can you apply for jobs....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
....you know you don't qualify for? I'm looking at all these job openings and while I have the right degree, the right concentration, and the right experience with computer software, they ALL say "5-7 years prior experience" or "at least 10 years experience", etc. WTF? How the bloody hell does anyone actually get a job? I mean, in my mind, you either have the RIGHT education and the RIGHT skills or you don't. What gives? I'm 21, if I had 7 years prior experience, that would mean I'd have to have been an expert at marketing, business writing, and web design at age 14 :huh: You'd think some of these oganizations would be interested in some young blood and fresh ideas. I'm tempted to just ignore the "experience" part and start firing off resumes. Is that a dumb move?

Liv - a friend once told me "Send the resume...worst that can happen is they trash it." There's the expense of all that postage, but if you land a job, seems to me it's worth it. :shrug:

:up: Good luck with your search!

The short answer is 'yes'. If they like what they see you might just get the magic call. Also, they might have another position that you might be suitable/qualified for.

Good luck with your job search.

Free advice that I give everyone: a great book for persons looking for work is "Knock 'Em Dead" by Martin Yates. :up: :up:

It contains all sorts of info on resumes, interviews and the all important follow up.

a wise man once told me..

"What, you're afraid they'll say no? You're already at no."

granted, this was in regards to asking someone out, but I think it's applicable to this too :wink:

My husband works in the IT, and the general consensus is that companies are worried your a little too green for the job.Try going for helpdesk roles and go up or out with that experience they are after more hands on experience.

Also a photo attached to your resume is helpful as places a person not a number to the potential interviewer (i know its korny but it seems to work especially when you are sending resumes).

Good luck!:up:

I knew a guy who applied for a job which had as a main qualification "must speak Cantonese." He didn't. He told them why it wasn't necessary for him to know it, and he got the job. :shrug:

Ofcourse you can. Sometimes motivation is better that education. ( my boss picked his employies that way ) :up:

Ok, if you are a gardener, it is not very usefull to aply for a job as computer expert :D

You can send them, but as you know, most resumes are "scanned" now and they look for keywords. Pictures are tossed.

yet...it never hurts to send them. They might have something else that you might fit!

fly so high! said:
My husband works in the IT, and the general consensus is that companies are worried your a little too green for the job.Try going for helpdesk roles and go up or out with that experience they are after more hands on experience.

I've been working an IT HelpDesk as senior computer technician for four freakin years now and I'm about ready to go on a shooting spree :huh: The job itself is alright and my co-workers are great, but I get really frusterated, almost to the point of depression, where everyday all day all I'm doing is listening to people rant and complain on the phone. I need a job with projects and teams, something where I can work on something big and feel some sense of accomplishment every once in a while. I've already turned down two IT positions with the HelpDesk because I know I can't really be happy there. I've already been there longer than all but two of my collegues and I'm not even done with my degree yet!

Sure you can. I got my current job this way, and although I was missing about 2 years of the stated experience, I got lucky because they were looking to hire a young person right out of school who would stick around for a long time.

If the requirement is really way beyond what you have (say 10 years, additional degrees or diplomas, etc), then I probably wouldn't bother, but for everything else - give it a shot! You never know what part of your resume they'll like.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
....you know you don't qualify for? I'm looking at all these job openings and while I have the right degree, the right concentration, and the right experience with computer software, they ALL say "5-7 years prior experience" or "at least 10 years experience", etc. WTF? How the bloody hell does anyone actually get a job? I mean, in my mind, you either have the RIGHT education and the RIGHT skills or you don't. What gives? I'm 21, if I had 7 years prior experience, that would mean I'd have to have been an expert at marketing, business writing, and web design at age 14 :huh: You'd think some of these oganizations would be interested in some young blood and fresh ideas. I'm tempted to just ignore the "experience" part and start firing off resumes. Is that a dumb move?

OMG tell me about it! Searching for an entry-level job is the hardest! It seems like every employer wants at least 2 or 3 years experience, but how can you get that experience unless somebody hires you!? :huh: Now I have about 2 to 3 years experience and will hopefully have a slightly easier time looking. But again there's gonna be those 5 - 7 years experience seekers! :mad:

I would say just go for it and apply for the jobs and don't bother too much about the experience they're asking for. Who knows, they may like something else on your resume, like how you described a certain skill or project and call you!

I was going to post a similar thread... i got my college degree last year and i've been working as an illustrator since then, but my bf talked to me about this important (important!) publishing house looking for someone who manages their photo stock, that takes a lot of responsability.

Re: Re: can you apply for jobs....

Zootlesque said:

OMG tell me about it! Searching for an entry-level job is the hardest! It seems like every employer wants at least 2 or 3 years experience, but how can you get that experience unless somebody hires you!? :huh: Now I have about 2 to 3 years experience and will hopefully have a slightly easier time looking. But again there's gonna be those 5 - 7 years experience seekers! :mad:

I would say just go for it and apply for the jobs and don't bother too much about the experience they're asking for. Who knows, they may like something else on your resume, like how you described a certain skill or project and call you!

:reject: I'm near the 5 year mark in terms of entry level experience (4.5 years actually)....but then I didn't have much when I was working at a theater. But hopefully I'll get this job that I have an interview for tomorrow.

Thanks guys! The reason I asked was because I'm only 21 and I've been working my current job for four years and it was my first *real* (like full time) job and it was basically handed to me on a silver platter b/c I'm a girl (it's an IT job and I work with all guys). I don't have much experience with interviews and resumes and wasn't sure if it's OK or annoying to send in resumes if you don't meet all the requirements.

I was in a really bad mood when I started the thread b/c I'd found about 20 jobs I could get really excited about, then read all the requirements, and it almost seemed like if these companies were to fill those jobs based on the requirements they list, they'd be hiring people that are OVER qualified for those jobs. Also, the reason I was looking for these jobs online was because my mom's friend told her about this job with Save The Children and she made it seem like it was a position no one really wanted and I could easily get the job if I was willing to move to CT, so I go online to read the *official* description and according to that, it's something I'd never qualify for. WTF? Whatever.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I've been working an IT HelpDesk as senior computer technician for four freakin years now and I'm about ready to go on a shooting spree :huh: The job itself is alright and my co-workers are great, but I get really frusterated, almost to the point of depression, where everyday all day all I'm doing is listening to people rant and complain on the phone. I need a job with projects and teams, something where I can work on something big and feel some sense of accomplishment every once in a while. I've already turned down two IT positions with the HelpDesk because I know I can't really be happy there. I've already been there longer than all but two of my collegues and I'm not even done with my degree yet!

That was the reason why my hubby had to get out 4 years ago, the company is not IBM is it?
I think alot of people overestimatewhat it actually means to get a job in IT , the BS that you have to put up with to get where you want!
And the companies know this ,thats why they pay crap!
PS..... Not sure if anyone wants to hear this, but my hubby always try to sus out if any of his buddies really want to get into IT, if they are not sure he tries to stear them away from it!

fly so high! said:

That was the reason why my hubby had to get out 4 years ago, the company is not IBM is it?
I think alot of people overestimatewhat it actually means to get a job in IT , the BS that you have to put up with to get where you want!
And the companies know this ,thats why they pay crap!
PS..... Not sure if anyone wants to hear this, but my hubby always try to sus out if any of his buddies really want to get into IT, if they are not sure he tries to stear them away from it!

No, it's for Calvin College. I do phone support, printer and computer hardware maintenence, and lots on on-site calls for faculty and staff.

I'm not really looking to get into IT anyway. My degree will be business communications and a minor in third world development.

Sure you can apply, especially when you have 4 yrs of help desk experience. You know, all this customer relationship mgmt is important.

Also, I would advise you to not take another help desk job. After 4 years, you are burnt out and you just don´t want to pick up the phone to hear about these damn stupid IT problems. Professional communication companies know that everyone at a help desk is burnt out after a couple of years.

Apply for everything you want that fits you. Don´t exaggerate it though, there are executive positions that require skills like being able to lead a team - and if you have never been in one of these positions, they will not take you. To apply for a position which requires 2-3 yrs experience in the same field is ok if you have a little of experience in a related field.

Yes, definitely apply and look for whatever sounds interesting. You have 4 years experience in your current role. You can likely identify other computer work to further expand on this level of work.

The key at this point is to get in contact with a live person. After scanning your resume, a recruiter will narrow down the choices and make direct calls. If the job is truly beyond your skills, you will know it after the call.

I would say go for it, sell yourself. If you believe you can handle the job go in and talk to the prospective employer. Never know what might happen....the worst they can say is no thanks, you aren't what we are looking for for this job.

Back
Top Bottom