Calluna might know the answer to this

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
*points* what she said.

Also...the way the needles come off the branch. Firs tend to grow out opposite eachother so it's like this: =O=

Whereas a pine tree is more like ->O<- Not growing in an even manner out of the branch, and going more in a full circle.

Also, firs smell better. :wink:

Oh my, Im not used to seeing my name in thread titles. :eek:

Lily and Daisybean are both correct. More specifically, both Pines and Firs are types of coniferous trees. Pines belong the genus Pinus and Firs belong to the genus Abies.

Both Pines and Firs are popular as Christmas trees. You tend to see more Pines in drier climates like California and more Firs in wet climates like the Pacific Northwest. Both make good Christmas trees so I guess it is a matter of personal preference as to which one you choose for yourself. Daisybean mentioned that she prefers Pine trees but I always choose a Noble Fir. I feel that the ornaments hang better on a Fir tree because the branches have natural gaps that allow the ornaments to hang more naturally and showcase better on the tree. Grand Firs and Frasier Firs also make excellent Christmas trees.

Hope this helps!

white_pine.jpg

varnoble.jpg

Wow! Thanks girls!

No, I wasn't thinking about a Christmas tree. Yours truly is scared shitless of fire, so when we do put one up, we go the fake-out route. I was up in the Sierra Nevada this past weekend and was gazing out over a lovely vista full of either pine trees or fir tress and wondering what the difference was. Now I know they were pine trees.

Lame follow-up question: So only pine trees have pine cones, then? I ran over countless pine cones this weekend.

If you were hiking in the Sierra Nevadas then I can pretty much guarantee that it was pine trees you saw.

Only pine trees have pine cones but other conifers have cones as well. They come in all different shapes and sizes.

I prefer Cedar trees for Christmas :yes:

I grew up in the country and every year, my mom and dad and my brother and I would go hunt our own Christmas tree and my dad would chop it down from our great uncle's ranch. We'd drive out in the pick-up truck and bring hot chocolate with us :cute:

Although, I have an artificial tree, just a little tiny one in my apartment...I guess it's time to put it up eh? :lol:

:der:

Back
Top Bottom