Bumberry, NSW Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the deal is to make an atmospheric mix of songs, eh? But does it have to be a single mood or can it go from relatively upbeat and loud to quiet and sombre like War or Pop?

Axver's nerdy moment for the day:

I GOT A PHOTO OF ONE OF ONLY THREE Z2 TRAMS STILL IN SERVICE TODAY!

I was at the Melbourne Uni tram stop around 3:20pm and it was fucking Z1/Z2 central! I haven't taken any photos of Z1s or Z2s before, so I was excited just to get a Z1 - of 100, 30 remain in service, and a number came through; I even got a photo of two side-by-side . The Z2s look almost identical in appearance to the Z1s, and only three of fifteen still operate. I thought that even if I did get a photo of one, I probably wouldn't know - it'd be too far for me to see the number at the time, and it wouldn't show in the photo, or something like that. The numbers are the only real way I have to tell them apart, as the main differences are in technological aspects, not appearance. But I was close enough to see it was #114, a Z2 ... :drool:

:nerd:

Axver said:
It's a special Kite. Tim Moriarty plays guitar and Edge is on the didgeridoo.
:lmao:!!!! Damn, I would pay a lot to see that. The smartarse probably knows how to play it too :lol:

It's all PHAIL unless they snippet In The Air Tonight.... in the middle of Boomerang.

Alisaura said:

:lmao:!!!! Damn, I would pay a lot to see that. The smartarse probably knows how to play it too :lol:

I'd give my appendix to see that! :wink:

Opening act is Phail Collins, performing the Arcade Fire's Wake Up.

major_panic said:
So the deal is to make an atmospheric mix of songs, eh? But does it have to be a single mood or can it go from relatively upbeat and loud to quiet and sombre like War or Pop?

You can do whatever you like, really. Here's what I've done:

Desert Island I: is better left forgotten. Songs I think are cool - or thought were cool - arranged in a cohesive manner but with no central goal.

Desert Island II: Again, I had no theme or story, but I tried to make a collection of songs that made sense, in the context of great songwriting. I wanted to highlight both the songwriting and emotive aspects of prog, and to give attention to some lesser-knowns of other genres. I came second overall in that tournament and I'm still proud of that tracklist.

Desert Island III: I think this was my best and I'm not sure I will ever top the second half. It tells a story of two early pioneers in New Zealand, and the descent of their life from an idyllic unspoilt paradise to murder and suicide.

The mini-tournaments:
Prog Island: No core story, just some prog stuff arranged in what I hoped was a cohesive manner.
Symphonic Island: I think the opening sentences from the summary I submitted say it best: "The harsh Cold War reality has been replaced by the fearful and corrupt War On Terror reality. In a bleak world of monotonous life in a rundown post-Soviet city, one man pours his soul into his guitar to avoid being trampled down and forgotten."

Alisaura said:

You rotten tease. :madwife:

They also play Red Hill Mining Town. Edge sings the second half because Bono loses his voice.

Alisaura said:

It's all PHAIL unless they snippet In The Air Tonight.... in the middle of Boomerang.

But can he play the theremin? :hmm:

And I guess it's all PHAIL then. In The Air Tonight is snippeted during One Step Closer. :down:

major_panic said:

Which then segues into Van Diemen's Land, or so I've heard...

The whole thing becomes an Edge lovefest really.

Here's the start of the set:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet)
3. Street Mission / Acrobat (snippet) / Heartland (snippet)
4. The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / Break On Through (snippet)
5. Ultra Violet
6. In A Little While / Elvis Ate America (snippet)
7. Red Hill Mining Town
8. Van Diemen's Land
9. Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
10. Numb
11. Seconds

... but I better not spoil it all for Ali. :wink:

Axver said:
The whole thing becomes an Edge lovefest really.

Here's the start of the set:

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo / She Loves You (snippet)
3. Street Mission / Acrobat (snippet) / Heartland (snippet)
4. The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / Break On Through (snippet)
5. Ultra Violet
6. In A Little While / Elvis Ate America (snippet)
7. Red Hill Mining Town
8. Van Diemen's Land
9. Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
10. Numb
11. Seconds

... but I better not spoil it all for Ali. :wink:
Edgefest!! :yippie:

You're setting me up for severe disappointment, you ratbag... :lol:

Alisaura said:

I dunno what that is, but probably :wink:

The theremin is the COOLEST. INSTRUMENT. EVER.

Per Wiki: "... it is unique in that it was the first musical instrument designed to be played without being touched. The controlling section generally consists of two metal antennas to sense the relative position of the player's hands."

major_panic said:
I've always wondered why he doesn't get more time "on air" as it were. His voice is sometimes almost indistinguishable from Bono's anyway.
I would love to see Edge step up to the mic more often... but like Ax's wish for One to never be played again, it probably ain't gonna happen. :wink:

I was enjoying his backing vocals on LNOE today... :up:

Roll on the Edge solo project... with words this time!

Alisaura said:

Edgefest!! :yippie:

You're setting me up for severe disappointment, you ratbag... :lol:

:lol:

Well, whatever your least favourite U2 song is, they play it. TWICE.

major_panic said:

I've always wondered why he doesn't get more time "on air" as it were. His voice is sometimes almost indistinguishable from Bono's anyway.

I agree. I'd love to see him get some mic time on the next tour.

Though what I most wish I'd seen was his birthday gig on 8 August 1993 in Glasgow, when Bono made him do Lost Highway, a song he barely knew! :lol:

Seriously, Melissa and I discussed going to Vrbno pod Pradědem, Czech Republic for the next thread ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom