call me a republican - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:53 PM
call me a republican

cause i don't like queen.
at all.

i've heard it all. i don't like them. i never have.

freddy creeps me out. that doesn't help the cause either, i suppose.

i don't think i've ever seen a negative thing said about queen, and that i might be a lonely fellow in my opinion.

but after just hearing another queen song, i have to admit it... i need to scream it, more like it... that i hate queen. i really, REALLY do not like queen.

i feel better already!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 AM

Old 11-23-2007, 11:14 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

they're good musicians and i know freddy was considered a fantastic stage performer (with a strong voice), but i still don't like them.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:53 AM
From what I've heard I like them and want to get that 3 disc Platinum collection one of these days. But I only have their Night At The Opera album and nothing else.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:53 PM
the fallout from this is gonna be awesome...

I'm not a fan of them either btw...
Old 11-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

meh
i'm not trying to piss of fans of queen. they're respectable of course, i'm not saying they're shit.
i'm just curious to know if i'm the only one around here who really, REALLY doesn't like queen at all.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:50 AM   #7
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
freddy creeps me out.
I feel the exact same way.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

I think I've seen one or two people say as much, in the inevitable annual Freddy vs. Bono threads, but you're right, they're fairly rare.

I love Queen, but I'm trying to think of other almost universally loved bands or musicians that I don't like. Radiohead is mostly meh to me, with the exception of a few songs, but I don't think they fit the universal criteria. Same with The Doors, can't stand them or Jim Morrison, but again, the universality clause. Jeff Buckley is overhyped, IMO, his popularity is mostly due to dead rock star syndrome, where one is undeservedly raised to iconic status due to tragic death. But yeah, none of them are loved as widely as Queen.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #9
The Male

Local Time: 02:53 PM
Uh...they're pretty good. Night At The Opera is an undeniably great record, and they had some fantastic hits, but the albums were always prone to filler.

Now.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:06 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96
meh
i'm not trying to piss of fans of queen. they're respectable of course, i'm not saying they're shit.
i'm just curious to know if i'm the only one around here who really, REALLY doesn't like queen at all.
Oh I wasn't saying you were being disrespectful of them or anything but you just know someone's gonna roll in here and say something stupid...

I am probably more in the dislike camp I guess, I don't own any of their albums though and I suppose I haven’t really given them a good enough listen to really judge one way or the other...
Old 11-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #11
The Fly

Local Time: 10:53 PM
I like this thread.

Queen = CheezeWhiz x 40
Old 11-23-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
I am probably more in the dislike camp I guess, I don't own any of their albums though and I suppose I haven’t really given them a good enough listen to really judge one way or the other...

Freddy Mercury was an unbelievable frontman, and they wrote some catchy songs, but I think they get more credit than they deserve. But like Elfa said, I also don't own any of their albums so I don't really know the band past their biggest songs.

They WERE awesome live, though.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:54 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
Jeff Buckley is overhyped, IMO, his popularity is mostly due to dead rock star syndrome, where one is undeservedly raised to iconic status due to tragic death.
This one I take a little bit of exception to. It's a little nuts to claim "icon" status for JB, but the man was easily one of the best songwriters of the 90's. Grace is an incredible album.

One who I think got the kind of treatment you're describing is Kurt Cobain. He was great, but Pearl Jam were always more popular and considered the "better" band, until Kurt decided to introduce his chin to the business end of a shotgun. I think the way he went out propelled him into mythical status and now people think he was some kind of musical god, which isn't true at all.
Old 11-23-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

This one I take a little bit of exception to. It's a little nuts to claim "icon" status for JB, but the man was easily one of the best songwriters of the 90's. Grace is an incredible album.

Difference of opinion, I don't see it that way.
Quote:
One who I think got the kind of treatment you're describing is Kurt Cobain. He was great, but Pearl Jam were always more popular and considered the "better" band, until Kurt decided to introduce his chin to the business end of a shotgun. I think the way he went out propelled him into mythical status and now people think he was some kind of musical god, which isn't true at all.
I beg to differ, here. Pearl Jam may have been more critically acclaimed in some circles at the time, but as far as popularity goes, Nirvana were huge, way before Cobain shot himself, overtaking PJ in popularity for several years. I clearly remember this, because back in the day, I was a much bigger PJ fan than Nirvana, and it used to piss me off. That said, I do agree that the Cobain mystique has continued, and maybe even increased a bit over the years, but he/they were already huge at the time of his death. I explicitly remember people calling into an area rock station the day he died, and they were putting calls on the air. People were expressing stunned disbelief, and some were actually bawling about the greatness that was lost. I can remember thinking "damn, what an overreaction, it's more a cautionary tale of how mood disorders and drugs don't mix."
Old 11-23-2007, 01:07 PM   #15
The Fly

Local Time: 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Not sure I agree. I like Pearl Jam, but Nirvana were always a more interesting band, with a more interesting frontman and songwriter. Their music had more of a creative feel to it. Pearl Jam are technically better, and are a great rock band (I'm a fan), but doesn't generate the same kind of interest to me. Nirvana always sounded kind of untrained... They could create simple 3 chord progressions that actually sounded off the wall, but at the same time very catchy.

Kurt also gets his feelings across on record better than most other frontmen I can think of.