Canada just got ROBBED!!!! - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2002, 06:35 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by zonelistener:
Question for the "neighbors to the North":

Last night, NBC mentioned in one of their broadcasts that Curling is almost as watched as "Hockey Night" in Canada. Is this true? And I am serious....
I would think this is a gross overstatement. Hockey Night in Canada, with Don Cherry shooting his mouth off is a huge show. I'm sure people watch curling, but that many people? I doubt it.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:02 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
I guess I'm not allowed to comment on U2's music either. Bummer.
That's an absurd comparison and you know it. Feel free to troll elsewhere.

Old 02-12-2002, 07:07 PM   #48
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer:
<TROLL>
No matter how physically taxing or difficult it is, any event that requires judges to evaluate its "artistic merit" should not be
considered a "sport".
</TROLL>
Hah. well call it competitive artistry if you like... I don't care if it's classified as a sport but figure skating still deserves a place in the olympics

Old 02-12-2002, 07:22 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 10:34 PM
uh, not to change the subject or anything, but has anyone seen the American ice dancing couple, Naomi Lang (only Native American to compete in a Winter Olympics)and Peter Tchemyshev? Hey, we all know they have a snowballs chance, but, oyyyyyy, Peter is a cutie pie!!! At least judging from the picture in the LA Times today. The article in online but there's no picture....

The latest word is that the International Skating union will conduct an "internal assessment" into last night's judging (or lack of it!)
Old 02-12-2002, 07:25 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by jezebel:
The latest word is that the International Skating union will conduct an "internal assessment" into last night's judging (or lack of it!)
Yeah...this from cnn.com

Quote:
SALT LAKE CITY (CNN) -- The International Skating Union announced Tuesday that it will conduct an "internal assessment" into a controversial judging decision at the finals of the Olympic pairs figure skating competition Monday night, where the coveted gold medal went to a Russian pair who stumbled, rather than to a Canadian couple who didn't.

In a statement issued after a routine review of Monday's judging, the ISU, the sports federation governing figure skating, said it will try to determine whether "the ISU rules and procedures have been respected."

Canada's Jamie Sale and David Pelletier, the reigning world champions, skated what the crowd in the Salt Lake Ice Center judged as a nearly flawless performance in their long program Monday night.

But five of the nine judges put them behind the Russian couple of Yelena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze who took the gold.

During the Russian pair's final skate, Sikharulidze bobbled the landing on a double axel jump. Fans in the arena who saw both couples skate booed and jeered as the results were posted. The decision has sparked outrage across Canada, where the headlines on two major newspapers read, simply, "Robbed!"

"We have no control over this. It's not the [Russian] skaters fault, either. We do our job, and the judges do their job, and they are human, too," said Sale. "We're not sure what happened, but we're just really happy with what we did." Judges from Russia, China, Poland, Ukraine and France placed the Russians first; judges from the United States, Canada, Germany and Japan gave the nod to Sale and Pelletier.

The results raised anew a long-running controversy over block voting, in which judges have been accused of voting together to favor skaters from their regions, broken down along Cold War lines.

Four of the judges who voted for the Russians are from former Soviet or communist countries; the four who voted for the Canadians are from countries in the Western bloc. The French judge was the exception, going with the Russians -- somewhat ironic, considering that Pelletier is French-Canadian.

After the decision, he told the Canadian media that he was considering hanging up his skates.

"After a night like tonight, you badly want to cut your figure skating career short," he told the Toronto Globe and Mail.

In the 1998 Nagano Games, a Canadian judge publicly raised charges of block voting in the ice dance competition, which led the ISU to issue new procedures to review controversial decisions.
Old 02-12-2002, 09:07 PM   #51
MacPhisto's serving wench

sula - I REALLY thought that M&D deserved gold in 94. I was crushed that they didn't. They were PHENOMENAL-->AMAZING. I loved the spin at the end. I prefer the dramatic, emotional myself, over the simple elegance of G&G. G&G were good, I love Moonlight Sonata, but not the best. And I felt that Eisler and Brasseur were terribly underrated. Though it was a close call. I wouldn't have wanted to be a judge that night! That's the problem with professionals being allowed to compete again...

Stormy - I wonder too about Michelle Kwan, although I think the medal will go to Irina Slutskaya. She's good, so good. But then again, so is Michelle. It really comes down to who skates better on THAT night.

Which brings me to my next point. One of the commentators (Barbara Underhill) said that perhaps the judges felt bored w/ Love Story because they had seen it before. But the Olympic Games are to test how the person(s) perfom ON THAT NIGHT...not three years ago, two months ago, or in practice the day before.

*Sigh*

Sale and Pelltier are more famous now that they DIDN'T win...it's weird. The IOC is to look into it, I've read. What they SHOULD do is award the gold to S&P....but leave the other gold w/ B&S. Have 2 golds (it's happened in other sports). That would be the fair thing. Admit a mistake had been made, don't punish the Russians, rectify the error, and whoooosh!

[This message has been edited by The_Sweetest_Thing (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old 02-12-2002, 09:23 PM   #52

Now I haven't seen all the analysis, cause I'm at school, but my dad says when you add the scores, the Polish and Chinese judges actually TIED the Canadians and Russians. That's not what they're there for. They're there to PICK A WINNER. In the end, it was the French that lost it for them, cause the mark goes to who got the higher artistic impression mark. And that went to the Russians (why??)

Looks like Pelltier was right when he said they lost it because of the French judge...
Old 02-12-2002, 10:04 PM   #53
War Child

OH NO

Here we go again!!!!!!!!!!

And that's all I'm gonna say right now!!!
Old 02-12-2002, 10:07 PM   #54
War Child

That's BOGUS! I'm sorry for them The results are tainted, and it casts doubt on all the voting in all the skating events now.

------------------
~Burned by the fire of love~
Old 02-12-2002, 11:18 PM   #55

Oh Elvis...why????
Old 02-12-2002, 11:22 PM   #56
War Child

AGAIN?????

A Russian completely falls on his butt, misses a triple loop, and places ahead of Elvis who only made a bobble on his quad????

What's going on here????
Old 02-12-2002, 11:49 PM   #57
Refugee

Local Time: 05:34 AM
Well, I'm not really an expert but I think the judges held Elvis down...who was the turkeyhead (I can think of much ruder epithets, but anyway) who gave him 4.9?!

His interview afterward was a bit strange. He said "I felt great during the whole program" but obviously he wasn't totally happy. Not surprising. I wonder if he was thinking evil thoughts about judges, or if he was annoyed with himself, or? But if they played him that low just for not landing the quad properly and doing everything else fine, how high would he have placed even had he landed the quad?

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T
Old 02-12-2002, 11:55 PM   #58

Keep in mind folks, that Elvis moved on his spin...a flaw. I still think he was more dynamic than Pluschenko, and the 4.9 was a friggen joke. He deserves to be anywhere from 4-7. Really.
Let's just wish him luck in the long...
Old 02-12-2002, 11:58 PM   #59
Refugee

Local Time: 05:34 AM
True about the spin. I still think he deserved to be absolutely no lower than 6th. Anyway, I am just sincerely proud of him for coming back the way he is from the problems that have plagued him, well, since the last Olympics (I remember getting up in the middle of the night to see his long program in Nagano and crying, especially when I realized how well he had skated when he was badly injured...). I have to admit that even last year when he was talking about being at the Olympics, I was afraid that it might just end up being sad. As it is, he will definitely go out of the Olympics having acquitted himself with honor.

------------------
Love was never a single emotion

-ACROB@T
Old 02-13-2002, 12:13 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally posted by scatteroflight:
True about the spin. I still think he deserved to be absolutely no lower than 6th. Anyway, I am just sincerely proud of him for coming back the way he is from the problems that have plagued him, well, since the last Olympics (I remember getting up in the middle of the night to see his long program in Nagano and crying, especially when I realized how well he had skated when he was badly injured...). I have to admit that even last year when he was talking about being at the Olympics, I was afraid that it might just end up being sad. As it is, he will definitely go out of the Olympics having acquitted himself with honor.

Yeah, I cried too. Elvis....I always wonder if things had been different if he would have won gold in 94...if he would still be around.

He already HAS honour--we know it. This is just his way of showing it to the rest of the world.