Calling All Interferencers! Are You Involved in Your Community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dsmith2904

ONE love, blood, life
Interference.com is looking to profile forum members who are working hard to make their communities and the world a better place. Do you volunteer at the local animal shelter? Are you a chef at a soup kitchen? Do you teach small children to read? Have you marched with Jubilee for debt forgiveness?

Let us share your story with the Interference.com community. Or, maybe you know another forum member who deserves the spotlight for their worthy efforts. Please contact Cristy (mullen_girl01@yahoo.com) with your stories and nominations.

Thanks!!
Devlin Smith
Contributing Editor
Interference.com

maybe after school, and when i'm rich and don't have to work i'll find time for that stuff.

My guess is that many of those who volunteer do not like to toot their own horn about it.

I am sure there are many wonderful, encouraging stories to share.

For people who are interested in some volunteer work but don't have a lot of time, Big Brothers, Big Sisters is fabulous. There are so many wonderful people here who I know would make great Bigs...not to mention that it's tons of fun! :up:

I really believe everyone should volunteer for something at least once in their lives.
I used to do the Red Shield Appeal with the Salvation Army when I was young, and then did many enjoyable hours with Barnados when I was old enough to realise how beneficial it was.
But save yourselves and avoid a career in welfare. It will only be your end - in the end.
:slant:

Yeah..i'm sure there are many here that help out. Don't be shy. We want to recognize all you great interferencers that work for the good of people. :)

or if you know of an interferencer that you think has done great work have them recognized.

Well, I feel a bit strange being the first person to post here what I'm trying to do to help make our world a better place, but since I was asked by mullen-girl and others to post here, I will.;)

First, I want to say that I really have no ego here - I don't think I'm special or great. I simply try to give back something positive to our world because I feel moved to do so in my heart and soul.

I volunteer with a local Sister Cities program that my city(Austin TX) has with Maseru, which is the capitol of Lesotho, a small country in southern Africa. My "official" title is "Co-ordinator:HIV?AIDS Projects". I have been in this position since Feb. 2004, although I have been an activist for Africa for nearly 30 years since I was a teenager.

I have always LOVED and RESPECTED AFRICA. I participated in the anti-apartheid movement in the 1980's and recently in the Jubilee debt cancellation, fair trade and Global AIDS movements. I always tell people (including the folks at DATA) that even if Bono was not a part of DATA, I would be. :up: :hug:

Hey Jamila.. you do great work and I am inspired by your commitment .you are an amazing person. God Bless You

In my volunteer position, I go around to churches, schools and community organizations to raise awareness of the challenges that Lesotho and Africa are facing, especially regarding the AIDS pandemic. In Lesotho, out of an adult population of about 1 million people, 330,000(31%) are HIV+. There are already over 73,000 AIDS orphaned children in Lesotho with the possibility of an even greater orphan catastrophe in the next few years in Lesotho.

IT IS FOR THESE CHILDREN'S FUTURE THAT I DO WHAT I DO. AND WHY I GAVE UP A BEAUTIFUL WEEKEND IN PHILLY WITH BONO! :bono: :heart: :heart: :wave:

I am not always successful in involving people in ways that they can help our Sister City/country or Africa generally, but I do NOT let that stop me. I think of all those people in Africa who NEED us to remember them and try to find new allies to help make their lives better. THAT IS WHAT KEEPS ME MOTIVATED.

Truthfully, in my seriousness and my devotion to Africa's Future, I AM VERY SIMILAR TO BONO. When one door closes to me in my organizing efforts, I simply trust God and look for another door to open. Bono has NEVER GIVEN UP in his advocacy, NO MATTER WHAT THE COST TO HIM in his professional/personal life. BONO GIVES HIS ALL TO AFRICA, and so do I.:yes: :love:

So far, I have staffed an info booth for our Sister Cities program with additional info from DATA in April at our local Marleyfest, a Reggae music festival where I also collected signatures on DATA petitions. This month, I was the featured speaker at our local Candlelight Memorial Service to remember the millions of lives lost to AIDS around the world. Next month, I will have my first opportunity to speak before a church congregation and hopefully get their youth group ACTIVELY INVOLVED in a fund-raising activity for AIDS orphaned children in Lesotho. I am REALLY excited about this!:)

I have also been an active member of the AfricanWellFund almost from its beginning in Oct. 2002. This group of wonderful, dedicated and truly concerned people for Africa's Future has done SO MUCH GOOD in our combined efforts to raise awareness and money to build as many water wells in Africa as possible. Our Bono Birthday Well campaigns have raised OVER $25,000 in less than 2 years which builds nearly 20 water wells in Uganda and Ethiopia! I encourage people to join us and I hope someone else from the AWF will post here with more specifics about the AWF.:angel:

That's enough about me - I normally don't talk about myself but I think it's important for us, as a U2 community, to share the ways that U2's music, and especially Bono, have motivated us to be forces for GOOD (BONO) in our world!:wink:
:applaud:

Back
Top Bottom