call me a republican - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:26 PM
I love Freddie's voice, but I'm sort of in the middle with Queen. I've liked some of their stuff, other ... meh. I've probably not listened to enough to have a full opinion on them.

I don't find Freddie all that weird, I pretty much understand everything he did and where he was coming from. The only thing that was weird was his attire, to me.

Old 11-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:26 PM
Queen = to me, I know they have mad talent, I just think their songs are ridiculous. Freddie was a great singer but a horrible writer.

Old 11-23-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

perhaps i'm not alone afterall...
excellent.
Old 11-23-2007, 05:07 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

My brothers went through a stage where they played "Bicycle Race" for about a month.

Holy fucking shit.
Old 11-23-2007, 06:02 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
Jeff Buckley is overhyped, IMO, his popularity is mostly due to dead rock star syndrome, where one is undeservedly raised to iconic status due to tragic death.
I totally disagree. He didn't just become popular after he died. He was huge in NYC before Grace was even released. I know because I was there and saw him perform many times in tiny clubs. The shows were wild, the adoration and admiration enormous. It's true that his death brought more attention to his work in the mainstream, but people loved and adored him, and had very high expectations of his future work, long before he died. He was a beautiful, talented, special person, and everyone who saw him back then knew it. Doesn't mean you're "wrong" if you don't like his music, of course, it's just an opinion, but unfortunately the records don't even really do justice to his huge talent but that's all we have.

And I love Queen, too.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:34 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:26 PM
Queen are the kind of band that you either love or hate. I can see how Freddie's mannerisms might have turned people off. They were a very unique band, though. No-one, I repeat, no-one sounded like them.

But as I said, you either love them or hate them. I'm not going to try to persuade you to see the light.
Old 11-23-2007, 08:48 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

I also don't own any of their albums so I don't really know the band past their biggest songs.
Aw, go on, Dave, you know you can never judge a band based on their hits! Could you imagine if people did that for U2? Pink Floyd? Singles don't mean anything.

You should check out A Night At The Opera. It's one of the most important rock albums ever written, IMO. There are lots of gems on there that you won't ever hear on the radio or see on a Greatest Hits compilation. Songs like Love Of My Life, The Prophet's Song, '39, etc. Queen II is also brilliant, unique as hell. White Queen (As It Began), From Father To Son, and The March Of The Black Queen are some of my all-time favourites.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk
Jeff Buckley is overhyped, IMO, his popularity is mostly due to dead rock star syndrome, where one is undeservedly raised to iconic status due to tragic death.
My people!

Undeniably talented, yes. VERY talented. But overhyped due to death.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:34 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl
Queen are the kind of band that you either love or hate. I can see how Freddie's mannerisms might have turned people off. They were a very unique band, though. No-one, I repeat, no-one sounded like them.

But as I said, you either love them or hate them. I'm not going to try to persuade you to see the light.
I'm not going to try, either.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:59 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by GibsonGirl

Aw, go on, Dave, you know you can never judge a band based on their hits! Could you imagine if people did that for U2? Pink Floyd? Singles don't mean anything.
Uh...U2's singles are an excellent body of work...I Will Follow, SBS, NYD, Pride, TUF(title track), WOWY, Still Haven't Found, Streets, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, AIWIY, The Fly, MW, One, EBTTRT, Horses, Numb, Lemon, Stay, HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, Discotheque, SATS, LNOE, Please, IGWSHA/Mofo, Sweetest Thing, BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Vertigo, Sometimes, ABOY, OOTS.

Pink Floyd, you're right.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR

Uh...U2's singles are an excellent body of work...I Will Follow, SBS, NYD, Pride, TUF(title track), WOWY, Still Haven't Found, Streets, Desire, Angel Of Harlem, AIWIY, The Fly, MW, One, EBTTRT, Horses, Numb, Lemon, Stay, HMTMKMKM, Miss Sarajevo, Discotheque, SATS, LNOE, Please, IGWSHA/Mofo, Sweetest Thing, BD, Stuck, Elevation, Walk On, Vertigo, Sometimes, ABOY, OOTS.

Pink Floyd, you're right.
Uh...it's subjective. A lot of my favourite U2 songs were never singles. And I think a lot of them are actually better.
Old 11-24-2007, 09:16 AM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:56 AM
Quote:
i don't think i've ever seen a negative thing said about queen, and that i might be a lonely fellow in my opinion.
I never got into them. Neither did Robert Smith.

And a cast of billions more!
Old 11-24-2007, 02:08 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:26 AM
You know, Queen always used to bug the hell out of me, and I worked at a store where we often had the classic rock station on, and they would play the standard 6-7 well-known Queen songs. Usually in a situation like that I just get more and more irritated, but for some reason I found myself coming around, and I really like those songs when I hear them.

I still despise Bohemian Rhapsody, though, and if I never hear it again it will be too soon.

One of these days I'll have to check out one of the proper albums, as I don't buy Greatest Hits collections on principle.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:14 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
For the most part, U2's singles are a poor representation of them. For one, they are a live band which very rarely releases live albums (which dumbfounds me to no ened). Also, some of their best songs (Until the End of the World, Kite, Gone, Zooropa, Heartland, Bad - just to name a few) were never released as singles, while some of their worst (ABOY, Elevation, Stuck in a Moment, Numb) have been.

I mean, there are plenty of good songs there, but I just think they generally have a much better catalogue than that list gives them credit for.

The fact that they have release a grand total of 1.5 live albums (UABRS and half of Rattle and Hum) not only dumbfounds me, but actually saddens me. The lack of availability of their live stuff to the more common fan is a crying shame.

For this reason, I never go by singles when analyzing a band.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:15 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

i completely agree with deathbear. i absolutely can't stand queen. they bore me.