call me a republican

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GibsonGirl said:

Uh...it's subjective. A lot of my favourite U2 songs were never singles. And I think a lot of them are actually better.

way to mock namkcuR in your response. it makes your argument sooooo much stronger!

mikal said:

way to mock namkcuR in your response. it makes your argument sooooo much stronger!

What the fuck? I didn't mock him. I simply disagreed with him.

mikal said:

I started my sentence off with the same word he used. Big bloody deal. I wasn't attempting to ridicule him by doing so. Woke up on the wrong side of bed today, did you?

phillyfan26 said:

For the most part, U2's singles are a poor representation of them. For one, they are a live band which very rarely releases live albums (which dumbfounds me to no ened). Also, some of their best songs (Until the End of the World, Kite, Gone, Zooropa, Heartland, Bad - just to name a few) were never released as singles, while some of their worst (ABOY, Elevation, Stuck in a Moment, Numb) have been.

I mean, there are plenty of good songs there, but I just think they generally have a much better catalogue than that list gives them credit for.

The fact that they have release a grand total of 1.5 live albums (UABRS and half of Rattle and Hum) not only dumbfounds me, but actually saddens me. The lack of availability of their live stuff to the more common fan is a crying shame.

For this reason, I never go by singles when analyzing a band.

I agree completely. :up:

joyfulgirl said:

I totally disagree. He didn't just become popular after he died. He was huge in NYC before Grace was even released. I know because I was there and saw him perform many times in tiny clubs. The shows were wild, the adoration and admiration enormous. It's true that his death brought more attention to his work in the mainstream, but people loved and adored him, and had very high expectations of his future work, long before he died. He was a beautiful, talented, special person, and everyone who saw him back then knew it. Doesn't mean you're "wrong" if you don't like his music, of course, it's just an opinion, but unfortunately the records don't even really do justice to his huge talent but that's all we have.

And I love Queen, too.

I understand what you're saying, and while I'm sure you don't agree with me, a few of the things you've said in here actually support my point, that he was huge in NYC, a major center, but still, a limited audience, and that his death brought attention to his work into the mainstream - attention that wasn't there till he died.

Still, like you said, the whole thing is a matter of opinion, and that was my point, that it's only my opinion, one that the vast majority of people around here wouldn't agree with. :)

corianderstem said:

My people! :love:

Undeniably talented, yes. VERY talented. But overhyped due to death.

Cori, I thought I was the only one. It's like finding long-lost family. :sniff:

lazarus said:
You know, Queen always used to bug the hell out of me, and I worked at a store where we often had the classic rock station on, and they would play the standard 6-7 well-known Queen songs. Usually in a situation like that I just get more and more irritated, but for some reason I found myself coming around, and I really like those songs when I hear them.

I still despise Bohemian Rhapsody, though, and if I never hear it again it will be too soon.

Although a huge Queen fan, I feel about the same way with their core hits, they've been so overplayed over the years that I can barely listen to them. I don't dislike them, I'm just very, very tired of them. While Gibson Girl loves A Night at the Opera, my favourite Queen album is A Day at the Races. I'd definitely recommend that one, it's a sonic treat, and still one of my favourite albums of all time.

ETA -

pf26, re: Freddie's costumes - you have to keep in mind that the band came out of the early 70's era of androgyny and wacky dress. Think early 70's Bowie and Elton John. In context, it seems much less strange.

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:

Although a huge Queen fan, I feel about the same way with their core hits, they've been so overplayed over the years that I can barely listen to them. I don't dislike them, I'm just very, very tired of them. While Gibson Girl loves A Night at the Opera, my favourite Queen album is A Day at the Races. I'd definitely recommend that one, it's a sonic treat, and still one of my favourite albums of all time.

A Day At The Races is wonderful too. :up: I find it sometimes suffers a bit as a cohesive whole, but most of the individual songs are perfect. The Millionaire Waltz might actually be my favourite Queen song. The arrangement is so strange, just a treat to listen to. Once it starts getting into the "come back to me" bit, I get completely sucked in. And then there's You Take My Breath Away. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Freddie's singing on that one is otherwordly. Speaking of Freddie...it has been exactly sixteen years since he died. :sigh:

Ha, I should just start an appreciation post and get out of Zoomerang's thread. :wink:

GibsonGirl said:

A Day At The Races is wonderful too. :up: I find it sometimes suffers a bit as a cohesive whole, but most of the individual songs are perfect. The Millionaire Waltz might actually be my favourite Queen song. The arrangement is so strange, just a treat to listen to. Once it starts getting into the "come back to me" bit, I get completely sucked in. And then there's You Take My Breath Away. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Freddie's singing on that one is otherwordly. Speaking of Freddie...it has been exactly sixteen years since he died. :sigh:

Ha, I should just start an appreciation post and get out of Zoomerang's thread. :wink:

I think one of the reasons that album my favourite is because it's the first Queen album I ever got, when I was a kid. I played it to death over the years, and although vinyl, it's still playable. I pretty much love every song, I don't think there's a weak one on the entire album. Even Drowse, which highlights Freddie's generosity as a performer, in allowing others to sing lead when he felt it suited the song. I also agree with you about Millionaire Waltz. Perfection. :drool:

I enjoy what I know of Queen, and only recently heard my first non-greatest hits Queen album ("A Night At the Opera"), and while I love the songs I love and appreciate them as a band, I'm not overcome with a dying need to check out more of their albums.

Which isn't to say that I never will, but they're not at the top of my list.

GibsonGirl said:
The Millionaire Waltz might actually be my favourite Queen song. The arrangement is so strange, just a treat to listen to. Once it starts getting into the "come back to me" bit, I get completely sucked in. And then there's You Take My Breath Away. It's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Freddie's singing on that one is otherwordly. Speaking of Freddie...it has been exactly sixteen years since he died. :sigh:

I didn't realize it's been 16 years...jeez. I vividly recall when I heard the news. I was going through a Tim Horton's drive-through with my mom, and it came on the radio. I remember it so well, because shortly after that, we went to a store with those tabloid magazines next to the checkout...Freddie's gaunt image was featured on one of the covers--captured as he was walking in a private moment. I was so outraged that I put some other magazines in front of it on the stand.

He definitely lives on in the music..."otherworldly" is such a great way to describe his voice at times. Also pretty great (and underrated) on the piano...The Millionaire Waltz intro is so playful, and then gets really weird, like you said. My Melancholy Blues is another great piano one...I always think of leaves and Fall when I hear it. Seriously, though...Queen are the epitome of range, and Freddie is the very definition of a 'performer'. He gave everything, and then some...he was constantly reaching for something more...it was palpable.

I actually got overcome when I saw this at the end of a Queen documentary a few months back. :shh: I'd heard the song, but had never seen the video, which was his last. His expression at the 50 second mark pretty much sums up his greatness: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOJPvxgkvn8

Queen are the best band ever.

My Dad's a Republican. And he enjoys Queen's music.

He also enjoys Elton John.

Was the Republican dig a gay thing?

Last edited:
Zoomerang96 said:
i don't think i've ever seen a negative thing said about queen, and that i might be a lonely fellow in my opinion.

Also not a fan of Queen. I don't hate them but they never did much for me and I prefer not to hear them.

I am always surprised at how revered they are on this board because I've never read/heard that kind of adoration for them elsewhere. Several people I know despise them and most of the rest consider them merely also-rans.

MrBrau1 said:
Queen are the best band ever.

My Dad's a Republican. And he enjoys Queen's music.

He also enjoys Elton John.

Was the Republican dig a gay thing?

yes, mr. brau. except i'm extremely homophobic and get on terribly with various members of the homosexual community, such as melon.

so as such, this wasn't a thinly veiled attack, but more of a full-scale assault.

with that said, it's also POSSIBLE that i titled this thread as such because... Queen refers to a monarchy, and i don't like Queen. how many republics have a constitutional monarchy?

just curious.

...right.

Last edited:
yertle-the-turtle said:
'Crazy Little Thing Called Love' is a great song.

I used to think that was an Elvis song. They out-Elvised Elvis on that one.

My next thread is going to be called "I hate broccoli, anyone else?"

angelordevil said:
My next thread is going to be called "I hate broccoli, anyone else?"

You hate broccoli? :sad:

Broccoli is the best food ever. I think it's just because you don't understand broccoli or haven't eaten it cooked in every possible way. If you would just give it a chance you would love broccoli. :yes:

:wink:

Last edited:
I couldn't point you to anything I particularly dislike about Queen, but they certainly don't do *it* for me, not even close.

Back
Top Bottom