Buy Less Crap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bonocrazy88

New Yorker
This is a campaign sort of against the (RED) campaign, because they say "Buy less. Give more."

http://www.buylesscrap.org/

In theory of course everyone needs to do that, but the RED project (correct me if I'm wrong) is about creating economies and reasons for people to be making products. It's like the old saying "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you will feed him for a lifetime."

In my opinion, the world would be ideal if everyone gave to charity, but it's not an ideal world and more people are going to give to a cause if it benefits them in some way. Call it selfish. Whatever. If there is something truly desirable that benefits as well, why not buy it and support looking great and being socially conscious? Charity is special and great and there should be more, but using a concept of "creating" is just as great when it gives people a chance to form their own sort of economy.

Granted, not enough money from the proceeds to these things go toward the actual cause, but in the long run, people, especially the average Joe in the US, is going to buy something that he can use and wear to benefit something rather than giving actual money straight to the fund. Also, it gives a chance to promote the cause...by endorsing it through the products we buy. We are a society *in the US* of consumers, and whether or not that's right or moral, it's just the way things are at this point. Using that consumer attitude to make a difference is the key issue... for me, in the RED campaign.

Last edited:
i'll surprise you sometime
i'll come around

oh
i'll come around

i'll give you a 20, crisp and green
you can keep the good intentions
with the left over change

saving economies
doing what's right

ha

a big picture?

global thinking is a state of mind

it's never reality

much like you alluded

but nevertheless
i'm not clicking on any more links

cute photo though.

i'd so date you if only i weren't 450 pounds.

derail.jpg

Zoomerang96 said:
i'll come around

oh
i'll come around

when you're down...

:drool:

that was the only meaningful thing posted in this thread.

a campaign that says nothing more than "give to charity and quit buying stuff" is retarded. They're not informing about any cause, just trying to make people feel guilty.

~BrightestStar~ said:

I :love: you!!!!

:lmao:

you always do me proud.

I agree though people do need to stop buying crap. Its sick to go into a walmart at anytime of the day and see carts overloaded with cheap plastic disposable garbage.

I think the difference is that the RED campaign is trying to bring more business to Africa, sustainable business, not just charity. Charity work and mission work hasn't helped Africa at all. Maybe in some isolated locales, but in general, Africa is worse off now than it was a few decades ago. Money means nothing when there's nothing to buy. People need jobs and a more stable economy, not hand-outs. Charity, aid, and mission work have their places and benefits, but on a larger scale I don't think any of those can make a significant dent in this issue.

I do think that Bono and co. are still a bit naive and have some kinks to work out, but a start is a start so I'm not going to knock them for at least trying something. I do think there are aspects of RED that are hypocritical and there needs to be more transparency, but again, I'll err on the side of optimism and hope that their concept will mature for the better.

Yes, I'd rather buy RED products than give money blindly. Actually, I prefer initiatives like Heifer Int'l or the CRWRC Gift Catalog where instead of donating money, you are buying something specific that has an economic value and the potential to generate more returns than just handing over $25. You buy someone a milk cow or a bicycle. I like those types of initiatives.

I am not sure if anyone looked at the list of charities, but one of the key organizations listed is the Global AIDS fund, the beneficiary of the (RED) campaign.

I think the point of this "Buy Less Crap" is a good one. Some who buy the (RED) shirts are buying them for the cool factor and are blindly giving without investigating the charity or the issues involved (i.e. Bono thinks this is a good thing and so do I).

"Buy Less Crap" encourages responsible giving -- forcing you to do a little homework and find organziations that both meet your needs and interests and are making a real difference in those areas you are interested in.

There was a news article a while ago that showed the percentage of profits from (RED) products that actually went to the charity was pretty low. I would rather give my money directly to a charity and be assured that a good percentage is going to people in need rather than covering the cost producing of a t-shirt.

JessicaAnn said:
I am not sure if anyone looked at the list of charities, but one of the key organizations listed is the Global AIDS fund, the beneficiary of the (RED) campaign.

I think the point of this "Buy Less Crap" is a good one. Some who buy the (RED) shirts are buying them for the cool factor and are blindly giving without investigating the charity or the issues involved (i.e. Bono thinks this is a good thing and so do I).

"Buy Less Crap" encourages responsible giving -- forcing you to do a little homework and find organziations that both meet your needs and interests and are making a real difference in those areas you are interested in.

I agree, but at the same time, I think that if we continue to single out Africa and single out charities and aid and bla bla bla...it just feeds back into the "us and them" attitude. I wish that America had a better global perspective in general. Sure, it's great to buy RED stuff at Gap for the reason that part of it goes to aid, but is that at all realistic? What about going to the grocery store? Putting gas in the tank? Paying utility bills? IMO, money is money and an economy is an economy. Lets forget all the emotional baggage for a second and just look at it in terms of promoting economic development. It really doesn't matter what our motivations are. Africa needs more developed economies, period. For me, it's beyond the point of whether people do it for the coolness factor or actually care. I'm the first to admit that I never think twice about where my cereal comes from, where my toothpaste comes from, where my home cleaning products are coming from. I guess it's almost like if we're always trying to point out "Africa", we're just creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that Africa is somehow lesser than everywhere else and therefore needs our help all the time. They need business, they need jobs, they need economic development. I don't think people there really much care whether the person buying the shirt is doing it based on altruistic motives or just wants to be part of the fad. Are we really doing it for them, or because it makes us feel better? I know I'm often guilty of the latter. I don't mean to single out your post, I'm just spouting off the top of my head, probably not making sense.... :wink:

There was a news article a while ago that showed the percentage of profits from (RED) products that actually went to the charity was pretty low. I would rather give my money directly to a charity and be assured that a good percentage is going to people in need rather than covering the cost producing of a t-shirt.

The problem I have with some charities is that a lot of donations go towards administrative costs, a lot more than we think. It's hard to find an org that is entirely transparent and will guarantee that your money is being used appropriately or will at least be honest about part of it going towards their own organizational development. I do think that the amount RED is giving is pretty crappy.

JessicaAnn said:
I would rather give my money directly to a charity and be assured that a good percentage is going to people in need rather than covering the cost producing of a t-shirt.

well obviously, but the point of RED i believe is for people to buy stuff they would have bought anyway (like a phone or an iPod) and have part of it go to charity. Ideally people would just donate to charity, but some people don't want to, or maybe dont have the cash...or there are probably many people who buy RED products and donate to charity. RED is not the ultimate solution, but I don't see how it's a bad thing :shrug:

Liesje said:

I agree, but at the same time, I think that if we continue to single out Africa and single out charities and aid and bla bla bla...it just feeds back into the "us and them" attitude. I wish that America had a better global perspective in general. Sure, it's great to buy RED stuff at Gap for the reason that part of it goes to aid, but is that at all realistic? What about going to the grocery store? Putting gas in the tank? Paying utility bills? IMO, money is money and an economy is an economy. Lets forget all the emotional baggage for a second and just look at it in terms of promoting economic development. It really doesn't matter what our motivations are. Africa needs more developed economies, period. For me, it's beyond the point of whether people do it for the coolness factor or actually care. I'm the first to admit that I never think twice about where my cereal comes from, where my toothpaste comes from, where my home cleaning products are coming from. I guess it's almost like if we're always trying to point out "Africa", we're just creating a self-fulfilling prophecy that Africa is somehow lesser than everywhere else and therefore needs our help all the time. They need business, they need jobs, they need economic development. I don't think people there really much care whether the person buying the shirt is doing it based on altruistic motives or just wants to be part of the fad. Are we really doing it for them, or because it makes us feel better? I know I'm often guilty of the latter. I don't mean to single out your post, I'm just spouting off the top of my head, probably not making sense.... :wink:

The problem I have with some charities is that a lot of donations go towards administrative costs, a lot more than we think. It's hard to find an org that is entirely transparent and will guarantee that your money is being used appropriately or will at least be honest about part of it going towards their own organizational development. I do think that the amount RED is giving is pretty crappy.

I don't disagree with what you are saying about that throwing money at Africa isn't the answer. There needs to be sustainable development and investment in African nations. But, it's a long slow process and big results are not going to come quickly.

In general, people need to think of giving as more than just buying a t-shirt. It's giving money, and more importantly it's about giving time.

When it comes to charitable giving, it's all about doing your homework.

I have worked with nonprofit charitable organizations and the good ones are extremely transparent -- if they are not, they are usually called on it pretty quickly.

Here in the U.S. through the Better Business Bureau's Web site, http://www.give.org/ , you can investigate varios charities, including how much of their money goes directly to helping people and how much goes towards administrative expenses.

Last edited:
JessicaAnn said:
Some who buy the (RED) shirts are buying them for the cool factor and are blindly giving without investigating the charity or the issues involved (i.e. Bono thinks this is a good thing and so do I).

I'll tell you why I honestly bought them.

I was at the Gap with a couple of friends and they were selling them 2 for $25. Not the Inspi(RED) ones but with different words on them and in a variety of colours (red, charcoal, heather grey, beige). They were cheap and we needed t-shirts and I like a v-neck, so....

I wasn't rushing out to buy them when they came out, and I'm dubious about how much success they have longterm anyway.

It was a beautiful day, and I did not want it to get away

anitram said:

I'll tell you why I honestly bought them.

I was at the Gap with a couple of friends and they were selling them 2 for $25. Not the Inspi(RED) ones but with different words on them and in a variety of colours (red, charcoal, heather grey, beige). They were cheap and we needed t-shirts and I like a v-neck, so....

....I bought four "RED" shirts (three T-shirts and a polo-like shirt) all because they were priced at like 4USD.

I bought them because I love irony!

the State of Indiana got more of my money than the RED campaign. :D

JessicaAnn said:

I don't disagree with what you are saying about that throwing money at Africa isn't the answer. There needs to be sustainable development and investment in African nations. But, it's a long slow process and big results are not going to come quickly.

In general, people need to think of giving as more than just buying a t-shirt.

Right, but for me it's not about giving, it's about economic development. No economy can develop and mature based on charitable donations. There's a time and a place for giving - be it money, time, help, etc - but in the grand scheme of things, giving is not going to pull an entire continent out of an economic slump. I've got nothing against charity orgs and non-profits (I do volunteer web management for such orgs), but no developed country got where they are today because of aid. Personally, I'd be more excited if RED would try something like Edun, but on a bigger, more marketable scale - instead of donating part of the proceeds, just setup for-profit businesses that create jobs and local industries.

Back
Top Bottom