Burning copies of albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
I don't have a problem with burning compilation CD's. I don't have a prob with downloading mp3's. However, I have mixed feelings about making copies of complete albums. Someone I know wants to borrow my U2 Best of 80's CD to burn a copy. Should I loan it out? Why or why not?

Well, I typically look down on that sort of thing.
BUT I have in the past burned a copy of Best Of for a relative, because they didn't have a copy, and they gave me a copy of a CD I couldn't afford.
But I do think it's a bad idea just to burn CDs for every friend in town, but for a few friends for a one-time-only thing I think it's OK.
smile.gif

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 02-25-2002).]

Nah, tell them to spend the $12 and buy it new. I had a friend who wanted to do the same thing, I "forgot" to bring it to work everyday. Eventually they forgot about it.

If it was some struggling band I'd say buy the album.

But somehow I dont think U2 would notice that $12 is missing.

normally i wouldn't agree with this but is it not better to pass the music along than withhold it on the grounds of intellectual property rights?

think about the loss to U2 or even the recording industry versus the enjoyment derived out of the burned disc.

unless, of course, you're principles are very strong on this issue.

I think it depends on the person you're loaning it to. If they are not going to buy the album and thus not listen to the music, then I say burn it and try to get them hooked on U2. When I started exploring the band, I didn't want to drop a lot of cash, so I burned my first album or two, but then I fell into hard-core U2 fandom and nothing less than the original albums would do. So of course, I went out and bought originals of everything including the stuff I had burned. Hook them on the music first...that's my opinion...if it makes a bit of sense.
biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom