Buying Used Movies - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 01-30-2007, 07:36 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 08:25 AM
Buying Used Movies

does anyone else do that?

usually I wait a month or two after a movie comes out, and buy 3 for 25 bucks at Hollywood Video.

I got Little Miss Sunshine, Snakes on a Plane, and Superman Returns for 25 bucks today.

I think it's the only way to buy movies on a limited budget

Old 01-30-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
love, blood, life
Local Time: 02:25 AM
I do that with movies and albums. Actually, used CD shopping is a favorite (albeit expensive) hobby of mine.

Nothing better for DVDs than pawn shops though. Arrested Development first season...10 dollars. Nice.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Blue Crack Distributor
Local Time: 06:25 AM
A lot of CDs and movies I buy are used. I don't buy many DVDs these days, but the ones I do are often used.

I love using to buy used stuff.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:34 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:25 AM
I rent DVDs from Hollywood Video with their 5 for $5 deal and then I make copies of the ones I want to keep
Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
you are what you is
Local Time: 03:25 PM
DVDs here are quite cheap here if you wait a few months. Always lots of sales too.
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 01-31-2007, 09:09 AM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier
Local Time: 05:25 AM
I buy the majority of my DVD's used. Occasionally I'll buy a new DVD, but only if I really loved the movie, and if it's on sale.
Insert something interesting here
Old 01-31-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 09:25 AM
Back when people used VCR's, I used to buy used VHS rentals for $4.99. A used DVD of decent movie runs about $9.99. That's too rich for my blood. Lol! Bottom Line: Used movies are ok to buy.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict
I typically don't buy movies or CDs, but if I did I'd get used ones at Blockbuster. They are 4 for $20.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #9
Local Time: 01:25 PM
I buy nearly all my DVDs used at Blockbuster (pity Hollywood Video went out of business in NYC, but when I visit my folks, I make sure to stop by Hollywood and Movie Gallery for their Buy 2, Get 2 deal).

It's always kind of hit or miss. I haven't bought any for a while, but last time I bought stuff, I went a little crazy buying Breakfast on Pluto, The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill, Good Night and Good Luck, His Girl Friday (what a find!), Grizzly Man, Everything is Illuminated, and Neil Young's Heart of Gold. Last time I popped in they had Babe, but literally nothing else I wanted for the 4 for $20 sale. Booo! Though, it was probably just as well. Like I need any more DVDs.

Though, sometime's I'll buy a movie the first week it comes out (since they're always on sale at Best Buy/Circuit City), like Little Miss Sunshine (a special edition with a traveller's fun filled activity book!).
Old 02-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #10
Blue Crack Distributor
I used to buy movies like crazy, but in the past few years that's stopped altogether. Around Christmas I picked up a few used when I was at the video store. I might have to start browsing the sales, because some of the ones I've seen lately (Little Miss Sunshine, etc) are ones I'd like in my collection.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #11
The Fly
Local Time: 01:25 PM
I have tons of movies thanks to the previous used collection at Hollywood Video and Blockbuster. Only way to buy movies if you ask me.

Also on a sidenote a little discovery of mine is the vending movie redbox machines. Go to and they will tell you where they are located, usually in McDonalds or grocery stores. Rent new releases for $1 a night. It's pretty awesome if you can find one near you.