Buying Houses - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 08-07-2003, 08:50 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 10:33 AM
i want a home to call my own so bad, however in order for me to be a homeowner, i will have to move at least 1 hr. and half outside of Atlanta. All the homes in the areas i like start at $500,000.

Old 08-07-2003, 10:44 PM   #17
Thank you all for you encouragement!

I know things will work out eventually, it's just frustrating. I feel like I eat sleep and breathe houses. Plus - I feel like I'm the bad guy here because everytime we find something we like, I'm not willing to pay so much as my fiance is because I just cant let myself do it yet. Both of my brothers have recently boughten houses in the same area that have at least 3 good sized bedrooms and lots of space for around 300,000. Sure they need a little work, but that's expected. Everything that we have looked at with 3 bedrooms has been total crap that would take at least 20,000 additional dollars to make it decent. Everyone and their mother is taking advantage of these interest rates etc to try and sell their crap for sky-high prices. Hopefully I'll have good news soon. We're really hoping that the woman who owns this house will cave and come down a little bit since she's anxious to sell by october. Who knows at this rate!

Old 08-08-2003, 12:17 AM   #18
Jesus Online
Local Time: 01:33 AM
Its the best investment you will ever make. Some lawyer guy back in the 60's made headlines in Sydney having paid a whopping $60,000 for a house on Sydney harbour. Oh, how they laughed. Fool! They said.

A couple of years ago he sold it for a cool 1.2 mil.
He who laughs last, laughs the hardest.

They will always appreciate. The best of luck to you Ragin'
<a href= target=_blank></a>
Old 08-10-2003, 09:56 AM   #19
MacPhisto's serving wench
Local Time: 09:33 AM
Yeah, houses increase so much in value. I believe the hous ei live in has doubled in value over the past 18 yrs. My neighbours just sold their house for $400,000 (4 bedroom, 3 bathrooms, finished basement.

Of course, ours has probably dropped slightly now that the neighbours sold it to a drug-grower who promptly got arrested a few months after moving in...
Old 08-11-2003, 09:37 AM   #20
love, blood, life
And don't forget, as you house increases in value, so will your property tax bill!
"If you needed my autograph, I'd give it to you." Bob Dylan
Old 08-11-2003, 09:47 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
im looking at a condo right across the street from my appartment. i pay 1200 a month for a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom appt that is probably 1200 square feet.

the condo is going to be 900 square feet and $275 000. but it is a part of ottawa that is quickly becoming cool and i think i could turn a profit over 4 or 5 years.

or maybe i should just finish university first.
im the candyman. and the candyman is back.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:53 AM   #22
love, blood, life
Originally posted by MrBrau1
And don't forget, as you house increases in value, so will your property tax bill!

Amen, man.... my property tax bill makes me But luckily, my bf and I pay it quarterly so it doesn't seem tooo bad, but still bad enough.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:15 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
One of my co-workers is planning to buy a house for the first time. She has looked at more than 30 places and hasn't been able to find anything suitable. (She's looking for a two-bedroom house that she doesn't have to put a lot of money into fixing up.) Price isn't so much as issue because we are in the Midwest and are nowhere near any metropolitan areas, which tends to keep prices reasonable compared to Chicago and Minneapolis. It's simply finding something livable. She finally thought she found the perfect place and made a down payment only to discover that the furnace is a model that has been recalled. She didn't want it to blow up in the middle of the night and kill her, so she backed out of the agreement - but the owner refused to give her the down payment back!

I guess the moral of the story is be sure you check EVERYTHING out before signing on the dotted line and making a downpayment.
Old 08-11-2003, 08:36 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 08:33 AM

My wife and I are currently in a transition of home ownership/homelessness/home construction. No, it's not as bad as it sounds. We are building a new house, and due to strong home sales in our area, we sold our previous house about 3 months before our new house will be ready.

You can buy a new, 3 bedroom, 2 bath house in a nice neighborhood with a community pool and tennis court for $120,000 to $160,000. The best value is in building a new one, as we have found since we built our first one 4 years ago. That house was in a planned development neighborhood and all of our neighbors moved into their houses around the same time we moved in. This time around, we have an individual builder who is building our house on a vacant lot in an older neighborhood and we are enjoying the process much more. He is much more flexible with us and we are able to get more for less.

We have been fortunate this summer to live with my brother down the street from our old house; that somewhat takes the burden out of having to move twice. We hope to be in the new one soon.

Good luck with homebuying; You can possibly still get a good rate around the 6% range depending on how the bond markets do over the next few weeks.