Cable vs. Satellite, DSL vs Cable Modem...... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2003, 12:07 AM   #1
Offishul Kitteh Doctor
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:13 AM
Cable vs. Satellite, DSL vs Cable Modem......

Howdy ya'll.......

Seriously considering getting either cable or a satellite (ie DirecTV or Dish Network). Also reallyreallyreally tired of my slow dial-up for internet.

I'm trying to keep costs down, just wondering what some of you use and/or things above that you were sorry you choose, have had problems with, really are glad you got, etc.

Also, I'm not really sure what all the options are for a faster internet connection than dial-up, can any techies advise?

Thanks

Old 01-02-2003, 01:05 AM   #2
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 11:13 PM
I had cable for high speed internet for a long time but it gave me nothing but problems. I have since switched to pac bell dsl and I absolutely love it. I have never had a problem with it. It costs like $50 a month which is steep but I could never live with dial up.

Old 01-02-2003, 01:08 AM   #3
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 01:13 AM
i would personally recommend cable over dsl in terms of internet connections.

as for cable versus satellite, i've never had satellite, so i don't think i'd be a fair judge on that.

howevah, if you did go with cable internet, and you can get road runner in your area, you get a slight discount if you have time warner cable as well. it's only like $5-10 a month, but that adds up.

btw, if you have multiple computers, don't even listen to their spiel about networking. you can do that yourself (or have someone do it for you, but it's easy and legal, it's not like splitting cable or something) and get all the features and save yourself an extra $10 a month.
Old 01-02-2003, 01:08 AM   #4
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:13 AM

We've had our cable modem for awhile, and it works wonderifficly! We still have a dial-up on the other system, and it is soooo slow... We are going to look into networking, methinks!

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 01-02-2003, 01:22 AM   #5
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Big Grin

networking isn't that expensive at all. all the costs are upfront. a short trip to best buy or any electronics store will have everything you need. you just need a cable router and some cables, one for each computer and one for the router (which should be included). i had our computers up and running in like thirty minutes.
Old 01-02-2003, 02:28 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Cable modem is awesome, but expensive. I can't imagine going back to dialup after experiencing cable. DSL was ok when I first had it, but for me, it wasn't as great as cable. I can't stress it enough how much I love cable. It is worth it
Old 01-02-2003, 02:53 AM   #7
New Yorker

Cable vs. DSL: You're going to get conflicting answers, depending on who you talk to, and most of the debate centers around "shared bandwith."

DSL providers argue that cable has a bigger potential downside because, and I took this quote directly from a DSL provider's website, "While cable modems may have greater theoretical downstream (from the Internet to the home) bandwidth capabilities, that bandwidth is shared among all users in a neighborhood, and will therefore vary, perhaps dramatically, as more users in a neighborhood get online at the same time."

So they're saying your connection is going to slow down as more people get online.

It gets confusing though because cable proponents will tell you that a DSL connection can theoretically be subject to the same "shared bandwith" problem/slowdown.

My feeling is that the ideal way to guage which would be better for you would be to talk to people in your area who have cable or DSL and ask them how pleased they are with their connection. However, that's kind of a hassle and might not be practical for you.

As for cost, it depends on where you live as to whether cable or DSL is more expensive.

Anyhoo, I had the same DSL service that Sicy mentioned and I really liked mine as well. I dropped it when I moved but I may pick it up again.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:22 AM   #8
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Based on my personal experience I will never recommend cable. However, it could just be my personal experience.

Other people in my apartment building had trouble as well. The cable would go out so often that it was getting to the point where I had to have dial up as a back up. The company came out numerous times to check things out but never had a straight answer for me. Eventually they came to the conclusion that maybe the cable wiring in the building ( under the building/places they couldnt get to ) was old and causing problems in the lines. It was also extremely slow at times, driving me friggin mad.

DSL has been a dream come true for me. If you have a house, I'm sure you'll have no problem with cable.. but if you live in an apartment building I wouldnt recommend it because the cable company has no control over the original cable lines that are installed.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:33 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
talk to people in your area who have cable or DSL and ask them how pleased they are with their connection.
I think if you can do this it would be a good idea.

As for me I have have Cable modem and I have never had any problems. I have had it in an apt and home.

Soooo I guess my thoughts would be cable and cable.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:28 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I'll echo Sicy's recommendation. I started with cable, but found there were too many problems over time. Most cable providers do not include provision of internet access as a core competency.

I use SBC DSL (Pacbell here on the west coast). It has been an absolute dream.
Old 01-02-2003, 12:41 PM   #11
Refugee

directv is
dish is ok too, but I would recommend directv
Old 01-02-2003, 02:34 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2er
directv is
dish is ok too, but I would recommend directv
I believe DirecTV is out of the ISP business now.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:19 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:13 AM
I have a cable modem and haven't had any problems with it (other than that one of the cables was lose when they installed it, so I had to discover that and fix it myself or pay $200 for them to come out and look at it ). I don't know much about DSL, though.
Old 01-02-2003, 03:34 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I like my rusty old 56.6K thank you very much...
Old 01-02-2003, 08:33 PM   #15
Refugee

I DSL!!!