Calista Flockhart admits eating disorder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonosBaby12

ONE love, blood, life
Flockhart Admits Eating Disorder

Former "Ally McBeal" star Calista Flockhart has admitted she suffered from anorexia while filming the hit law firm TV comedy.

After years of claiming her skinny figure was due to being "small-boned" the actress has finally revealed grueling work schedules and the stress of finishing the show, which was axed in 2002, made her stop wanting to eat.

At one point her weight plummeted to under 99 pounds.

Flockhart says, "At the time of all that, I was seriously stressed. I was working 15 hour days on the set and then I was dealing with the end of the show, which was basically my life.

"I started under-eating, over-exercising, pushing myself too hard and brutalizing my immune system. I guess I just didn't find time to eat.

"I am much more healthy these days."

Also, the actress has denied rumors she and boyfriend Harrison Ford plan to marry, because they are perfectly happy as they are.

The 41-year-old star claims she is indifferent to marriage and is happy to continue living with the 63-year-old two-time divorcee and caring for her son, Liam, 5.

She says, "We really haven't discussed it. He's had two long marriages before.

"But we're just very happy and content with the way things are. To be honest I can go either way."

Im not surprised by this news as I always suspected that she had a problem. It's a shame that anyone would have to go through something like this.

Yeah, it isn't surprising. I am fed up of hearing actresses say they are small boned or they eat normally when they are quite clearly underweight. Very few people are naturally that skinny and eat normally.

Lets hope she is eating more healthily like she claims.

Last edited:
This is not news. Everyone but Calista knew this! And I am also sick and tired of hearing these stories of celebrities speaking of their eating and dieting habits. :mad:

Tilli said:
. I am fed up of hearing actresses say they are smalled boned or they eat normally when they are quite clearly underweight

I know what you mean and I agree in that it promotes the idea that being that skinny is normal/natural in some way, but on the flip side denial is a huge part of that disorder-even years later.

I hope Calista is in a better place now, good for her

I wonder what goes through their minds....when they finally reach this point where they own up to and admit to the fact they have a problem or disorder and they reach for help. It hits the media and they are bound to field questions and go through the battery of articles good and bad. But I wonder if they honestly feel better for having realized and admitted to a problem, and if they may have saved a fan or someone else by acting on their own realizations? (does that make sense?)

In response to the previous two posts, I agree w/ MrsSpringsteen that it's a good thing for her to own up to her problem and come to terms with it, even publicly. Carek, are you wondering whether media exposure in cases like this might be bad because all it does is perpetuate images of severly thin people and might indicrectly do harm? If so, I think that it could be true, but that's the media's problem. Celebs with drinking and drug problems frequently come forward to admit their problems to the public and move towards rehab. Much of the psychology behind true eating disorders is the same as any substance addiction. When someone like Jack Osborne went through his ordeal, I can only imagine it would make a positive impact but giving others the motivation and example to do the same thing. I would assume this to be the same for celebs with eating disorders. In reality, I don't think it actually happens much because the real cases of eating disorders (as opposed to fad dieting, disordered eating, etc) most often require some type of intervention, as do those with drug and alcohol addictions.

:shocked:

I never would have guessed!

Now I don't know what to believe anymore....what next, you're going to tell me the tooth fairy isn't real? :sad:

Back
Top Bottom