"Californication" Appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

namkcuR

ONE love, blood, life
780fb340dca01902c7f72010.L.jpg

I rhymed :wink:

I've really been on a "Californication" kick lately. It's an amazing record....it saved the Chilis' career(they were damn near 'presumed dead' territory in 97/98). It was Frusciante's big comeback with the band. It was the whole band's 'we've finally kicked drugs for good' record. And does anyone remember how huge this record was in 1999 and 2000 when it was new? The singles were EVERYWHERE. And the videos for this record were OFF THE HOOK. The video for the title track actually made the Chilis into a video game, the video for 'Otherside' was all wire-frame-y, and the video for 'Scar Tissue' had them riding a beaten up convertible through the desert while wearing all sorts of bandages and scars and what not.

'Otherside' is incredible. Best song on the record bar none. For all the talk about how the Chilis have gone too pop, this song is harder than anything on 'By The Way' and a lot of the songs on 'Stadium Arcadium'.

'Scar Tissue' is infectious. The melodies and harmonies playing off each other in the last few choruses are :drool: and the guitar solos have a real 'out in the desert' quality to them, and that's a good thing.

'Around The World' is about as energetic an album opener as you're gonna find, and the chorus is the kind that you don't get out of your head.

'Californication?' is beautiful, lush, epic, rocking, impossible not to sing along to, and one of Keidis's best lyrics ever.

'Road Trippin'' is the most heart-breakingly gorgeous song they've ever written.

'Easily', 'Savior', and 'This Velvet Glove', and 'Porcelan' are hidden gems.

'Parallel Universe' is just flat ROCK.

'Get On Top', 'Right On Time', and 'Purple Stain' are trademark Chilis funk.

There are only 1 or 2 less-than-stellar tracks here.

This is their second best record, imo - second only to the mighty BloodSugarSexMagik.

Last edited:
Scar Tissue>>>>>Otherside imo

I loved Scar Tissue ever since i saw the video. The laid back melodies and the short guitar solo's are just great. Kind of didn't really sound like anything on the radio at the time.

Flea's bass to Around The World is :drool:

My personal favorite RHCP album. I hope they draw heavily from it when I see them tomorrow night. :drool:

I loved the album, but I'm not sure it "saved" their career. Revitalized it maybe, but not saved it. When John returned to the band everyone was extremely happy and it shows in the music.

The album who destroyed the Chili Peppers. They were never the same since. That wicked, original funky sound was forever gone. In my humble opinion.

I don't have this one, but I do have a few others, and one best of which includes some tracks from this CD.

:love: Parallel Universe :love:

I generally don't want videos, so I know nothing of their videos (or U2's for the most part) :reject: And yes, I did see the one for 'Dani California' :wink:

the last chili peppers album that i really love... the bridge between the funky early chili's and the mellowed out ballad chili's of stadium arcadium... just enough of both to make a realy outstanding record.

my main issue with stadium arcadium, even though i like it more now than i did when it first came out, is that it's too much of the same thing... californication walked the tightrope between the two peppers' styles briliantly.

Back
Top Bottom