Canadian Bands

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
there are many great canadian bands. Some of which have been around for a long time and are super-talented but are barely known outside Canada!!

What are you fav. canadian bands?

lets see...

-Neil Young is a given!!!

-The Rheostatics: kings of underground canadian rock. Very good music!!

-The Tea Party: Not everyones cup of tea, but if you like dark rock with lots of minor progressions and fantastic use of sitars and eastren intruments you'll love them!! Has a very dark and rich oriental flavor

-The Tragically Hip: Not a favorite of mine but they have been around forever and they do make a lot of great music.

-Godspeed you Black Emperor: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go listen to these guys. Its very experimental but extremely good!

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

When I saw the Rolling Stones on their No Security Tour, a band opened for them called Wide Mouth Mason. They kicked so much ass, but I have never heard of them since!

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

I really like Sloan. I have seen them live a couple of times and they have impressed me every time.
smile.gif

I am starting to like the Tea Party. I have also seen them live about a million times, and I always thought that they had good energy but I was never into their music. I heard a couple of songs of the newest album and I really liked them so I bought the album. It rocks
smile.gif

BNL.... I don't know why, I guess that it is mellowing with maturity but I am starting to really appreciate these guys, even though I used to think of them as just a bunch of goofs.

Tragically Hip.... I go through phases of loving, and hating this band, but no matter what, you gotta respect them....
smile.gif

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

The BEST BEST BEST Canadian rock band EVER is none other than RUSH!!!

While the others listed are great bands as well, they've a ways to go before they reach the longevity and status of Rush.

Gabriel

bonochick, wide mouth mason are from saskatoon, saskatchewan(where i went to high school!
smile.gif
). they are still around, can't remember titles or specifics but they did have an album out recently and yes they are quite good
biggrin.gif

absolute, hands down best canadian band is the tragically hip. great musicians, excellent lyricist and persona in gord downie, and a live show that is only bested by U2
smile.gif

I'm rather embarassed by fellow canucks Nickleback and Default (ugh) at the moment. And can't stand the overblown music of the Tea Party or Our Lady Peace.

But, have to say Hayden is one of our best, especially his latest album "Skyscraper National Park."

Must agree that Godspeed You Black Emperor (and their side projects) are truly unique.

Also, the Joel Plastik Emergency (ex Thrush Hermit lead singer's band, i think) is quite good.

Sloan is amazing, though their last album blew chunks.

What about B4-4? or Wave? come on!! They rawk!! lol Ok, I am kidding.

Favourite Canadian Bands.... Hmm...

I have always really like "I Mother Earth" back in the day when Edwin was lead singer. I too am growing fond of the "Bare Naked Ladies" and enjoy the "Matthew Good Band" (even though they broke up).

I like a lot of songs by Canadian artist, but don't own alot of full albums. I am not amongst the "Tragically Hip" fans at all and can't stand them actually.

One of the best artists to come out of Canada--> Joni Mitchell.

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
I really like Sloan. I have seen them live a couple of times and they have impressed me every time.
smile.gif

I really want to see them--I like what I've heard. Everyone who's seeing Pete Yorn on this tour with Sloan opening needs to report back.
smile.gif

Tragically Hip is one of the best band names.

I love Neil Young!!!!!

Originally posted by meegannie:
I really want to see them--I like what I've heard. Everyone who's seeing Pete Yorn on this tour with Sloan opening needs to report back.
smile.gif

Funny... In Canada Pete Yorn would open for Sloan.... In fact, I would love to see that
smile.gif

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

rush sucks so much horse shit, horses dont even need to sit to shit.

if i havent made myself clear, rush is ass. theyre horrible, almost as bad as celine dion. im ashamed to share the same international borders as they do.

noone noone NOONE has a worse voice than geddy lee. NOONE. he sounds like a rat thats been doused in oil, lit on fire, and is now being drowned (but hes still on fire).

i hate them more than anything else on this earth.

default are a 10 generation pearl jam wannabe band. atrociously terrible.

nickelback: most overated canadian band of all time.

the hip: i share most of your sentiments, i dont hate em, i dont love them, but theyre not too bad. plus they have the song "fireworks" which has to be one of the best "canadian" songs of all time.

b4-4 what a great boy band. same with wave, and dont forget about id and three deep! canada has lots of beautiful pop stars.

and now the time has come for the girl band that was made up on tv some time ago...i forget what theyre called though for some reason.

anyway, if corporate big wigs are gonna make a group, why wouldnt they at least put GOOD looking people in there?!

olp: i really dig their latest song "somewhere out there", very fake plastic trees-ish, though for that reason it makes me not like it, because they appear to want to be like radiohead.

sloan: id love to hang out with these guys, enough said.

mathew good band is a supreme ass. i have no use for him, but some of his old music is alright.

the tea party are good, and i think its possible to think of them as awesome. but for me personally, i just cant get that into them. really good group.

did i mention how much rush and geddy lee are the worst shitheads this country has ever produced?

and whats up with geddy?!?! seriously?!?!? why would you play bass that HIGH!?!!??! whats wrong with you??!?!? learn how to sing already.

man do they suck.

the bottom line: europe makes far greater music, north america sucks, though ofcourse there are definate exceptions.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

Originally posted by kobayashi:
bonochick, wide mouth mason are from saskatoon, saskatchewan(where i went to high school!
smile.gif
). they are still around, can't remember titles or specifics but they did have an album out recently and yes they are quite good
biggrin.gif

Hey, thank you for the info!

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

Tragically Hip
The Tea Party

Any idea of the name of the band that played the intro and commercial fillers to Kids In The Hall??

Originally posted by wannabe:
Any idea of the name of the band that played the intro and commercial fillers to Kids In The Hall??

shadowy men on a shadowy planet

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
BNL.... I don't know why, I guess that it is mellowing with maturity but I am starting to really appreciate these guys, even though I used to think of them as just a bunch of goofs.

Of course, they ARE a bunch of goofs...but they probably do that better than anyone. Unfortunately for them, they've written a fair amount of awfully serious stuff that gets completely passed over in favor of the "One Week" and "Pinch Me" types. "Call & Answer" and "What a Good Boy" are very good tunes, just to name two. And live they're a completely different kind of show from U2, but worth the price of admission.

My favorite Canadian band, however...and probably my second favorite band period right now...is Our Lady Peace.

I forgot all about Hayden!! He rules!!

Between Us To Hold is an especially song!

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:
rush sucks so much horse shit, horses dont even need to sit to shit.

if i havent made myself clear, rush is ass. theyre horrible, almost as bad as celine dion. im ashamed to share the same international borders as they do.

noone noone NOONE has a worse voice than geddy lee. NOONE. he sounds like a rat thats been doused in oil, lit on fire, and is now being drowned (but hes still on fire).

i hate them more than anything else on this earth.

default are a 10 generation pearl jam wannabe band. atrociously terrible.

nickelback: most overated canadian band of all time.

the hip: i share most of your sentiments, i dont hate em, i dont love them, but theyre not too bad. plus they have the song "fireworks" which has to be one of the best "canadian" songs of all time.

b4-4 what a great boy band. same with wave, and dont forget about id and three deep! canada has lots of beautiful pop stars.

and now the time has come for the girl band that was made up on tv some time ago...i forget what theyre called though for some reason.

anyway, if corporate big wigs are gonna make a group, why wouldnt they at least put GOOD looking people in there?!

olp: i really dig their latest song "somewhere out there", very fake plastic trees-ish, though for that reason it makes me not like it, because they appear to want to be like radiohead.

sloan: id love to hang out with these guys, enough said.

mathew good band is a supreme ass. i have no use for him, but some of his old music is alright.

the tea party are good, and i think its possible to think of them as awesome. but for me personally, i just cant get that into them. really good group.

did i mention how much rush and geddy lee are the worst shitheads this country has ever produced?

and whats up with geddy?!?! seriously?!?!? why would you play bass that HIGH!?!!??! whats wrong with you??!?!? learn how to sing already.

man do they suck.

the bottom line: europe makes far greater music, north america sucks, though ofcourse there are definate exceptions.

Hey Zoom, what do you think of that Canadian band, Rush?

Lol, they're not that bad. I sort of like them, actually, although I'm feeling somewhat uneasy about admitting it now...

My faves: Bryan Adams (He's Canadian, right?), N. Young, Zoom96's arch-nemesis band, and an act from the early 1990's called the Northern Pikes (are they still around?) Their song "She Ain't Pretty" rules!

Our Lady Peace
Great Big Sea (I like that Celtic flavor)
Chantal Kreviazuk
The Hip and BNL are OK

hmmm.. does anybody remember Blue Rodeo anymore? I thought they were pretty popular up there? I guess not.

I have one of their albums. Their songwriting is decent, but their vocal harmonies sometimes gets me all goosebumpy.

I've heard of them.

Originally posted by Bound:
hmmm.. does anybody remember Blue Rodeo anymore? I thought they were pretty popular up there? I guess not.

I have one of their albums. Their songwriting is decent, but their vocal harmonies sometimes gets me all goosebumpy.

Here's another great one: Leonard Cohen. Montreal native, graduated from the same college I went to, one of the best lyricist of our time, one of my favorite all-time singer-songwriter.

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

hm Canadian music- immediately I always think of Neil Young- and most importanltly his song Helpless the one that goes 'there is house in North Ontario' etc, etc- he is such a great artiste and I also love the Teas Party - they are very nice and that is about all I can think of
smile.gif

BNL definately! They met at a music camp I go to

------------------
T? m? ?seal.
T? m? ard.
T? m? tana?.
T? m? ramhar.
T? m? bean.

Originally posted by Zoomerang96:

Well, I almost agree with you about the voice, cept I hate Alanis's far more, but you should give Rush a LITTLE credit for being very fine musicians. I take it you don't like prog rock.

I used to love Bryan Adams and Gowan. I went to amazing concerts by both of them back when I was still a huge fan--and they really were amazing concerts. I'm a little sick of all the Adams dissing that goes on, maybe he's gone a little soft, but give him respect for albums like Cuts Like a Knife. When I saw him (1994, greatest hits tour) he played for THREE HOURS. Awesome. My first concert. I saw Gowan in a club and he rocked so hard. Really fun show. He is now a member of Styx. Talk about artistic suicide. I don't seem to listen to either of them much any more, though I still like them.

I also agree with deathbear about Europe being far superior to either Canada or the US. Hey, Australia and New Zealand aren't shabby either. Love Crowded House, and saw Midnight Oil last night--amazing!

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 05-12-2002).]

Originally posted by scatteroflight:

I used to love Bryan Adams and Gowan. I went to amazing concerts by both of them back when I was still a huge fan--and they really were amazing concerts. I'm a little sick of all the Adams dissing that goes on, maybe he's gone a little soft, but give him respect for albums like Cuts Like a Knife. When I saw him (1994, greatest hits tour) he played for THREE HOURS. Awesome. My first concert.

Confession time: My first concert was also Bryan Adams and it was a kicka** 3 hours show. Don't really listen to him anymore though, kinda lost me with the Barbra Steisand duet
eek.gif

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

Im surprised that noone has mentioned 54-40 or Bruce Cockburn...well Bruce isnt really a 'band', but he rocks just the same.

Zoomerang the only way you could be able to express yourself so explicitly about shit and ass is if you have been there yourself...so enjoy the taste...Rush doenst suck shit, you do.

Besides, you rated b4-4, indeep and wave?? What are you frickin insane?? Those 3 bands truly define sucking shit.

Gabriel

------------------
"...well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"
BTBS, Rattle and Hum

[This message has been edited by gabrielvox (edited 05-12-2002).]

Originally posted by gabrielvox:
Im surprised that noone has mentioned 54-40 or Bruce Cockburn...well Bruce isnt really a 'band', but he rocks just the same.

Zoomerang the only way you could be able to express yourself so explicitly about shit and ass is if you have been there yourself...so enjoy the taste...Rush doenst suck shit, you do.

Besides, you rated b4-4, indeep and wave?? What are you frickin insane?? Those 3 bands truly define sucking shit.

Gabriel

*puts gabrielvox to school

first off, it was a joke about b4-4 and 3 deep and wave. i was simply pointint out that canada has boy bands too.

by saying that i suck shit and rush doesnt, DOESNT make any sense either ya nut. if you want to put me down, at least make some sense while your at it.

FACT: geddy lee has the worst voice of all time.

notice how i said FACT not "personal opinion." that said, my opinions are worth more than yours and i will make sure you see it my way. i live down a one way street.

to the other person who said: "obviously you dont like prog-rock"

*cough

um OBVIOUSLY you dont know any good prog rock if it bit you in the ass, if you consider rush good prog rock. if you want good prog, which is about the only good thing out there other than some techno and electronica or ambient stuff, listen to pink floyd. listen to radiohead. even listen to tool. but most importantly discover some great underground prog thats not in the mainstream. thats the goldmine.

noone comes on to this board and tells me they think rush is good without being harassed.

*encourages all the bleeding hearts out there to take this post with a grain of green salt because im only half serious.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.

Rush sucks shit, and Geddy Lee *does* have the worst voice in rock and roll and YES! I *am* Canadian!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom