

Wow, Canada's produced alot more talent than I give them credit for :reject: Anyway, to add to the list of bands who have not yet been mentioned...

MATTHEW GOOD (BAND)
THE DEARS

...and that's all I can think of for now. Most have already been mentioned :scratch:

Catman said:
Wow, Canada's produced alot more talent than I give them credit for :reject: Anyway, to add to the list of bands who have not yet been mentioned...

MATTHEW GOOD (BAND)
THE DEARS

...and that's all I can think of for now. Most have already been mentioned :scratch:

We have a good music scene

Wow, thankfully Matt Good was added to the list in the last few posts - I can't believe he wasn't mentionned in the beginning...He's by far my fave Canadian artist...

Interesting U2 fans are bashing Canadian music...there's a whole blurb on the great writers we've produced in Bill Flanagan's "Until the End of the World" (mentionning Leonard Cohen, Joni Mithchell, Bruce Colburn, Neil Young)

Zoorock Girl mentionned Default as being Canadian...actually it seems to me they're from Florida (they're def. American though, not Canadian)

ladywithspinninghead said:
Wow, thankfully Matt Good was added to the list in the last few posts - I can't believe he wasn't mentionned in the beginning...He's by far my fave Canadian artist...

Damn straight :cool: "Beautiful Midnight" and "Avalanche" are 2 of my favorite albums :up:

LEONARD COHEN!!!

Definitely my favourite Canadian artist of all time. Poet, philosopher, songwriter, novelist...the muse, the refuge, the darkness and the light of Canadianiana. None of these nouns actually fit. Greatness often can't be defined. (Bono selected him as one of the top three songwriters of all time.)

Other Canadian artists/bands I like, off the top of my head:

Sarah McLachlan
Sam Roberts
Daniel Lanois
Cowboy Junkies
Blue Rodeo
Gordon Lightfoot
Jane Siberry
Tara MacLean

Last edited:
man, isn't this like the first time you've posted in 2 years?:huh:

Back