Canada Roads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This has to be the most newfies (sorry Gibby, you count) on the one thread.

I'm coming back for 3 weeks in mid July. Woohoo! The weather better improve or I will be pissed.:mad:

trevster2k said:
This has to be the most newfies (sorry Gibby, you count) on the one thread.

I'm coming back for 3 weeks in mid July. Woohoo! The weather better improve or I will be pissed.:mad:

BUT I'M NOT A NEWFIE! I'M NOT EVEN CANADIAN! OH :censored: IT ALL!

I'm a Newfie at heart though. :wink:

Have fun! :wave:

you're all so self-centred, it's beyond hilarious. :down:

maybe some of us NORMALS would like to be heard every once in a while. ever think about that?

GibsonGirl said:

BUT I'M NOT A NEWFIE! I'M NOT EVEN CANADIAN! OH :censored: IT ALL!

I'm a Newfie at heart though. :wink:

Have fun! :wave:

I know, you are from South Africa, that's why I said you count too.:wink:

How did you family end up in central NL anyway?:huh:

Zoomerang appears to be feeling neglected. :( Tossed aside like something that is...tossed aside. :( Someone give him a party hat or something.

Zoomerang96 said:
you're all so self-centred, it's beyond hilarious. :down:

maybe some of us NORMALS would like to be heard every once in a while. ever think about that?

Jealous:p

:wink:

Actually you got ten times more posts than myself so I pretty sure you have been heard.:laugh:

trevster2k said:

I know, you are from South Africa, that's why I said you count too.:wink:

How did you family end up in central NL anyway?:huh:

I know. :wink:

Well, we caught a lovely Airbus from Cape Town, made a twelve-hour stop over in Frankfurt (which has a wicked cool train service at the airport). Then we spent three hours in Toronto, which SUCKED because it was the Stanley Cup finals and everyone was watching it instead of helping the freezing South Africans through customs. :mad: And then we flew to the land of the Newfies. Oh and my father works here. Or something.

Smartass!:D

My point is that it's a helluva long way to relocate. But I do recall that you are a huge HABS fan so you folks must have been here for a while. Do you still have an accent, not newfie BTW?

It's odd, actually, I can speak in both accents. When I'm at home or around people I'm comfortable with, I speak with my normal South African accent, but when I'm around Newfies, I frequently lapse into Newfinese. It's kind of like an insecure tick kind of thing. I'm trying to stop it, but it's hard.

Oh and we've been here for four or five years. More than enough time to get addicted to hockey. :drool: Rugby's still better, though. :wink:

Rugby does kick serious ass. Hey, we got rugby teams at home, you should have joined the girls team in your area.

I used to know Rod Snow, he is our most famous rugby player.

The double accent thing is a special power, use it wisely because with great power comes great responsibility.

Good nite and good luck at MUN this fall. I guess that's where you will end up, and keep the partying to a minimum. :wink: and stay clear of George Street AKA my second home. Hey, do you still need an NLC ID to get in bars? ( the NLC ID was a special ID you had to get from the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation that would be the only acceptable form of ID to get in clubs and bars, figures only newfies would have an official drinking license, I still got mine from a long time ago. )

trevster2k said:
Rugby does kick serious ass. Hey, we got rugby teams at home, you should have joined the girls team in your area.

I used to know Rod Snow, he is our most famous rugby player.

The double accent thing is a special power, use it wisely because with great power comes great responsibility.

Good nite and good luck at MUN this fall. I guess that's where you will end up, and keep the partying to a minimum. :wink: and stay clear of George Street AKA my second home. Hey, do you still need an NLC ID to get in bars? ( the NLC ID was a special ID you had to get from the Newfoundland Liquor Corporation that would be the only acceptable form of ID to get in clubs and bars, figures only newfies would have an official drinking license, I still got mine from a long time ago. )

Alas, most of the people in this town don't even know rugby exists. :( (I'm not in Corner Brook by the way, forgot to mention it - I'm in a small town on/near the east coast but I'm not going to say where, lest Basstrap or someone shows up on my door step. :angry: ) If there was a rugby team, I would have joined it a long time ago. :sigh: Rugby...how I miss you.

Thanks, I'll try. :wink: Although, I'll probably be the one telling all of the drunk people in res to shut up. And yeah, I think you need the ID. I know someone who can make fake ones, though, so I'm fine!

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:
It's odd, actually, I can speak in both accents. When I'm at home or around people I'm comfortable with, I speak with my normal South African accent, but when I'm around Newfies, I frequently lapse into Newfinese. It's kind of like an insecure tick kind of thing. I'm trying to stop it, but it's hard.

I actually have people tell me at work "you don't sound like you're from here." These are mostly American people, visiting the area for the first time. I think I went through a stage where I didn't like my accent, and made a concerted effort to speak mainlandian (my new word of the day :wink: ).

In my childhood videos, however, I'm dropping h's and saying yes b'y! at every turn. The great moments are when I was going through a "My God + Yes B'y!" combo of newfoundland terminology (as in, my god, that's a good sandwich...what is it? Tuna? Yes B'y!).

At the moment, in spite what those darn Americans say, I think my accent is detectable, but not overwhelming. I'm actually more proud of my heritage now than when I was a kid. I recognize the uniqueness of my origins and try to embrace them, but it's equally important for me to be a citizen of the world and stay open to new ideas/opinions.

holy crap that was corny!:ohmy:

don't mind me

I am weird

don't worry,. I'm in alberta now

tell us all where you live gibson?

twillingate!!!

a whole shit load of grade 12 students visited our town from there a year ago.

neat people.

Zoomerang96 said:
twillingate!!!

a whole shit load of grade 12 students visited our town from there a year ago.

neat people.

We're all neat people here Zoomerang...and we all fish and have Newfoundland dogs for pets. Drop over some time and I'll take you for a spin in my dory....not afraid of very deep water are you?

Back
Top Bottom