cable vs. dsl? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2002, 03:33 AM   #16
Babyface

Local Time: 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
which is bettah?
i have cable at the moment, but i'll be moving out of the house soon, and i'll need to get my own isp and stuff. i can't stand dial up, and all i've ever had was 56k dial up and cable, so i don't know dsl, nor do i know anyone here who has it.
anyone here ever had dsl or currently does? they're both the same price so cost isn't the thing...i want to know which one is faster, more reliable, etc. lol

heeeelp!

Cable is faster and more reliabe. You can take that to the bank.

Old 01-29-2002, 03:45 AM   #17
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
DSL can be faster, because you're not sharing a connection with your neighbors, as you are with a cable modem. However DSL suffers from a few major drawbacks.

First, it's hard to get. You have to be within a few thousand feet of the local telephone exchange.

Second, the service can suck. The installation people are always saying they will be over "Real soon now", and it can go down for days at a time, after it is installed due to crappy providers.

If you can overcome these hurdles, DSL can be much better than Cable, but you really need to do some checking around first before you take the plunge. See how other customers in your area are being treated and how their experience has been.

Broadband provdiers in the U.S have had problems with spending too much to build the infastructure without actually learning how to deal with the flood of customers they have welcomed.

Many people are giving up on broadband alltogether because of the shite service they have to endure. Check out this article for more on broadband defectors
That's not always true. I have cable (Cox@home) and it is quite a bit faster. Yes you are sharing bandwidth, but the bandwidth is so large it doesn't matter. I AVERAGE 400 Kilobytes per second which is 3.2 Megabits per second. I switched to DSL for one day when I realised DSL was measuring there bandwidth in bits not bytes (Aprox 8 bits = 1 byte). I was averaging 1.5 Megabits with DSL whic is only 187.5 KB/s, which is far less than the 400KB/s I get with CABLE.

Old 01-29-2002, 03:48 AM   #18
Babyface

Quote:
Originally posted by DoctorGonzo:
DSL can be faster, because you're not sharing a connection with your neighbors, as you are with a cable modem. However DSL suffers from a few major drawbacks.

First, it's hard to get. You have to be within a few thousand feet of the local telephone exchange.

Second, the service can suck. The installation people are always saying they will be over "Real soon now", and it can go down for days at a time, after it is installed due to crappy providers.

If you can overcome these hurdles, DSL can be much better than Cable, but you really need to do some checking around first before you take the plunge. See how other customers in your area are being treated and how their experience has been.

Broadband provdiers in the U.S have had problems with spending too much to build the infastructure without actually learning how to deal with the flood of customers they have welcomed.

Many people are giving up on broadband alltogether because of the shite service they have to endure. Check out this article for more on broadband defectors
I've been lucky. I have had cable for 3 years my speed averages 400 Kilobytes per second and have had no real problems to mention.