Bumping old threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elvis Presley

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Ok, honest question here, why is bumping an old thread so "taboo"?

I kinda see it as a trip down memory lane....

If this is a bad thing to do, why not dump all the old pages?

anyway, not a big deal, just wondering........

also. bumping old threads make me think of wearing retro clothing.......

ah, double meanings, gotta love it eh?

There's no problem with it when its relevant or an occasional thing because something was funny etc. Its frowned upon as being annoying when it is done incessantly or there is no real purpose. Threads that may have had issues sometimes come up, and those for obvious reasons should remain buried. Not everything needs to be deleted, but its just hoped that people will be sensible about it, you know?

I agree with the "Issues" piece....

But getting angry because someone bumps a thread is really silly. And then to belittle them or put angry faces or thumbs down - just not necessary. Take it up with a moderator of THAT SPECIFIC FORUM (like what Salome said).

I know this is probably something for "suggest," but I wonder if threads can expire (just be read, but not really "locked") to avoid TRUE hardships of bumped threads (prior issues between members.....banned members...etc.)?

Angela Harlem said:
Its frowned upon as being annoying when it is done incessantly or there is no real purpose.
true :up:

my guess is that if it would be forum policy not to bump old threads at all we wouldn't have the similar thread option at the bottom of every thread

and I don't like bitching to other forum members in general
if you don't like something contact a mod

Last edited:
Salome said:
true :up:

my guess is that if it would be forum policy not to bump old threads at all we wouldn't have the similar thread option at the bottom of every thread

and I don't like bitching to other forum members in general
if you don't like something contact a mod

you da man salome.....i just wondered why i always got a :mad: or a :angry: when bumping a old thread....

zonelistener said:
I agree with the "Issues" piece....

But getting angry because someone bumps a thread is really silly. And then to belittle them or put angry faces or thumbs down - just not necessary. Take it up with a moderator of THAT SPECIFIC FORUM (like what Salome said).

I know this is probably something for "suggest," but I wonder if threads can expire (just be read, but not really "locked") to avoid TRUE hardships of bumped threads (prior issues between members.....banned members...etc.)?

I agree with all of that. I think the smilies are not only not necessary as they are belittling, but not necessary as it is widely known that repetitive bumping and such is not preferred. Bumping is fine and good like Salome said which is why the similar threads feature is there, but it comes down to common sense.
I'm not really going to add anything new, but yeah take it up with someone if you have a problem with anything.
Bear, its all on your head if you do something with the sole purpose of annoying someone, or because you know it will be a shit stir.

threads are like conversations

to bump a thread because it is germane to current discussion
or worth bringing up again is one thing

it is not much fun conversing with someone that is always bringing up the past

bumping should be done with discretion

maybe we need a forum of bumped threads where members can relive their greatest hits

this thread could be moved there

will somebody plez define annoying?..

thank u
db3

Last edited:
Just for a minute lets all do the bump....bump, bump, bump
Yeaaaaaahh, Can't Touch This.

smart-alecs and naerdowells will be the death of us all

deep said:

bumping should be done with discretion

this thread is going to be bumped for years to come by smart-alecs and naerdowells.

sure, pander to my weakness, my habit - kick em' when he's down. I'd put Fiddy rupies (IRP) on it.

Salome would get a cut of all of the rupies I get - despite the fact that 40 rupies is less than one canadian dollar which relates back to like a pence - but it would be a few pesos....

Back
Top Bottom