Cameras: Digital or Not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clarityat3am

I Serve Larry's Stick
I'm trying to decide if I want to buy a digital camera or a regular one. Then after that I need to decide exactly which camera to get. I need help!!! Any suggestions??? Oh and features on the cameras too. I need suggestions for that as well. It's not going to be for professional use, but I want to be able to take great pictures!

------------------
"It's all about drums."

"What's with all the glitter? I thought you didn't like our mirrorball lemon and shit. Well it's too late to change your mind now." -- Bono, Indianapolis, May 10, 2001

"Tonight with us, we have people who turned celebrity on its head. Celebrities are supposed to be somebody special, film stars, rock stars, we're celebrities. Supposed to be heroes, but we're not heroes. We're very selfish people who enjoy what they do, thank you very much. But here tonight we have from the fire department of New York City, from the police department of New York City, men and women that came down to catch the U2 show tonight. Theirs is the kind of bravery that can truly change the world." --Bono, Notre Dame, October 10, 2001

Whether you love me or hate me you can still email me: clarityat3am@hotmail.com

1. stick with a name brand (I recommend Canon for film, Kodak for digital, but that's merely my personal pref.

2. Consider the following:
Prints or online? If you always want prints, get a film camera. If you will want to put your pix on the web or otherwise post them somewhere, get a digital.

A few photos or tons? If you're going to take tons and tons of photos, you'll save money in the long run by buying a digital. Film and processing add up.

Do you suck? If you take a bad pic with a digital camera, you can delete it and try again. Can't do that with film.

Are you clumsy? If you drop a camera and break it, a film camera could be cheaper to replace.

Obviously, if you don't have a PC handy, a digital camera is not a good idea.

Just some initial thoughts. If you want more than just one person's opinion, there is great information at www.photo.net .

--
Deeper into black
Deeper into white

plus, if you go digital, don't accidentally re-format the disk that has all of your incredibly awesome 6/19 MSG pictures from the front row on them
mad.gif

That would suck if you did that.

Originally posted by muh2o:
plus, if you go digital, don't accidentally re-format the disk that has all of your incredibly awesome 6/19 MSG pictures from the front row on them
mad.gif

That would suck if you did that.

eek.gif

Picture quality used to be an issue, but not anymore. Today's cameras which start out around 2 megapixels will take pictures that are nearly indistinguishable from their film counterparts. Just remember, the higher the quality, the fewer the pictures you can store on a memory card. Most can handle around 1 picture per megabyte. Meaning a 32 MB memory card should hold around 32 pictures, depending on shot resolution. A camera that is rated at higher megapixels will use up that memory card faster.

Of course, if you get a digital camera, you'll need a photo-quality printer to put them into an album. That usually means buying more expensive glossy paper to get a higher quality printout. If you only intend to mail them or put them onto the web, it should be pretty easy to hook up the camera into your computer.

On the other hand, for the price of a low-end digital camera, you could get a really nice SLR 35mm camera. That would allow you to take pictures where you adjust the focusing a lot more to create different results. However, unless you have an interest in photography, all those extra features will go unused. And the newer digital cameras have a lot of those same features anyway, for around the same price.

So basically, if you're taking a lot of pictures that are snapshots and you want to get them into your computer easily, digital is the way to go. If you care about exact details and photo tricks, stick with film. For most people, digital makes more and more sense nowadays. My next camera will definitely be digital, though I'll still hold onto my dad's old SLR.

If you do go with a digital camera, make sure to read all the reviews online and pick a few that seems best. Then, go to a place like Best Buy and actually try the camera out to see if you like the way it fits in your hand, and other stuff like that. Pick one out, and look for the best price online.

Hope that helps!

------------------
Change is the only constant

Ah, sorry to jump in here, but I have a related question. Is it better to put pics on the web through a digital camera, or a scanner? And, if I get a scanner, what kinds are good? And hey, thanks for your time.
smile.gif

------------------
"That's the first time we've played that song in... about 15 years." -Bono, after In God's Country - Phoenix 11/23

One thing kids like is to be tricked. For instance, I was going to take my nephew to Disneyland, but instead I drove him to an old burned-out warehouse. "Oh no," I said, "Disneyland burned down." He cried and cried, but I think deep down he thought it was a pretty good joke. I started to drive over to the real disney land , but it was getting pretty late.

Official L.O.B.P.B.G.G.T.S.H.S.A.E.E of the E.B.O.C

Originally posted by mocool12:
Ah, sorry to jump in here, but I have a related question. Is it better to put pics on the web through a digital camera, or a scanner? And, if I get a scanner, what kinds are good? And hey, thanks for your time.
smile.gif

Well, if you're going to be putting a lot of pictures onto your computer, go with a digital camera. If it'll be more rare, use a scanner, which will cost less. I don't know too much about scanners, but the Epson we have at home seems to be pretty good.

A few names for digital cameras:
Canon PowerShot A10
Kodak DX3500 (cheaper, but fewer features)
Nikon Coolpix series, in various models

------------------
Change is the only constant

Personally, I dont care for digital cameras -but then again I'm not too familar with them either. I LOVE my camera, even if you dont know how to use it, you can still get great shots with the auto-settings etc. It's a Canon Rebel - a little more pricy than the norm but definetly worth it. What's you're price range like? Email me if you want - ultraviolet_baby@hotmail.com

I love my digital camera. I have a Canon. You can print out great pictures on photo paper with the right printer, or you can upload them to a web page like webshots and have them printed, or some photo places can print them out for you if you want the real pictures. I use it to take lots of pictures of my kids, etc. (also concerts
wink.gif
) where I can then throw a bunch of them away if they suck, without wasting film, etc., just delete them. And some of my concert photos turned out awesome.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Back
Top Bottom