Bumpass, Virginia Superthread - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 AM   #826
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Sounds good.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #827
The Male

Local Time: 12:59 PM
At this point, the only option is a running diary. They make listening more fun.

Now.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #828
Blue Crack Supplier

Running diaries are awesome.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #829
The Male

The peak will always be Axver's review of LMP's DI4 list, but there have been some other good ones.

Now.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:59 AM   #830
Blue Crack Supplier

We need to link to that. NOW. I need to re-read that.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #831
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Melon is one of the few that actually know their stuff in that section. Irvine is pretty sharp too, but he's so condescending that it's difficult to have a debate with the guy purely for fun.
melon and yolland are really the only two I take seriously. I've never been so keen on Irvine. He seems like a good guy, but yeah, the condescending tone he sometimes uses gets me. I feel it's hard to have a discussion with him if you disagree even a little.

Oh, I do love it whenever Earnie Shavers shows up, too. Shame we haven't had a good Australian politics thread for a while. And I wonder if anybody will show when I make a thread for the 2008 New Zealand election once its date is announced.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #832
Vocal parasite

Quote:
The peak will always be Axver's review of LMP's DI4 list, but there have been some other good ones.
I don't think I was really that harsh or condescending.

I mean, I know LMP took it that way and I feel bad about that. I've been more careful since. But by my standards of rubbishing music, I thought I was tame and in it more for the lulz than anything.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2008, 12:02 PM   #833
Blue Crack Supplier

I love that Melon is a great Bible study, so he has the rare ability to correct the religious right on their cornerstone: the Bible. They usually quote that all the time in debate with liberals because most haven't read the whole thing through and don't really care what it says. Melon has studied it greatly and knows it much better than those who merely think they do, and that fucking owns everyone.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #834
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
We need to link to that. NOW. I need to re-read that.
http://forum.interference.com/showth...&pagenumber=49

It fucking pwns all. Also amusing is Screwy eating me alive because I didn't like Smashing Pumpkins' Zeitgeist album.

Now.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:10 PM   #835
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I love that Melon is a great Bible study, so he has the rare ability to correct the religious right on their cornerstone: the Bible. They usually quote that all the time in debate with liberals because most haven't read the whole thing through and don't really care what it says. Melon has studied it greatly and knows it much better than those who merely think they do, and that fucking owns everyone.
I can kind of see why melon keeps at it, too, as there is a bit of a thrill at owning the religious right at their own game. My stepbrother tried to convert me to Christianity last month after I told him I'm an atheist. The tone of the discussion rather changed when he revealed he hadn't even read all of the Gospels, let alone all of the New Testament or the whole Bible, while I've read the entire Bible twice and the New Testament nine times. Fun times.

One day, I'd love to have even half the depth of knowledge of it as melon clearly does. Sure, I don't believe it and think most of it is borderline ridiculous, but the role it has played in history, society, and politics makes it a source of endless interest.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2008, 12:11 PM   #836
Vocal parasite

Also, yes, I did just say I'm an atheist. I think it's become increasingly apparent over the last couple of months that I'm a little more than just agnostic. I figure I better be honest with myself.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #837
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

My stepbrother tried to convert me to Christianity last month after I told him I'm an atheist. The tone of the discussion rather changed when he revealed he hadn't even read all of the Gospels, let alone all of the New Testament or the whole Bible, while I've read the entire Bible twice and the New Testament nine times. Fun times.
That is epic fail. He meant well, but you really don't have to reveal information that pwns you like that.

I'm pretty sure I've read every book except a few in the OT. I've read the New Testament over and over.

Now.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #838
Blue Crack Supplier

I've never read the Bible. I've heard it read in church, that's it. I've no interest in it.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #839
Vocal parasite

Quote:

That is epic fail. He meant well, but you really don't have to reveal information that pwns you like that.

I'm pretty sure I've read every book except a few in the OT. I've read the New Testament over and over.
To be perfectly honest, you aren't really missing much when it comes to certain Old Testament books. I've read some Old Testament books repeatedly - to this day, I love Ecclesiastes (it has always been my favourite book, actually). But some of the random minor prophets don't add anything new or earth-shatteringly important. This is why I've only read the entire Old Testament twice.

I do hope everybody who actually believes Christianity has at least sat down and taken the time to read Genesis, Exodus, Proverbs, Job, Isaiah, and of course Ecclesiastes. I couldn't tell you how many times I have read Ecclesiastes.

And every fundie must read Song Of Solomon.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #840
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I've read the New Testament over and over.
By the way, just curious: what translations? I'm a big fan of the Amplified version, simply for the different ways it gives you to read sentences and the depth of interpretation you can draw from that. My own copy of the Amplified version is falling to bits.

I must admit I'm jealous of the Maj., since he's learning the ancient Greek to read it in its original language. I've tried to teach myself a bit of ancient Greek, but that unfortunately hasn't gone anywhere yet ...

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread