Can you drive with a cast on your foot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DiGi

New Yorker
Does anyone here know if it is possible to drive with your foot in a cast? Legally, you cannot, but is it physically possible? Have you done this?

I have a problem with my achillies tendon that has been on and off for a long time. Its stopping me from running again. I have tried just about everything for it. The doc wants to cast it for 3 weeks to take all the pressure off of the tendon. The cast would be hard plaster or whatever it is, my foot would be immobile and the cast would come up to just under my knee.

I am ready to do this, my only concern is how I would drive to work for the next 3 weeks. I have a manual and it is my right foot.

As well, I would not want to put someone elses life in jeopardy if I had a problem stopping my car. There is no public transportation to where I work.

I probably would not attempt it because of the increased possibility of injuring others if you got into a car accident because you won't have the freedom of movement of your foot. Sure you may be able to drive a short way with it alright, but if there ever was an emergency where someone cut in front of you or you had to think and stop quickly and react with your foot quickly...I just wouldn't do it.

I broke my right hand (almost 2 years ago I guess) when I was in a car accident. I tried to drive in the parking lot with my cast on, and it was just too painful when I had to switch gears. I had to rely on taxi's and co-workers to take me to and from work. It was a pain to have to rely on others, but I just didn't feel safe driving in that condition.

Perhaps there is a co-worker or friend or relative who goes home the same way you do, or where it wouldn't be that great of an inconvenience to take you home or pick you up? Offer to pay for their gas, and maybe take them out for a nice dinner to repay them.

ABEL said:
I probably would not attempt it because of the increased possibility of injuring others if you got into a car accident because you won't have the freedom of movement of your foot. Sure you may be able to drive a short way with it alright, but if there ever was an emergency where someone cut in front of you or you had to think and stop quickly and react with your foot quickly...

pretty much my thoughts as to why i should not do this

How far do you live from work?

And why is there no public transporation? :scratch:

23 miles

because the brains who planned the northern VA area a while ago did not run the metro (DC subway system) all the way out to the area i work at, which is insane because it is the VA high tech area (lots of jobs). There is a major airport (Dulles) 3 miles from my office building and the metro only goes half way there (great thinking) and there is no bus system from the last station on the metro line to where i work.

I am sure I will figure this out somehow.

When I tore my right knee up a couple months ago, I still drove.

I used my right foot for the gas pedal, and my left foot for the brakes.

It worked fine.

Mrs. Edge opened up a thread about driving? :LOL:

Youch Digi!

Hell, I see people driving with two feet all of the time - they are the ones who are doing 70 with the brakes on.

Damn suburban designers. Is carpooling an option?

Re: Mrs. Edge opened up a thread about driving? :LOL:

zonelistener said:
Youch Digi!

Hell, I see people driving with two feet all of the time - they are the ones who are doing 70 with the brakes on.

Damn suburban designers. Is carpooling an option?

going to see if i can find out about that. Maybe I will just go and get another opinion first though

I would only try It blindfolded.:coocoo:
Maybe a friend would be willing to trade cars with you for a few weeks.:up:

GRRRR...flashback to about 10 years ago

Can you drive with a cast on your foot?

Driving home one evening, I was turning right into a gas station which was *just* past a main intersection. Just before turning, I glanced in my rearview mirror, and see a white *something* speeding crazily toward me, and before I had time to turn or even react....*BAM!!!*

The idiot teenager (no offense to teens here) who smacked into me gets out of his car, and his entire right leg is in--I swear--one of these things:
vacuumsplint_1.jpg
and I was like WHAT gave you the idea that you could drive with that thing on???

Amazingly, there was very little damage to my car, and I had the typical whiplash, but....crikey, what a doofus for even driving with that thing on!!! :mad: :rant:

Back
Top Bottom