Calling all Ken Burns fans.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teta040

Refugee
As you may know, the first part of his upcoming series, "The War" (about WII) is airing tonight from 8-10:30 (ET).

I just found out about this a couple days ago and wanted to record it. But my VCR has gone on the fritz. It is seperate from my DVD player, which does not record. I don't tape a lot of things, and don't have TiVo, SO....

is there anyone watching it who can tape it for me? I know it is a tall order, this is going to be a LONG series (14 hrs?) spread over 2 weeks, (check PBS.org) for showtimes....but as you might guess, when this comes out on DVD is going to cost upwards of 100$+ I am sure. (THe Civil War" is, what, $120.00?)

Maybe some of you are niot planning to watch it, bored by the subject, maybe. Believe me, watch it. I still remember when I saw "The Civil War" when it debuted on PBS back in Sept of 1990. It changed my life at the time. I STILL remember the end of episode One and the Sullivan Ballou letter.....I am not a war buff but the man is a fantastic storyteller, and his premise, to "bring the dead to life" (there's an excellent Newsweek article on this) and shine a light on who we really are..well, we need more like him. Someone said that instead of "The War" what Americans need is another prime-timne high profile rerun of "The Civil War" b/c much more so than in 1990, it shows who we really are.

ANYWAY....is there anyone who can help? The PBS website will show only short clips.

I'll pay for postage, etc..I know this is a late request (seeing as it starts in maybe less than 5 hrs?) but I may as well try.....

I'm sorry I can't tape it for you. I'm recording it on DVR but I don't know when I'll be able to watch it. A friend whose husband is a journalist was able to see it in its entirety before it aired (because of the journalist husband's connections) and she said it was incredible.

me
tivo too

I have watched 2/3s of night one

and for me
this is not 1/2 as good as The Civil War

I may watch bits and pieces
with fast forward option.

deep said:
me
tivo too

I have watched 2/3s of night one

and for me

I may watch bits and pieces
with fast forward option.

:| Are you insane this is better than The Civil War.

Justin24 said:

:| Are you insane

by legal standards

no

Justin24 said:

this is better than The Civil War.

you did see

I did write

"and for me"

I learned a lot watching the Civil War

one thing I did learn from this
is that German U-Boats sunk many large ships on the American East Coast

I thought Episode 1 was pretty great.

Episode 2 was even slower than the normal Ken Burns.
Still pretty cool if you dig this sort of thing.

I'm sure when the European theatre opens up further in the next two episodes it will get even better.

In fairness to what Deep is saying, I was reading a review of the series, and they made the point that because so much more material on WWII is available, there's not a whole lot of new or illuminating information. They said the strength of it are the human stories which are obviously unique and offer another angle on these events.

Having only seen the first night, I can't judge all of it, but so far I found The Civil War much more fascinating.

The Baseball and Jazz ones were awesome too, BTW.

I can relate, my friend. However, with the cost of tapes and postage, it's going to cost you quite a lot. It might be just worth it to buy the DVDs. The picture will be a lot better, too.

I finally just finished watching this on netflix. I really, really enjoyed nearly every minute of it. The people's individual stories were amazing. The final episode completely wrecked me. I cried through most of it. Regardless of how much I already knew about WWII, how many movies, books, photographs, footage...it still tore me up. The whole series helped me understand my parents a little bit more, both of whom were young adults during the war.

I watched all of it and have since re-watched parts of several episodes.

Really, really, well done.

I have become a bit of a WW2 buff and thinking all along that there wasn't much left to explore, I really appreciated the manner in which the stories were laid out. An American experience of 4 towns, one North, one West, one South, one East, told through the eyes of many different people with different experiences.

I wish PBS would re-run the Jazz series, I didn't catch any of it on the first run. I saw The Civil War and Baseball and obviously they were great.

His next project is America's National Parks.

Back
Top Bottom