Canada Wins Gold At World Hockey Championships!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Canada rules Worlds: Win gold on Carter OT goal
Sweden's Mats Sundin named tournament MVP

http://www.faceoff.com/home/news/story.html?f=/news/20030511/030511News3132738.html

By PIERRE LEBRUN
Canadian Press

I-030511News3132738-1.jpg

(AP Photo/Martin Meissner)

Canada's Shane Doan (Phoenix Coyotes), centre, fights for a rebound with Sweden's Dick Tarnstrom (Pittsburgh Penguins), right, in front of goaltender Mikael Tellqvist during the final game of the Ice Hockey World Championship in Helsinki, Finland, Sunday. Canada won 3-2 in overtime to take the gold medal.

HELSINKI, Finland

Canada was on top of the hockey world on Sunday when Anson Carter scored in overtime in a 3-2 win over Sweden to win gold at the world hockey championship.

But the gold didn't come easily. The Canadian team's celebration following Carter's wraparound goal at 13:49 was halted for several anxious minutes while Czech referee Vladimir Sindler phoned upstairs for a video review.

Sindler signalled that the goal was valid and the celebration resumed.

"Words can't explain how I feel right now," Carter said. "The character and the pride came through on the ice in the end."

Carter, a Toronto native traded from the Edmonton Oilers to the New York Rangers this past season, tucked the puck under the right pad of Swedish goaltender Mikael Tellqvist.

Canada ended a six-year absence from the medal podium with its previous medal of any colour a gold in 1997 here at Hartwall Arena.

The lucky loonie legend from Canada's Olympic gold medal win last year was revived in the victory as the Canadian team staff had managed to plant a loonie in one of the nets under the crossbar and Carter scored on that net.

Roberto Luongo was a standout in goal for Canada, especially in overtime when Sweden had a 12-5 edge in shots.

After a scoreless second period, Shane Doan of the Phoenix Coyotes scored at 9:03 of the third to force a sudden-death, 20-minute overtime in which each team played four aside.

Sweden jumped out to a 2-0 lead on goals by P.J. Axelsson of the Boston Bruins and Swedish league star Mathias Tjarnqvist before Shawn Horcoff of the Edmonton Oilers got a late first-period goal to cut the deficit in half.

Sunday's game featured a battle of goalies who started the tournament as backups with Luongo of the Florida Panthers subbing for injured Sean Burke and Toronto Maple Leafs farmhand Tellqvist, unseating veteran Tommy Salo of Edmonton.

The crowd of 13,387 at Hartwall Arena was split evenly among Swedish fans wearing the Tre Kronor colours and local Finns who cheered lustily for Canada.

The Finns always want their Scandinavian rivals to lose but even more on Sunday with Wednesday's devastating quarterfinal loss still fresh in their minds. Finland blew a 5-1 lead to lose 6-5 to Sweden.

Right from the opening faceoff Canadian head coach Andy Murray had Kris Draper's checking unit on Sweden's top forward line of Colorado superstar Peter Forsberg and Henrik Zetterberg of Detroit and Tjarnqvist.

Draper effectively checked Forsberg, but Sweden's most dangerous attacker all game long was Maple Leafs captain Mats Sundin, who was the best player on the ice for either team.

Canada had the first two power plays of the game but didn't get a good scoring chance on either. The Swedes kept the Canadian attackers to the outside and forced them to make difficult passing plays.

Draper's line had just stepped on the ice to check Forsberg's unit when Luongo stopped Zetterberg from close range but Tjarnqvist was there to swipe in the rebound, giving the Swedes a 1-0 lead at 10:17.

Luongo made a pair of oustanding saves during a Swedish power-play, stopping Zetterberg from the slot.

Canadian defenceman Mathieu Dandenault punched his Red Wings teammate Zetterberg after the play, a reminder that there were no friends on the other team on this day.

Canada was able to defend Sweden's attempts at the long pass two weeks ago in a 3-1 win.

The Swedes have a winger play up high near the other blueline on their breakouts, opening up the ice in front of the puck-carrier and stretching the opposing defence.

That worked on Sunday when Axelsson got behind defenceman Jay Bouwmeester, took a pass from Toronto's Mikael Renberg and skated in alone from the left side to score Sweden's second goal at 18:39 on a wrist shot along the ice that beat Luongo five-hole.

Murray sent out his energy line and Horcoff slid a loose puck past a sprawled Tellqvist to score a huge goal for Canada 43 seconds from the end of the first period.

Oilers defenceman Cory Cross was crunched by Renberg late in the first period and didn't return.

Jamie Heward, the seventh defenceman, took Cross's spot alongside Dandenault.

The Swedes controlled most of the play in the second period with Luongo forced to make big saves off Sundin and Axelsson from close range early in the period.

The highlight of the period was a shift three minutes from the end when Canadian captain Ryan Smyth slid a shot just pass the far post.

The Swedes turned around and sprung Sundin loose for a clear breakaway from centre ice but the Leafs captain was high and wide trying to go top corner on Luongo.

Sundin barely missed on a wrap-round just over a minute into the third period. Seconds later Edmonton centre Mike Comrie was stopped from close range.

Daniel Briere had a glorious chance from the slot on a power play six minutes into third period, but his shot deflected wide at the last second.

Doan tied the game when he took a pass at the left faceoff dot from Horcoff behind the net and beat Tellqvist with a wrist shot that didn't seem to have that much on it, a weak goal allowed by the Leafs' minor-league netminder.

Axelsson whipped out in front moments later and tried the top corner but Luongo stretched out the glove in his best save of the night.

Sundin and Comrie exchanged late-period breakaways, Sundin missing the net on his backhand deke and Comrie shooting straight into Tellqvist's chest.

Last edited:
What's up Sweden?... you should be kicking everyone's asses... it's disappointing really.

Chizip said:
are you sure you're canadian cujo?

:uhoh:

I think I'm more Canadian than most... whereby I'd rather see amazing hockey, as opposed to an elite team tanking. The victory is much more sweet, when it's against an opponent that is prepared to go as far as you are willing to go.

Another thing, it's difficult to be nationalistic and cheer for your home squad, when half of the squad is composed of players who are rivals of your favorite teams.

hockey.jpg

ouch!!! canada just got scored on by poland!!! poland!!! suckers

:lol:

that's awesome... the best though is Blades of Steel. How come all the Canadians look like Mario, and all the Polish look like Luigi?

cujo said:
:lol:

that's awesome... the best though is Blades of Steel.
Blades of Steal was an incredible game! I had that game mastered. I learned how to score with the pass button instead of the shoot button, which enabled me to put the puck in the open side of the net and away from the arrow! It was great. I scored every time. It got boring after a while because of that though.

Michael Griffiths said:

Blades of Steal was an incredible game! I had that game mastered. I learned how to score with the pass button instead of the shoot button, which enabled me to put the puck in the open side of the net and away from the arrow! It was great. I scored every time. It got boring after a while because of that though.

LOL! That's like NHL2K...my sister and I figured out that if you just rammed the opposing player into his own net, it scored one for the home team.

We won 81 games. It's weird how that does get boring.

The 2002 version makes you actually play. :|

Back
Top Bottom