can you help me think of...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
I'm doing a paper about how in the 2 timothy finley novels i read most of the characters are controlled by outside forces and have little actual control of their own fates and destinies, and that these characters are also in the upper echelons of society, where one might suspect they would have more power.

I have to do a presentation, so I'm trying to think if there's any movies that have very applicable parts to show a short clip of, or maybe a song, or a poem that deals with that subject matter. Or if you have some wonky idea of a great way to do a presentation on that. But I'm just trying to tap the collective minds here for some good references that have similar theme.

Thanks a bunch.

now will you write my paper on farm subsidies?

SkeeK said:
the characters are controlled by outside forces and have little actual control of their own fates and destinies, and that these characters are also in the upper echelons of society, where one might suspect they would have more power.

Shakespeare's The Tempest. Prospero is a magician who creates a storm that engulfs an island but at the end it's discovered that the storm was all an illusion and blah...there's a lot of stuff that fits the first part of what you need.

i could show peter greenaway's version! that would be fun.

"The House of Mirth" with Gillian Anderson. About an upper class lady (emphasis on the lady) who, one would think, would have everything she wanted. She has looks, charm, money, etc.
But in the end, because of some mistakes, she loses everything.

I think it could work for your theme. It's a good movie (and book!) anyway! :wink:

Elisabeth

mmm good suggestion! i want to emphasize the upper class as well as being controlled by what is expected of them.

SkeeK said:
mmm good suggestion! i want to emphasize the upper class as well as being controlled by what is expected of them.

Then House of Mirth would be perfect for you! Because it's about the controlling rules and what happens to a woman if she disregards or bends them.

Sounds like a cool project! :) Good luck!

Elisabeth

leech

now i just need a real good title. anybody? lol

Back
Top Bottom