Can anyone ever cover the Smiths properly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
I'm listening to Placebo absolutely murder Bigmouth Strikes Again right now. Don't get me wrong, I like Placebo, but this is one of the worst things I've ever heard.

And what about Tatu's terrible version of How Soon Is Now? I've also heard 30 seconds of Love Spit Love's version of the same song and I'm not impressed.

The only decent Smiths cover I've heard is Neil Finn's version of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

Jeff Buckley would occasionally perform great live covers of A Boy With A Thorn In His Side, and a beautiful extract from I Know Its Over at the end of Hallelujah..Muse did a a fair job with Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want but there really isn't much more you can add to that song..like you said there have been some worrying cover attempts over the years :|

Last edited:
I havent heard any covers of any of their songs that I've actually liked. I've heard quite a few I can stomach, but none I really like.

Face to Face covered What Difference Does it Make. It's ok, not good but ok.

yertle-the-turtle said:
And what about Tatu's terrible version of How Soon Is Now?

:scream: :banghead: :tsk: :barf:

One of the single most god-awful seconds of music I've ever made my ears suffer through.

Neil Finn's IS really the only decent one I'm afraid. Although Pete Yorn didn't do too bad of a job segueing "Panic" into "Life On A Chain" live.

The only good Smiths songs are covers of them. To have to listen to Morriseys celebate gay moan destroy great backing tracks is a shame.

yertle-the-turtle said:
The only decent Smiths cover I've heard is Neil Finn's version of There Is A Light That Never Goes Out.

That's the only one I have ever been able to enjoy and that is the one I immediately thought of when I read the subject line. That whole Finn album is great.

MrBrau1 said:
The only good Smiths songs are covers of them. To have to listen to Morriseys celebate gay moan destroy great backing tracks is a shame.

Thank you Mr.Homophob.

I quite dislike Pete Yorn's cover.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated here. :tsk:

Disagree respectfully please without name calling.

This goes for both u2popmofo and MrBrau.

MrBrau1 said:
Yeah, but what are ya gonna do :evil:

oooh you're such a rebel!

I haven't heard a lot of the covers you guys are mentioning. I'll have to check some of them out, especially that Jeff Buckley one.

Also, I totally agree with popmofo about that Pete Yorn cover. I like Pete, but that version of Panic was just wrong.

So all in all, I have nothing substantive to add to this thread. Excellent.

the cover of big mouth...it's not on the new placebo album, is it?

There was actually a Smiths cover album.

I've never heard it, but I had a friend who used to be excessively into the Smiths, and she told me about it. I cant remember who's on it, I'll have to look it up for you all!

Found it:

The Smiths is Dead

The Boo Radleys : The Queen Is Dead - The High Llamas : Frankly Mr. Shankly - The Trash Can Sinatras : I Know It's Over - Billy Bragg : Never Had No One Ever - The Frank & Walters : Cemetary Gates - Placebo : Big Mouth Strikes Again - Bis : The Boy With A Thorn In His Side - Therapy? : Vicar In A Tutu - The Divine Comedy : There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - Supergrass : Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Last edited:
i don't know if the new one is good...it's got a funky cover though...kinda freaks me out...

Back
Top Bottom