call me a republican

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
cause i don't like queen.
at all.

i've heard it all. i don't like them. i never have.

freddy creeps me out. that doesn't help the cause either, i suppose.

i don't think i've ever seen a negative thing said about queen, and that i might be a lonely fellow in my opinion.

but after just hearing another queen song, i have to admit it... i need to scream it, more like it... that i hate queen. i really, REALLY do not like queen.

i feel better already!

:happy:

they're good musicians and i know freddy was considered a fantastic stage performer (with a strong voice), but i still don't like them.

From what I've heard I like them and want to get that 3 disc Platinum collection one of these days. But I only have their Night At The Opera album and nothing else.

meh
i'm not trying to piss of fans of queen. they're respectable of course, i'm not saying they're shit.
i'm just curious to know if i'm the only one around here who really, REALLY doesn't like queen at all.

I think I've seen one or two people say as much, in the inevitable annual Freddy vs. Bono threads, but you're right, they're fairly rare.

I love Queen, but I'm trying to think of other almost universally loved bands or musicians that I don't like. Radiohead is mostly meh to me, with the exception of a few songs, but I don't think they fit the universal criteria. Same with The Doors, can't stand them or Jim Morrison, but again, the universality clause. Jeff Buckley is overhyped, IMO, his popularity is mostly due to dead rock star syndrome, where one is undeservedly raised to iconic status due to tragic death. But yeah, none of them are loved as widely as Queen.

Uh...they're pretty good. Night At The Opera is an undeniably great record, and they had some fantastic hits, but the albums were always prone to filler. :shrug:

Zoomerang96 said:
meh
i'm not trying to piss of fans of queen. they're respectable of course, i'm not saying they're shit.
i'm just curious to know if i'm the only one around here who really, REALLY doesn't like queen at all.

Oh I wasn't saying you were being disrespectful of them or anything but you just know someone's gonna roll in here and say something stupid...

I am probably more in the dislike camp I guess, I don't own any of their albums though and I suppose I haven’t really given them a good enough listen to really judge one way or the other... :shrug:

elevated_u2_fan said:
I am probably more in the dislike camp I guess, I don't own any of their albums though and I suppose I haven’t really given them a good enough listen to really judge one way or the other... :shrug:

:yes:

Freddy Mercury was an unbelievable frontman, and they wrote some catchy songs, but I think they get more credit than they deserve. But like Elfa said, I also don't own any of their albums so I don't really know the band past their biggest songs.

They WERE awesome live, though.

VintagePunk said:
Jeff Buckley is overhyped, IMO, his popularity is mostly due to dead rock star syndrome, where one is undeservedly raised to iconic status due to tragic death.

This one I take a little bit of exception to. It's a little nuts to claim "icon" status for JB, but the man was easily one of the best songwriters of the 90's. Grace is an incredible album.

One who I think got the kind of treatment you're describing is Kurt Cobain. He was great, but Pearl Jam were always more popular and considered the "better" band, until Kurt decided to introduce his chin to the business end of a shotgun. I think the way he went out propelled him into mythical status and now people think he was some kind of musical god, which isn't true at all.

DaveC said:

This one I take a little bit of exception to. It's a little nuts to claim "icon" status for JB, but the man was easily one of the best songwriters of the 90's. Grace is an incredible album.

Difference of opinion, I don't see it that way. :shrug:
One who I think got the kind of treatment you're describing is Kurt Cobain. He was great, but Pearl Jam were always more popular and considered the "better" band, until Kurt decided to introduce his chin to the business end of a shotgun. I think the way he went out propelled him into mythical status and now people think he was some kind of musical god, which isn't true at all.
I beg to differ, here. Pearl Jam may have been more critically acclaimed in some circles at the time, but as far as popularity goes, Nirvana were huge, way before Cobain shot himself, overtaking PJ in popularity for several years. I clearly remember this, because back in the day, I was a much bigger PJ fan than Nirvana, and it used to piss me off. That said, I do agree that the Cobain mystique has continued, and maybe even increased a bit over the years, but he/they were already huge at the time of his death. I explicitly remember people calling into an area rock station the day he died, and they were putting calls on the air. People were expressing stunned disbelief, and some were actually bawling about the greatness that was lost. I can remember thinking "damn, what an overreaction, it's more a cautionary tale of how mood disorders and drugs don't mix."

DaveC said:

Not sure I agree. I like Pearl Jam, but Nirvana were always a more interesting band, with a more interesting frontman and songwriter. Their music had more of a creative feel to it. Pearl Jam are technically better, and are a great rock band (I'm a fan), but doesn't generate the same kind of interest to me. Nirvana always sounded kind of untrained... They could create simple 3 chord progressions that actually sounded off the wall, but at the same time very catchy.

Kurt also gets his feelings across on record better than most other frontmen I can think of.

I love Freddie's voice, but I'm sort of in the middle with Queen. I've liked some of their stuff, other ... meh. I've probably not listened to enough to have a full opinion on them.

I don't find Freddie all that weird, I pretty much understand everything he did and where he was coming from. The only thing that was weird was his attire, to me.

Queen = :| to me, I know they have mad talent, I just think their songs are ridiculous. Freddie was a great singer but a horrible writer.

My brothers went through a stage where they played "Bicycle Race" for about a month.

Holy fucking shit. :banghead:

VintagePunk said:
Jeff Buckley is overhyped, IMO, his popularity is mostly due to dead rock star syndrome, where one is undeservedly raised to iconic status due to tragic death.

I totally disagree. He didn't just become popular after he died. He was huge in NYC before Grace was even released. I know because I was there and saw him perform many times in tiny clubs. The shows were wild, the adoration and admiration enormous. It's true that his death brought more attention to his work in the mainstream, but people loved and adored him, and had very high expectations of his future work, long before he died. He was a beautiful, talented, special person, and everyone who saw him back then knew it. Doesn't mean you're "wrong" if you don't like his music, of course, it's just an opinion, but unfortunately the records don't even really do justice to his huge talent but that's all we have.

And I love Queen, too.

Queen are the kind of band that you either love or hate. I can see how Freddie's mannerisms might have turned people off. They were a very unique band, though. No-one, I repeat, no-one sounded like them.

But as I said, you either love them or hate them. I'm not going to try to persuade you to see the light. ;)

DaveC said:

I also don't own any of their albums so I don't really know the band past their biggest songs.

Aw, go on, Dave, you know you can never judge a band based on their hits! :( Could you imagine if people did that for U2? Pink Floyd? Singles don't mean anything.

You should check out A Night At The Opera. It's one of the most important rock albums ever written, IMO. There are lots of gems on there that you won't ever hear on the radio or see on a Greatest Hits compilation. Songs like Love Of My Life, The Prophet's Song, '39, etc. Queen II is also brilliant, unique as hell. White Queen (As It Began), From Father To Son, and The March Of The Black Queen are some of my all-time favourites.

VintagePunk said:

My people! :love:

Undeniably talented, yes. VERY talented. But overhyped due to death.

GibsonGirl said:
Queen are the kind of band that you either love or hate. I can see how Freddie's mannerisms might have turned people off. They were a very unique band, though. No-one, I repeat, no-one sounded like them.

But as I said, you either love them or hate them. I'm not going to try to persuade you to see the light. ;)

I'm not going to try, either.

GibsonGirl said:

Aw, go on, Dave, you know you can never judge a band based on their hits! :( Could you imagine if people did that for U2? Pink Floyd? Singles don't mean anything.

Uh...U2's singles are an excellent body of work...I Will Follow, SBS, NYD, Pride, TUF(title track), WOWY, Still Haven't Found, Streets, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, AIWIY, The Fly, MW, One, EBTTRT, Horses, Numb, Lemon, Stay, HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, Discotheque, SATS, LNOE, Please, IGWSHA/Mofo, Sweetest Thing, BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Vertigo, Sometimes, ABOY, OOTS.

Pink Floyd, you're right.

namkcuR said:

Uh...U2's singles are an excellent body of work...I Will Follow, SBS, NYD, Pride, TUF(title track), WOWY, Still Haven't Found, Streets, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, AIWIY, The Fly, MW, One, EBTTRT, Horses, Numb, Lemon, Stay, HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, Discotheque, SATS, LNOE, Please, IGWSHA/Mofo, Sweetest Thing, BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Vertigo, Sometimes, ABOY, OOTS.

Pink Floyd, you're right.

Uh...it's subjective. A lot of my favourite U2 songs were never singles. And I think a lot of them are actually better.

You know, Queen always used to bug the hell out of me, and I worked at a store where we often had the classic rock station on, and they would play the standard 6-7 well-known Queen songs. Usually in a situation like that I just get more and more irritated, but for some reason I found myself coming around, and I really like those songs when I hear them.

I still despise Bohemian Rhapsody, though, and if I never hear it again it will be too soon.

One of these days I'll have to check out one of the proper albums, as I don't buy Greatest Hits collections on principle.

namkcuR said:

For the most part, U2's singles are a poor representation of them. For one, they are a live band which very rarely releases live albums (which dumbfounds me to no ened). Also, some of their best songs (Until the End of the World, Kite, Gone, Zooropa, Heartland, Bad - just to name a few) were never released as singles, while some of their worst (ABOY, Elevation, Stuck in a Moment, Numb) have been.

I mean, there are plenty of good songs there, but I just think they generally have a much better catalogue than that list gives them credit for.

The fact that they have release a grand total of 1.5 live albums (UABRS and half of Rattle and Hum) not only dumbfounds me, but actually saddens me. The lack of availability of their live stuff to the more common fan is a crying shame.

For this reason, I never go by singles when analyzing a band.

Back
Top Bottom