Can Guys be ONLY FRIENDS with GIRLS? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2003, 01:57 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:58 AM
Velvet Dress, you know already my opinion on this , but just to add to the discussion...YES, it is very much so possible. I'd say most of my friends are female. Only a couple of them was I ever interested in, and when it became clear that nothing further was going to happen with them, I assimilated accordingly. I asked this one girl out once, but she only wanted to be friends, and to this day--even though she's in a commited relatiionship now--we are still best of friends. And I would never date her now, even if she were single. Well, never say never, but the point is, I have absolutely zero desire, at this point of my life, to be anything more than friends with her. I also know many straight guys who have close, platonic only friendships with females. So, YES, it is most definitely possible.

I should also add this: guys aren't attracted to all females, but guys still love to spend time with females if they share a common interest (ie, sports, etc)...so there are many cases of male/female companionship which are not based on any kind of sexual attraction.

Old 06-06-2003, 02:00 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by ABEL

i'm sure that question pops up in one's head at some point or other, from the male or female's perspective, even if it's never spoken about in the relationship but that doesn't mean that you can't be just friends.
Exactly. This is it in a nutshell. (Well, maybe not a nutshell, that would be a tight fit, but you get the drift.)

Old 06-06-2003, 02:08 AM   #18
Refugee

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Of course they can! The majority of my friends are guys - and we are just friends. Have been for years.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:18 AM   #19
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:58 AM
I've had MANY guy friends.. and its usually when we both have significant others. I do believe its possible to be only friends with the opposite sex.

As for what goes through their mind....... that's another story
Old 06-06-2003, 02:26 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 03:58 AM
ive made it very clear to all my female friends that i would never consider dating them. it makes things way easier for everyone knowing i (being a guy) dont have a hidden agenda.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:59 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

As for what goes through their mind....... that's another story
Old 06-06-2003, 04:03 AM   #22
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:58 AM
Yes it is possible, though maybe not if it's a 'see each other every day, do everything together' kind of friendship. At least in my experience, the "what if" feelings are bound to come up eventually if you're constantly hanging out with a girl, unless there's just no physical attraction whatsoever.

I'd like to think that ultimately it would be nice to be friends first and then date, but sometimes it can really make a friendship awkward when you try and introduce romance after too much time of just friendship.

Most of my friends are women, and with those who I've had feelings for at one time or another, I've either gotten over those feelings or we just don't spend that much time together (cool off period... ), so there's not a lot of interaction to feed the feelings. Though usually after the cool off period things return to a nice healthy friendship.
Old 06-06-2003, 04:10 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Exactly, Diemen, exactly. You could have written that for me.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:23 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:58 AM
All of my close friends are female. I'm talkin' about those kinda friends that you see and hang out with. I can't really think of any male friends that I hang out with. Well, except for my brother. I just feel more comfortable hanging out with female friends. Oh wait, I'm drifting off of the subject. Yes, it is possible. I think alot of it relies on what type person we are talking about. For example, some of my friends could be considered "Tom Boys" (one of them even plays LaCrosse, swears and drinks more than me). I, on the otherhand, am not the typical "male." I do have to admit that I have, one time or another, developed crushes on some of my friends. But then again look who's talking here *cough*

Oh, and for the female sect... please do not demand that your signifigant other dump his friends just cause they happen to be the opposite sex. I had an Ex try that one on me
Old 06-06-2003, 06:15 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Cleasai

Oh, and for the female sect... please do not demand that your signifigant other dump his friends just cause they happen to be the opposite sex. I had an Ex try that one on me
my friend's ex girlfriend had serious problems with me being friends with her boyfriend.

thanks all for the comments.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:04 AM   #26
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 05:58 PM
Can a girl be ONLY FRIENDS with a guy?

Absolutely. Not a problem.

Can a guy be ONLY FRIENDS with a girl?

From personal experience, i would have to say it's highly unlikely. The majority of my friends have been guys; however, maintaining it at the platonic level has been pretty difficult and frustrating on my part. Honestly, i'm not trying to sound egotistical or anything, but i'd have to say that around 99% of all of my guy friends have tried to move in on me at some point--whether i had a boyfriend or not at the time. I should point out that I do nothing whatsoever to mislead them. Unfortunately, once i find out they are interested in me romantically, the relationship somehow becomes tainted and i automatically become self-conscious of my every action and response whenever i'm around them.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:11 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 10:58 AM
I have many male chums too, I get on more with men cause i act a bit laddie meself, plus its dead easy cause I dont think they look at me and think 'oh er, Id like to sleep with her hey!'...ya know? I love it with men! I dont think Im like 'sleepable withable'

I did try to relation with one dude, but that all f*ked up.
Old 06-06-2003, 09:32 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:28 AM
Girls seem to LOOOOOVE platonic relationships.

The whole "being seen as a brother" thing has caused me many tears

I guess if I ever want a girlfriend it can't be anyone I'm friends with...though that would be the ideal thing for me, I think
Old 06-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MissVelvetDress_75
gay guy friends would never have interest in a female friend.
Never say never! I've had at least three gay male friends who wanted to 'experiment' with me. I said no.

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
sure, but the "what if" question probably played around in his head at some point.
This has been my experience with my straight male friends--once the friendship becomes solid, they confess to have had 'ideas'.
Old 06-06-2003, 11:29 AM   #30
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:58 AM
I think the only safe ones are the gay ones.

All of my male friends, past and present, seem to develop a thing for me.