Canadian Bands - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2002, 11:22 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:05 AM
Canadian Bands

there are many great canadian bands. Some of which have been around for a long time and are super-talented but are barely known outside Canada!!

What are you fav. canadian bands?

lets see...

-Neil Young is a given!!!

-The Rheostatics: kings of underground canadian rock. Very good music!!

-The Tea Party: Not everyones cup of tea, but if you like dark rock with lots of minor progressions and fantastic use of sitars and eastren intruments you'll love them!! Has a very dark and rich oriental flavor

-The Tragically Hip: Not a favorite of mine but they have been around forever and they do make a lot of great music.

-Godspeed you Black Emperor: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go listen to these guys. Its very experimental but extremely good!

------------------
I'm not living
I'm just killing time

Old 05-09-2002, 11:39 AM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:35 PM
When I saw the Rolling Stones on their No Security Tour, a band opened for them called Wide Mouth Mason. They kicked so much ass, but I have never heard of them since!

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

Old 05-09-2002, 11:41 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:35 PM
I love The Tea Party. They have a good following here in Australia. Wicked tunes.They have been such a great band. Their stuff is hypnotic.
Old 05-09-2002, 11:44 AM   #4
Refugee

I really like Sloan. I have seen them live a couple of times and they have impressed me every time.

I am starting to like the Tea Party. I have also seen them live about a million times, and I always thought that they had good energy but I was never into their music. I heard a couple of songs of the newest album and I really liked them so I bought the album. It rocks

BNL.... I don't know why, I guess that it is mellowing with maturity but I am starting to really appreciate these guys, even though I used to think of them as just a bunch of goofs.

Tragically Hip.... I go through phases of loving, and hating this band, but no matter what, you gotta respect them....

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"
Old 05-09-2002, 01:28 PM   #5
Ghost of Love

Local Time: 10:35 PM
The BEST BEST BEST Canadian rock band EVER is none other than RUSH!!!

While the others listed are great bands as well, they've a ways to go before they reach the longevity and status of Rush.

Gabriel
Old 05-09-2002, 01:43 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

bonochick, wide mouth mason are from saskatoon, saskatchewan(where i went to high school! ). they are still around, can't remember titles or specifics but they did have an album out recently and yes they are quite good

absolute, hands down best canadian band is the tragically hip. great musicians, excellent lyricist and persona in gord downie, and a live show that is only bested by U2
Old 05-09-2002, 02:27 PM   #7
War Child

Local Time: 03:35 AM
I'm rather embarassed by fellow canucks Nickleback and Default (ugh) at the moment. And can't stand the overblown music of the Tea Party or Our Lady Peace.

But, have to say Hayden is one of our best, especially his latest album "Skyscraper National Park."

Must agree that Godspeed You Black Emperor (and their side projects) are truly unique.

Also, the Joel Plastik Emergency (ex Thrush Hermit lead singer's band, i think) is quite good.

Sloan is amazing, though their last album blew chunks.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:37 PM   #8
Elvis' Naughty Angel

What about B4-4? or Wave? come on!! They rawk!! lol Ok, I am kidding.

Favourite Canadian Bands.... Hmm...

I have always really like "I Mother Earth" back in the day when Edwin was lead singer. I too am growing fond of the "Bare Naked Ladies" and enjoy the "Matthew Good Band" (even though they broke up).

I like a lot of songs by Canadian artist, but don't own alot of full albums. I am not amongst the "Tragically Hip" fans at all and can't stand them actually.

One of the best artists to come out of Canada--> Joni Mitchell.
Old 05-09-2002, 02:51 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:35 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by spinninghead77:
I really like Sloan. I have seen them live a couple of times and they have impressed me every time.
I really want to see them--I like what I've heard. Everyone who's seeing Pete Yorn on this tour with Sloan opening needs to report back.

Tragically Hip is one of the best band names.

I love Neil Young!!!!!
Old 05-09-2002, 04:00 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie:
I really want to see them--I like what I've heard. Everyone who's seeing Pete Yorn on this tour with Sloan opening needs to report back.

Funny... In Canada Pete Yorn would open for Sloan.... In fact, I would love to see that

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"
Old 05-09-2002, 08:22 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:35 PM
rush sucks so much horse shit, horses dont even need to sit to shit.

if i havent made myself clear, rush is ass. theyre horrible, almost as bad as celine dion. im ashamed to share the same international borders as they do.

noone noone NOONE has a worse voice than geddy lee. NOONE. he sounds like a rat thats been doused in oil, lit on fire, and is now being drowned (but hes still on fire).

i hate them more than anything else on this earth.

default are a 10 generation pearl jam wannabe band. atrociously terrible.

nickelback: most overated canadian band of all time.

the hip: i share most of your sentiments, i dont hate em, i dont love them, but theyre not too bad. plus they have the song "fireworks" which has to be one of the best "canadian" songs of all time.

b4-4 what a great boy band. same with wave, and dont forget about id and three deep! canada has lots of beautiful pop stars.

and now the time has come for the girl band that was made up on tv some time ago...i forget what theyre called though for some reason.

anyway, if corporate big wigs are gonna make a group, why wouldnt they at least put GOOD looking people in there?!

olp: i really dig their latest song "somewhere out there", very fake plastic trees-ish, though for that reason it makes me not like it, because they appear to want to be like radiohead.

sloan: id love to hang out with these guys, enough said.

mathew good band is a supreme ass. i have no use for him, but some of his old music is alright.

the tea party are good, and i think its possible to think of them as awesome. but for me personally, i just cant get that into them. really good group.

did i mention how much rush and geddy lee are the worst shitheads this country has ever produced?

and whats up with geddy?!?! seriously?!?!? why would you play bass that HIGH!?!!??! whats wrong with you??!?!? learn how to sing already.

man do they suck.

the bottom line: europe makes far greater music, north america sucks, though ofcourse there are definate exceptions.

------------------
after years of waiting, nothing came.
Old 05-09-2002, 09:09 PM   #12
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
bonochick, wide mouth mason are from saskatoon, saskatchewan(where i went to high school! ). they are still around, can't remember titles or specifics but they did have an album out recently and yes they are quite good
Hey, thank you for the info!

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place
Old 05-09-2002, 09:19 PM   #13
War Child

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Tragically Hip
The Tea Party

Any idea of the name of the band that played the intro and commercial fillers to Kids In The Hall??
Old 05-09-2002, 10:27 PM   #14
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by wannabe:
Any idea of the name of the band that played the intro and commercial fillers to Kids In The Hall??
shadowy men on a shadowy planet

Old 05-10-2002, 12:01 AM   #15
War Child

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Awesome, thanks SKeeK!!!