Can Guys be ONLY FRIENDS with GIRLS? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2003, 06:00 PM   #61
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:14 AM
it would have been interesting if this was a poll where you had to idnetify if you were male or female when answering the question. i think more females tend to think it is possible while the guys maybe tend to think it is harder. maybe its because you girls dont really know what is going on in your "guy friends" minds...

or i may be an idiot

Old 06-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #62
Elvis' Naughty Angel

Local Time: 09:14 AM
I am living with a friend right now that I wish was more than a friend, but he isn't interested in me. So there. Guys can have girls for friends and not want them.

Old 06-07-2003, 09:02 PM   #63
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 AM
See, I told u so

most ladies always want the freak sooner or later.

db3
Old 06-07-2003, 09:03 PM   #64
War Child

Local Time: 05:14 AM
Not all of us
Old 06-07-2003, 09:04 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 06-07-2003, 09:09 PM   #66
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Don't get mad...I can still squat more than you!
Old 06-07-2003, 09:28 PM   #67
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by Bbug

edited to say, I think the only reason my friendships with straight guys work out is because they don't think of me as a female person. I mean, there's some bizarre de-girlifying logic in the way that they view me. They'll always be like "Hey, did you see such-and-such an interview in Maxim?" and I'm all "Why the hell would I be reading Maxim?" And they just kind of stand there with this befuddled look on their faces, like "Oh, crap, I forgot, she's a girl!" I think if I weren't into sports, or if I were more physically attractive or something, the friendship wouldn't work out, y'know?
yes i have fallen into the just one of the guy roles. having to read articles in Maxim, Playboy, etc.

i swear sometimes they do forget i am a female and say things they shouldn't infront of me. evil: i don't mind it is fun.

and chiz, i am the idiot, i was going to do a poll, but i could not figure out how to do one.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:31 PM   #68
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Quote:
Originally posted by Angel
I am living with a friend right now that I wish was more than a friend, but he isn't interested in me. So there. Guys can have girls for friends and not want them.

sorry
Old 06-07-2003, 10:05 PM   #69
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TripThruUreWires
Can a girl be ONLY FRIENDS with a guy?

Absolutely. Not a problem.

Can a guy be ONLY FRIENDS with a girl?

From personal experience, i would have to say it's highly unlikely. The majority of my friends have been guys; however, maintaining it at the platonic level has been pretty difficult and frustrating on my part. Honestly, i'm not trying to sound egotistical or anything, but i'd have to say that around 99% of all of my guy friends have tried to move in on me at some point--whether i had a boyfriend or not at the time. I should point out that I do nothing whatsoever to mislead them. Unfortunately, once i find out they are interested in me romantically, the relationship somehow becomes tainted and i automatically become self-conscious of my every action and response whenever i'm around them.
EXACTLY!!!!!! you are not being egotistical at all. i have had this happend to me many of times with out me giving out any hints. actually i would have thought i would have given off the "there is NO way" vibe to them plenty, but for some reason it doesn't sink in for some. for example one of my best male friends tried to put the moves on me last summer. it shocked me and came out of left field. he and i have been friends for 5 years now and he tried to plant a kiss on me! i had to shove him away from me and quickly left to go home. it made me mad. i was just sitting on the couch minding my business watching freakin ESPN sportscenter and he plots down beside me and pulls that stunt on me. he was not the first guy to do that which is another reason it annoyed me. and because of the attempt makeout sesson he wanted, i wouldn't go out with him for months after incident because i was so mad with him. in fact i am going to LA with him and his friends at the end of July for a weekend. and i am worried he is going to do this shit again. actually this is the reason for this thread. i have stated to him i am not interested in him as anything more and have no desire to try anything. he has stated he is cool and undestands and has apologized for his actions, but he is still making comments and attempting moves on me. now it is like I am some challenge for his book of conquers.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:45 PM   #70
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75

he has stated he is cool and undestands and has apologized for his actions, but he is still making comments and attempting moves on me. now it is like I am some challenge for his book of conquers.
Then he is not cool at all and he needs one of these in his ass.

Old 06-07-2003, 11:55 PM   #71
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
one of my best male friends tried to put the moves on me last summer. it shocked me and came out of left field. he and i have been friends for 5 years now and he tried to plant a kiss on me! i had to shove him away from me and quickly left to go home. it made me mad. i was just sitting on the couch minding my business watching freakin ESPN sportscenter and he plots down beside me and pulls that stunt on me. he was not the first guy to do that which is another reason it annoyed me. and because of the attempt makeout sesson he wanted, i wouldn't go out with him for months after incident because i was so mad with him. in fact i am going to LA with him and his friends at the end of July for a weekend. and i am worried he is going to do this shit again. actually this is the reason for this thread. i have stated to him i am not interested in him as anything more and have no desire to try anything. he has stated he is cool and undestands and has apologized for his actions, but he is still making comments and attempting moves on me. now it is like I am some challenge for his book of conquers.
oh come on, give me a break! you obviously set yourself up for that one...sitting down on a couch watching espn!! you might as well have sat point blank in front of him and pulled a sharon stone ala Basic Instinct!

perhaps we girls continue to hang out with straight guys while clinging on to this far fetched hope that they are capable of looking past our breasts and cootchie (is that an actual term ) to see our inherent value as nothing more than a friend. anyway, i suppose i will continue to subscribe to this idea, despite the fact that i have been proven wrong time after time. . .it's true, i love the male species way toooo much...PLATONICALLY that is (haha...i just know the single guys of interference are sitting behind their computers cringing every time they see that word appear: basstrap).

missvelvet.....i suggest you invest in a stungun for this upcoming trip to L.A.....i'm sure it will come in handy. use it directly on his frankfurter and beans if he tries anything funny. don't worry, it will be a true test of your friendship. if he truly values your friendship in any way, he'll make an effort to curb the surges in testosterone.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:27 AM   #72
Bono's Belly Dancing Friend

Local Time: 09:14 AM

I'm in this thread a bit late, but my 0.02....I have a lot of male friends. Many of them I have met through U2 related things like Propaganda and interference, and others I have met at work or the cottage or whatever.

Yes of course, some of them have been attracted to me and admitted as much, but that hasn't done anything to harm the friendship at all. In fact, it puts me in a very good mood being around them and knowing that SOMEONE other than my husband is attracted to me. You can objectively say you have an attractive friend and even flirt a bit without things going haywire. That's what makes man friends so much fun! I am equally fine with my husband having all the women friends and flirting that he wants too. I can't understand these couples who won't let each other have friends of the opposite sex. Nuts to that I say!

I also have male friends who have no attraction to me whatsoever and that's fine too. The problem is when friends cross the line uninvited, and unfortunately that's what happened to you Iris. That really sucks, being put in the position of feeling awkward around one of your close friends.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:12 AM   #73
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Then he is not cool at all and he needs one of these in his ass.

I love that reply!
Old 06-08-2003, 12:11 PM   #74
Refugee

My best friend for the past ten years is a female. We had a rough couple years in our friendship because we both told each other how we felt, and we acted on those feelings. Problem is, she was married. To make matters worse, she ended up getting divorced(nothing to do with me), so the whole matter came up again. She realizes how I feel about her, but they were far more than what she felt for me. Our friendship is completely different than it used to be, but fortunately it was strong enough to keep going through all of this. I want her to be happy first and foremost, and I'm still dealing with the fact that, well, you can't make people feel a certain way about you. I would never want to give up being friends with her either. My answer to the question is yes, it is possible to be friends. It can be tricky at times though....I guess.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:52 PM   #75
Blue Crack Distributor

to put an end to the conversation, i will invoke the words of a man i've quoted many a time in this forum, the greatest social commentator of our time... mr. chris rock.

Quote:
'Lot of women here tonight, that's good. i like women, my mom's a woman, that helps. you know one cool thing about women? women get to have platonic friends.... "he's my pal, he's my bud, he's my platonic friend, i love him like a brother, he's my bud, he's my platonic friend." men don't have platonic friends. we just have women we haven't fued yet. i mean we've got some platonic friends. i've got some, but they're allll by accident. every platonic friend i got is someone i was tryin' to fk... made a wrong turn somewhere... and ended up in the friend zone... "oh no... i'm in the friend zone." women keep platonic friends forever. why? 'cause you never know. they get rid of girlfriends every week, but they keep them platonic friends around forever... why? 'cause ya never know. you know what a platonic friend is to a woman? a dik in a glass case. in case of emergency, break open glass. and fellas, if your woman has platonic friends, that's who she'll be fuing when you mess up. that's right. it's going to happen to you. you know the next man to fk your woman. you've met him, he's been in your house, he ate your food, he drank your wine... and he shall betray you.