can you apply for jobs.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2006, 04:05 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:36 AM
LivLuv, look at your post count!

Old 02-05-2006, 04:06 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

I've been working an IT HelpDesk as senior computer technician for four freakin years now and I'm about ready to go on a shooting spree The job itself is alright and my co-workers are great, but I get really frusterated, almost to the point of depression, where everyday all day all I'm doing is listening to people rant and complain on the phone. I need a job with projects and teams, something where I can work on something big and feel some sense of accomplishment every once in a while. I've already turned down two IT positions with the HelpDesk because I know I can't really be happy there. I've already been there longer than all but two of my collegues and I'm not even done with my degree yet!
That was the reason why my hubby had to get out 4 years ago, the company is not IBM is it?
I think alot of people overestimatewhat it actually means to get a job in IT , the BS that you have to put up with to get where you want!
And the companies know this ,thats why they pay crap!
PS..... Not sure if anyone wants to hear this, but my hubby always try to sus out if any of his buddies really want to get into IT, if they are not sure he tries to stear them away from it!

Old 02-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

That was the reason why my hubby had to get out 4 years ago, the company is not IBM is it?
I think alot of people overestimatewhat it actually means to get a job in IT , the BS that you have to put up with to get where you want!
And the companies know this ,thats why they pay crap!
PS..... Not sure if anyone wants to hear this, but my hubby always try to sus out if any of his buddies really want to get into IT, if they are not sure he tries to stear them away from it!
No, it's for Calvin College. I do phone support, printer and computer hardware maintenence, and lots on on-site calls for faculty and staff.

I'm not really looking to get into IT anyway. My degree will be business communications and a minor in third world development.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:53 AM   #19
Refugee

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Cool!
Old 02-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 03:36 AM
Sure you can apply, especially when you have 4 yrs of help desk experience. You know, all this customer relationship mgmt is important.

Also, I would advise you to not take another help desk job. After 4 years, you are burnt out and you just don´t want to pick up the phone to hear about these damn stupid IT problems. Professional communication companies know that everyone at a help desk is burnt out after a couple of years.

Apply for everything you want that fits you. Don´t exaggerate it though, there are executive positions that require skills like being able to lead a team - and if you have never been in one of these positions, they will not take you. To apply for a position which requires 2-3 yrs experience in the same field is ok if you have a little of experience in a related field.
Old 02-06-2006, 10:48 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:36 PM
Yes, definitely apply and look for whatever sounds interesting. You have 4 years experience in your current role. You can likely identify other computer work to further expand on this level of work.

The key at this point is to get in contact with a live person. After scanning your resume, a recruiter will narrow down the choices and make direct calls. If the job is truly beyond your skills, you will know it after the call.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:12 PM   #22
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:36 PM
I would say go for it, sell yourself. If you believe you can handle the job go in and talk to the prospective employer. Never know what might happen....the worst they can say is no thanks, you aren't what we are looking for for this job.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:19 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 06:36 PM
I got my current job that way! Take a chance, you never know what can happen.