Calling all women (or men) who dye their hair.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinninghead77

Refugee
Hi Everyone... I was wondering if anyone has a secret trick to get hair dye off skin. I colored mine last night and there are some spots along my hair line that are very discolored right now.....please help.....

Thanks.....

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
Hi Everyone... I was wondering if anyone has a secret trick to get hair dye off skin. I colored mine last night and there are some spots along my hair line that are very discolored right now.....please help.....

Thanks.....

smile.gif
I accidentally dyed a huge spot on my hand dark brown once (the dye somehow got inside the glove). I used rubbing alcohol and non-acetone nail polish remover. I've also heard that you can use milk (on a cotton ball) or as bizarre as it sounds, hand cream with cigarette ash. I haven't tried either of those, so I don't know if they work, but if you're desperate, it's worth a shot.

------------------
"There's a danger in every story and every smile" - South

A good way of avoiding getting the color along the hairline in the first place is to apply a thin layer of petroleum jelly right up to where the hairline begins.
smile.gif

Keeping a towel nearby dabbed in hot water so you can catch spots is also good, I find.

------------------
Bend me, break me
Anyway you need me
All I want is you

I had friends who used nail polisher remover. I've never dyed my hair so I have no personal experiences to offer.

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

I can vouch for the nail polish remover. I definatly get dye on my hands alot and being as I choose to make my hair bright red, this is usually a problem. But yes, to reiterate try putting petrolium jelly around your hairline, it will keep your skin its intended color. If all else fails, just tell people that you wanted to die your skin and that it is haute culture.

------------------
It's like lotto - you gotta be in it to win it.

Keepin it krunk...

Ooo I use that temporary stuff.. it washes right off with soap.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Sicy:
Ooo I use that temporary stuff.. it washes right off with soap.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, if I ever want color, I use temporary stuff because I like offbeat colors like purple and blue.

------------------
"Frisbetarians believe that when they die their soul goes up on the roof, and they can't get it down."

Bonochick's Place

Thanks for the advice everyone. I normally dye my hair reds and blonds so the color isn't noticable, but after deciding to go dark brown last night, I learned why people do the Petroleum Jelly trick.... and will remember for next time....

I will try all those, leaving the cigarette ash's for the last desprete attempt!!

Thanks again....

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

i usually use a bottle of hair dye remover...it really works!
biggrin.gif

but i've been bleaching it lately so i haven't had to worry about looking like i got ketchup or blood on my scalp (since i switch between dark red and platinum blonde)

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
Where do you buy this?

That's what I was just wondering. It would've come in handy a month ago when my hair was eight different colours all at once. Well, okay, not eight, but it was brown in some parts and redder in others. I had to wash it 28 times in one weekend to get it to fade enough that I could go to work on Monday. Never dying my hair again. Unless I get really bored this weekend....

My roots are really showing--I haven't touched up my hair since January. Don't know if I should let it grow out or just dye it again...

they sell it at like sally beauty supply and shiznit, basically the places hairdressers go to get their supplies. some of them you can't go in though unless you have a cosmeotology license, but that's just here and there are places where it doesn't apply.

i dunno if it works on hair though, just skin...but if it doesn't i know there's stuff that you can put on hair to strip it of the dye.

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
My roots are really showing--I haven't touched up my hair since January. Don't know if I should let it grow out or just dye it again...

what colour were you dying it and what colour is your hair naturally?

[This message has been edited by KhanadaRhodes (edited 05-07-2002).]

OH!!! one more thing! lol...
biggrin.gif

i've been trying to bleach my hair for about a week and a half now, i hadn't dyed it since feb. 28 before that, and i dyed it a dark red. after since bleaching it 5-6 times, it's still not all blonde!!
mad.gif

I wish I knew more about it Khandar, but i always have mine done (summertime only). I just had it done again in fact.

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
what colour were you dying it and what colour is your hair naturally?

It's not a huge difference...but I can see it.
wink.gif
My hair is naturally dark brown, and I dyed it "cherry chocolate" so it's kinda purpleish brown...or more like a mahogany...guess that's sounds better.
smile.gif

cigarette ash, although sounds gross, is the most effective. It is easier to work with then petroleum jelly.

------------------
I don't think you're ready for this jelly

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
i usually use a bottle of hair dye remover...it really works!
biggrin.gif

but i've been bleaching it lately so i haven't had to worry about looking like i got ketchup or blood on my scalp (since i switch between dark red and platinum blonde)

Wot bleach do u use cos I want mine platinum but not sure who's to get

Originally posted by UV2001:
Wot bleach do u use cos I want mine platinum but not sure who's to get

i recommend one of three things:

- clairol herbal essences in XL1
- clairol industrial blonde (the other shades in this line are like blue, etc., there's another blonde but that's for streaking, you can tell because the one for bleaching is the smaller box)
- garnier lumia in blonde gardenia

the second one is the best, but it dries your hair out so i recommend using more conditioner than just what they give you.
biggrin.gif

------------------
i like the highlife and the lowlife. it's just the bit in between i find boring.
ME! all day, every day!
"...a poptart in pants..." -- elizabeth

There is a good reason I pay someone to color and bleach my hair, she knows how to do it without me having to use ash to remove color from my skin!!! That's some crazy stuff.

Anyway, I am a believer in that someone that has gone to school to do my hair can and will do it better than I. All of you home color-ers are braver than I am.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I'm a little crazy/vain about my hair. I need to make friends with a hair stylist so I can get what I need for cheap....

Back
Top Bottom