Canada just got ROBBED!!!! - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2002, 01:10 AM   #76
War Child

Local Time: 09:22 PM
I'm a pro wrestling fan, and so it bugs me when people say they don't like wrestling because "It's fixed." Oh yeah? Take a look at figure skating.

The stuff about the ice-dancing conspiracy is interesting, and it will result in boffo ratings. If the judges actually vote the top five the way that it's been predicted to go, they will look like the biggest fools on earth and set themselves up for investigation.

------------------
"You gotta love living, baby, 'cause dyin's a pain in the ass."-- Frank Sinatra

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

Old 02-14-2002, 03:02 AM   #77
The Fly

Local Time: 10:22 PM
Well, I'll probably get in trouble for this, but I see figure skating to be judged not by how well you perform the athletic requirements such as jumping, spinning, footwork, etc., but by how well you wave your arms in the air, smile and grin like an idiot, and wear the most ridiculous looking puffy shirt in the closet. These guys are athletes, no doubt, but if the "artistic merit" (read: arm waving) is a bigger factor than doing a jump better than the next guy, I have trouble calling it a "sport".

As for the judging, it's happened before, and it'll happen agian until something serious happens. Don't just ban the judge for a year, ban 'em for life. Game over. Furthermore, teh country from which the judge is from should also be banned from sending judges to international events since the judge is ultimately responsible to that country's federation. And the ban should be one with teeth, something in the order of 5 years minimum so it'll really show that this "sport" has some credibility. If nothing else works, the IOC should drop all figure skating events from the Olympics (although this'll never happen since it generates tons of cash) until they get the judging in order.

That's just my humble opinion, and I'll get off my soap box now.

Old 02-14-2002, 01:27 PM   #78
*Stormy*

Local Time: 02:22 AM
SALT LAKE CITY, Feb. 14 — France’s Olympic chief said the French figure skating judge was “manipulated” into voting for the Russians in the pairs competition, and NBC News has learned that according to the referee, the judge felt pressure from her own figure skating federation. Sources within the investigation told NBC News that the referee said French figure skating judge Marie Reine Le Gougne revealed the information at a routine, post-competition judges’ meeting Tuesday.

HOWEVER, DIDIER GAILHAGUET denied any wrongdoing on the part of the French skating federation in what has become the biggest story of the Winter Games.
“Some people close to the judge have acted badly and have put someone who is honest and upright, but emotionally fragile, under pressure,” Gailhaguet said of judge Marie-Reine Le Gougne. “She is a fragile person and I think she has been somewhat manipulated.”

Astounded by the original admission, American referee Ronald Pfenning of the United States wrote to Ottavio Cinquanta, the president of the International Skating Union, to inform him of the possible cheating in the judging of the pairs final, NBC News learned from sources inside the investigation.

Meanwhile, in a highly unusual move, the International Olympic Committee told the figure skating union to quickly settle the judging dispute that has consumed the Winter Games for two days.
On Thursday, Cinquanta said the ISU would not alter its timetable for the investigation, however.
Questions of improper judging have centered on Le Gougne, one of five judges who favored the Russians despite the couple’s obvious technical error. Elena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze edged Canada’s Jamie Sale and David Pelletier 5-4 in the free skate Monday night.
“We cannot continue to let our judge be lambasted in this way,” Gailhaguet said. “What is true is that Marie-Reine has been put under pressure, which pushed her to act in a certain way.
“We have no fear,” Gailhaguet said, speaking as president of the French skating federation. “Contrary to the accusations, there was no collusion with the East European nations.”

Old 02-14-2002, 01:51 PM   #79
Banned

I still think medals should be not taken from Russians , after all thier program was excellent and it will be very unfair and bad thing to take it away from them . Judges must be punished , but not innocent sportmans .
Old 02-14-2002, 01:54 PM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanClaytonJnr:
I still think medals should be not taken from Russians , after all thier program was excellent and it will be very unfair and bad thing to take it away from them . Judges must be punished , but not innocent sportmans .
Ivan, no one is proposing to take the medals away from the Russians. What IS being suggested is that if it is found that there was intentional collusion between the judges that Sale and Pelletier be awarded a second gold medal and that they would be co-champions with the Russian pair.
Old 02-14-2002, 08:15 PM   #81
Banned

Bullshit , it's a stupid hysteria to me , it's just one medal and besides Canada isn't good at this kind of sport , maybe this pair was good enough for Titanic , Oscar or Playboy but it's a pro/sport , but nooo all people acting like it's a Cold war era or something . Blah !
Old 02-14-2002, 08:44 PM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Bullshit , it's a stupid hysteria to me , it's just one medal and besides Canada isn't good at this kind of sport ,
This is typical Russian attitude of "We know skating and nobody else does. We don't care about world rankings, we are the best, we own, and we are entitled to the gold."

Saying that Canada "isn't good at this kind of sport" is both ridiculous and insulting, particularly in light of the fact that Sale and Pelletier, not Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze are world champions.
Old 02-15-2002, 05:02 AM   #83
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Bullshit , it's a stupid hysteria to me , it's just one medal and besides Canada isn't good at this kind of sport
Canada not good at figure skating?
Kurt Browning, Sonia Henie, Elvis Stojko, Brasseur and Eisler, Underhill/Martini, Bourne/Kraatz

All have an world, if not olympic medal under their belts...and there's more. I just can't name them all. Don't talk about sports if you don't understand them.

Old 02-15-2002, 10:40 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Ivan, if you think that, then it's blatantly obvious that you have absolutely no clue about figure skating. Sale and Pelletier are the current world champions, so it's not a case of them not being "as good" as the Russians. It's potentially a case of corrupt judging, of judges trading marks with each other for other figure skating competitions, and THAT is wrong and unfair to the athletes. Canada isn't "whining", they are demanding fair play...something that is a cornerstone of the Olympics and of sport in general.
Old 02-15-2002, 11:35 AM   #85
Banned

Still , there is too much noise about this whole thing , gold medals are taken , and if canadians will receive another pair , now that's what i call unfair case . Thank god , today Hockey will start .
Old 02-15-2002, 12:26 PM   #86
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Still , there is too much noise about this whole thing , gold medals are taken , and if canadians will receive another pair , now that's what i call unfair case . Thank god , today Hockey will start .
There's noise b/c this has been happening for years in skating. This is the first time it's publicly been admitted that a mistake was made.
If you look at everyone's posts, we are saying that gold medals WILL NOT be taken. Canadians may receive a duplicate gold, that's all. Stop trying to pick a fight.