Can I be like a Formula 1 guy around here?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
There is a distinct lack of F1 on this forum so unless anyone wants to say I can't (which I'm fine with) I'd like to post F1 news.

USA Grand Prix - Qualifying.
1. Trulli (Toyota)
2. Raikkonen (McLaren)
3. Button (BAR)
4. Fisichella (Renault)
5. M. Schumacher (Ferrari)

Shoot for the stars bro, we had a F1 thread before but it died, we scared off most of the Ferrari "fans" thus it died. :wink:

I'm really hoping Raikonen can close the gap on Alonso this race. :)

Palace_Hero said:
I love F1 but the sport has been disgraced today.

Agreed. The more commercial it has become, the more boring it is to me. Back in the 80s - that was a better period.

Edited to add: oops, just realised you're specifically referring to the farce today. Anyway, my general point stands. Could this be the beginning of the end for B.E. and his lackey Mosley?

Last edited:
:tsk:

F1 really shot itself in the foot today. Pathetic display of management. Actually, they were fortunate to do this in America where no one gives a damn anyway. If this kind of thing happened in Europe, the fans would have stormed the track and turned over the cars.:wink:

Very true, trevster2k, most of the American fans were irate but dignified and totally justified in their complaints. Having said that the Yanks won't put up with this crap and I don't blame them.

what happened today? :scratch:

I didn't saw the race... they broadcast it like at midnight here for free (to watch it live I have to pay)

Basically Ralf Schuamcher and Ricardo Zonta (Toyota test driver) crashed at exactly the same spot on Friday practice. Ralf wasn't involved in qualifying yesterday so Zonta took his place. Apparently it's got something to do with the tyres and Michelin couldn't figure out what was wrong and the FIA refused to allow them to change to safer tyres.

Today the issue still hadn't been resolved; the plan was to build a chicane at the turn and nine out of the ten teams agreed except Ferrari. With the decision vetoed, all the teams running Michelins pulled out after the parade lap and pitted, leaving only Ferrari, Jordan and Minardi to race.

Understandably the US fans there were very pissed off.

Last edited:
I couldn't belive it when I heard the news...I will have a heart attack if the US GP goes ahead next year. The race would have been EXTREMELY boring. Here's the results -
1. Michael Schumacher (Ferrari) 1:29.43.181
2. Rubens Barrichello (Ferrari) + 1.522
3. Taigo Monteiro (Jordan) + 1 Lap
4. Narain Karthikeyan (Jordan) + 1 Lap
5. Christijan Albers (Minardi) + 2 Laps
6. Patrick Friesacher (Minardi) + 2 Laps

DRIVERS POINTS
Michael Schumacher 10
Rubens Barrichello 8
Tiago Monteiro 6
Narain Karthikeyan 5
Christijan Albers 4
Patrick Friesacher 3

CONSTRUCTORS POINTS
Ferrari 18
Jordan 11
Minardi 7 - Best points haul in a season ever.

trevster2k said:
:tsk:

F1 really shot itself in the foot today. Pathetic display of management. Actually, they were fortunate to do this in America where no one gives a damn anyway. If this kind of thing happened in Europe, the fans would have stormed the track and turned over the cars.:wink:

:up:

A farcical race. Am I right in thinking that was Michael's first win this season?:scratch:

yep that was his first win. IMO he was really lucky to have gathered 18 points from the two NA races. McLaren and Renault are well ahead of the Ferrari at the moment.

Yesterday was an absolute disgrace.

Ferrari should hang there heads in shame, sure the aim of sport is to win against the competition, but when you intentionally prevent the competition - then there is no win at all.

This is typical Shchumacher utter win-at-all-cost bullshit & I've had enough since 1997 (let-alone 1994) :rant:

Actually I don't know if the FIA would have gone ahead with the decision even if Ferrari had agreed.

A lot of people have been blaming Michelin for not providing safe tyres in the first place but I think the FIA should have done something to not make the race descend into what it did yesterday. The FIA needed to be decisive, and it wasn't.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Actually I don't know if the FIA would have gone ahead with the decision even if Ferrari had agreed.

I'd say Bernard would've squeezed there balls to a point where they would've had to have. Too much has been invested into Indianapolis to break F1 in America. A problem like this should not have made them piss it all away (like they have).

Whilst it is Michilens fault for making garbage tires, it is the FIA's rules which prevented changes being made.

I've also never understood why 10/10 votes are needed to change something like this (or anything for that matter). Surely 9/10 or 8/10 should be enough to change something like this.

There is no reason why Ferrari should be aloud to ride rough shot over the sport.

timothius said:
I've also never understood why 10/10 votes are needed to change something like this (or anything for that matter). Surely 9/10 or 8/10 should be enough to change something like this.

There is no reason why Ferrari should be aloud to ride rough shot over the sport.

I wholeheartedly agree with that...it really annoys me. The same thing happened when the other nine teams wanted to minimise testing as a way of cost cutting but Ferrari didn't sign. Michael Schumacher was asked about the win and he said that "obviously it is not an ideal way to win my first race of the season but one of 84 is not a disaster."
Who here likes this guy?
The US GP was a day when the sport should have overridden politics but that didn't happen. It just goes to show what a mess the sport has become. Ferrari and the FIA need to wake up to themselves. Personally, while I was against a break off league a while ago, if the every team but Ferrari broke off the world would be a happier place.
The solutuions -
1. Sack Max Mosley. Name one good thing he has done lately. He screwed the sport beyond recognition with shit rules that no one liked.
2. Change the voting system so that only 75% is needed to pass something not 100%.
3. MAKE THE SPORT FAIR instead of the sport being all-Ferrari. E.g. - The Fia needs to make sure that Ferrari is happy. That is their top priority. That Ferrari is happy. Not to make sure the sport is being watched by anyone, or how the sport is liked at the moment, as long as Ferrari are happy, they are at peace with the world.

Now their might be those who disagree with me, but that is my opinion. It could save the sport.

Enough said.

The FIA continues to kill itself...the comments about Patrick will just seal the deal that F1 will never work in the U.S. again. To not only make comments in the press, but then to call her and repeat the comments...truly tasteless.

As for the "investment" F1 has made in the U.S....let's review this. Watkins Glen, NY used to host the F1 GP. FIA wanted so much money from the village, that they had to give it up. Same story for Las Vegas, Detroit and the rest of the US cities (outside of Indy). FIA has killed its own chances in the US...and now this?

I really hope that all of the fans get their tickets and travel money refunded in the lawsuits.

FIA has announced that they have found the seven teams who did not race guilty of 2 offences and will be punished in September. Michelin tires has announced an offer to purchase 20,000 tickets and distribute them to people who were at this years match race between the Ferraris.

Jenson Button is starting on the front row of the British G.P. and no one cares? A win, on home turf, after this week would be huge. Good luck Jenson.

Ah yes, finally more F1 in this forum.

Montoya won and I'm happy for him! But I would have felt better if Alonso had won. But who cares, Fernando is still leading the championship!

I expected Jenson to do better at the British Grand Prix. After all he was on the front row...

Kimi blows up :( almost handing the title to Alonso. Still, it's better than MS winning every week. Waiting for Monza and Spa, some real tracks.

Things are getting pretty boring with Alonso winning all the fucking time. Everyone complained about MS dominating in the past. But it's just as bad this year with this Spanish retard in his shit French car. Fuck F1 this year...it blows :madspit:

Achtung Joshua! said:
Things are getting pretty boring with Alonso winning all the fucking time. Everyone complained about MS dominating in the past. But it's just as bad this year with this Spanish retard in his shit French car. Fuck F1 this year...it blows :madspit:

:hmm: Kimi won last sunday so that's not true anymore. There's still a chance that Kimi might win the title. If his car doesn't break down all of the time. Or else we'll just see a new Spanish champion this year....and Michael Schumacher will retire out of shame. Michael was on pole position but he lost anyway. Sooooo unlike him :rolleyes:

I hope the drivers championship goes on to the last race just to keep the interest up. Has anyone heard anything about the new track in Turkey? Probably another flat, featureless, soulless piece of real estate with grandstands and a paddock.

Monza!

:hyper: Alonso is going to be world champion this year! I'm sure of it.

The race in Italy yesterday was won by Montoya while Kimi lost another race. I didn't expect to see that Montoya and Kimi would have the same problem with their tires.

Michael Schumacher sucked this weekend. I thought he'd do better than he did. My boss thinks Ferrari is doing badly on purpose to make the sport more interesting but I don't agree with him. :eyebrow:

I think it's stupid to think something like that. A team never wants to do badly in Formula 1.

Adam'sbaby said:
Monza!

Michael Schumacher sucked this weekend. I thought he'd do better than he did. My boss thinks Ferrari is doing badly on purpose to make the sport more interesting but I don't agree with him. :eyebrow:

I think it's stupid to think something like that. A team never wants to do badly in Formula 1.

hehehehe interesting point of view

am a ferrari fan...really disapointing showing this season..i think it was because of the tyres they arent doing too well..they shud have got michelin by the middle of the season ..and yeah i hope raikonnen gets really close to alonso by the end of the last race..i love hollywood endings:)

i can't believe there's a thread about formula 1?!?!?
i'm a huge ferrari fan, but this year just went away...............
alonso wins, but tkimi raikkonen and mclaren mercedes would have deserved to win the title, they were the fastest!

Back
Top Bottom